“moving from Chicago to San Diego with a dog...”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Mitchell
San Diego, California
“moving from Chicago to San Diego with a dog...”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

...second night on our journey moving with a dog. Econo Lodge in Mitchell was almost exactly the same as Econo Lodge in Des Moines. The room was comfortable, the desk staff helpful at recommending restaurants in the area. The bed was fine, there was a refrigerator in the room for soda and beer. Needed the air conditioner, it was really hot out, and it worked well. No charge for the dog here, unless I missed it, so $75 for the room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Bellaire, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were travelling in the area and needed to find a hotel for the night. I searched the internet and found that if we stayed a couple hours from Sioux Falls, SD we would get much better prices. In my search we came across Econo Lodge so I booked through an agency. We had a clean room with good accommodations for a decent price. We left before breakfast so I cannot say how the breakfast was but I can say that when we booked the room they adjusted the price accordingly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed 1 night and I'm not sure I could have made it. The room was clean but needed a paint job real bad. The bed wasn't very comfortable, and the breakfast was very basic. For the price, I was dispointing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 August 2013

It was a cheap place to stay in Mitchell, older motel that could use some update's. It was ok, but we didn't expect much, and we didn't get it either. Be to breakfest early, because they shut it down early. they told us it was open until 9:30 and when we got there at 9:15 it was already closed. Dissapointed in that. It may pay to shop some of the small old school motels in the area, they may be nicer and a better deal.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Wolsey, South Dakota
Reviewed 14 February 2013

My husband had to be at Avera Hospital at 6:30 in the morning, so we decided to stay in Mitchell the night before the surgery. We have stayed at Econo Lodges on other trips and were very pleased with our stays. This was not the greatest experience!! No one at the front desk, so you had to call to get them up to help. We asked for a no smoking room, and the room reeked of stale smoke. The bathroom fan was so noisy and made a terrible humming noise. The TV did not have a remote and did not work. So we had to call to get someone to get it working. We asked for a wake up call, and they said no problem. We woke up by ourselves at 6:10 and were late getting to the hospital, which made for a very stressful morning!! The bed was good, the room was decent, but I would not recommend this motel.
It needs a complete makeover, and better staff!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Mitchell hotels

Iowa
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I have been staying in hotels for travels over the past 42 years and this was the worst. It was dirty, smelly, and the non smoking rooms reeked of smoke. The windows would not open, so I could not air out the room. At 4am, the noise was crazy from the room above. The clerk was not interested in trying to help with options, including a different room, even though the motel was not full.
This could go on, but suffice it to say staying here is a major mistake. I sent an email to corporate with the details, and did eventually get a call. I was told they would have the local manager contact me. It did not happen, so I contacted corporate again. No surprise, but no response.
Bottom line, if this is the last motel with space available, as it was when I stayed there, sleep in the park. It will be a better experience.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MaryRAl
Reviewed 24 August 2012 via mobile

When we walked into the building, we noticed that you have to actually pick up a phone and call someone to come check you in/out. When we went to our room downstairs, where it was all supposedly a non-smoking area, the smell of smoke was the first thing we noticed. Yuck! When we got into the room, we saw that in one area there was enough space between the wall and the floor for crickets and other bugs to get into the room. Had to get creative to shut the one cricket up! There was also a fabric-covered chair in the room. Wish I would not have sat in it, as I did not know how old or dirty it truly was. When we took a shower in the morning, not only did we notice that the toilet was not completely clean, but there was only one towel (with a brown spot on it)...for a room with a king size bed! They did, however, leave us 3 floor mats for whatever reason, so one of those became a small towel. The highlight of our stay was the free breakfast, which was actually better than the ones I am used to. They have Belgian waffles! That did not make up the overall lack of value here though. I would not recommend staying here if you can afford better.

• Stayed August 2012