“Nice place to stop”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mitchell
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Mitchell
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed overnight at this hotel both going to and coming from Rapid City and the Black Hills. Because of road construction, reaching the hotel (even though conveniently located) is a bit of a problem, but the hotel is very clean, the rooms are very nice, and the staff were very friendly. The breakfast is the usual "free breakfast" fare, but it is well prepared. I only have two complaints: first, the pancake machine makes rather tough pancakes; and, second, I wish there were a microwave in the room to warm up water for my nasal rinse. I tried using the sink in the bathroom but the stopper leaked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor away from the freeway.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have stayed at numerous Holiday Inn Express, I am a Gold Club Member, but I have never had the treatment by the front desk as I did here. When my husband and I were checking in the desk clerk acted like it was a huge bother to check us in. When I presented my Gold Club card expecting to receive a bottle of water or a little goody bag, like I always get when I check in, she said yes she knew I was a member and that was it. No water, no newspaper in the morning....nothing. I don't see any point in staying there again.

1  Thank rupelisa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mitchell, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear rupelisa,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Gold member and for leaving us a feedback. We sincerely apologize we were not able to honor your IHG Rewards Club perks and for the service you encountered which affected your stay negatively. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I've stayed at enough Holiday Inn Express Hotels to have certain expectations about the experience. Everything was as anticipated- clean rooms, standard breakfast (a few hot options, limited "winter fruit" and cereal items), convenient location and check-in. The pool has the added waterslide. This is a long tube slide, and my kids loved it. There is a height and swimming skill requirement, and the lifeguards allow only one person on the long stairway/slide at a time. Bottom line is that lines can form. The water in the main pool is very cold and us adults found ourselves taking turns in the whirlpool or huddling in the toddler pool area, which had very warm water. There were several restaurants within walking distance, including Cherry Berry and a barbecue grill. I am not convinced there is a better, more convenient option in the area, but there is nothing particularly memorable about the place either.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I drive from Chicago to Livingston, Montana once a year and can get as far as Mitchell, SD. before calling it a night (about 11 hours of driving). So if you're a road warrior like me you cannot go wrong with the Mitchell Holiday Inn Express. The check-in service is prompt and friendly, The hotel is clean, the beds are comfortable and the reasonable rate includes a breakfast buffet (pretty typical fare for this class of lodging). It's located right off a major exit on I-90 (exit 332). If you're westbound on 90, this is the best exit for rest and food. The options further down the road quickly diminish until you get to Rapid City, another four hours away. There are other major chain hotels (and restaurants) at this exit, but I got lucky with this hotel on my first trip and have now stayed here 6 or 7 times. I've not been disappointing yet.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Very clean with helpful and friendly staff. The breakfast offered a wide variety of food. We were within walking distance of several restaurants, Wall Mart, Cabelas, and other shopping. The pool offered a water slide which would delight kids. In the wading pool a water slide which looked like a lion was really cute and just the right size for toddlers. We will keep our eyes open for other Hoiiday Inn Expresses as we travel.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed one night. (Relied on AAA Tour book for information about lodging in the area and settled on Holiday Inn Express. We got to town and noticed there is also an AmericInn which we are rewards program members - would've prefered to get the points at AmericInn. Oh well. Serves as reminder that the AAA is incomplete!)

Overall, fine accomodations. Breakfast is standard fare. (It's nice to be able to grab a yogurt or milk for the road.) I wish, however, that decent coffee would be served when hotels offer "free breakfast". I'm not talking espresso, fancy drinks, or chain coffee brands - but a simple but solid cup-of-joe - not the colored water that's so often served. The coffee here was ok - better than some. If a hotel chain could master consistently offering a good cup of coffee in the morning, I would be a return guest for sure - rewards program or not!

No complaints, lodging met our needs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mitchell, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear DarleneQ,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note of your valuable comments regarding breakfast and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Crystal very friendly checked us in. Cheryl kept the breakfast area stocked and clean and greeted everyone with a big smile and good morning. Jan assisted me the next morning to book another HIE at Rapid City, SD.

• Stayed: September 2013