“Ok for overnight stay”

Thunderbird Lodge Mitchell
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mitchell
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stopped on our way our to the Black Hills over Labor Day weekend for one night. The rooms are definitely old and pretty dated. The carpet has seen better days. On the plus side, they have installed new flat panel tvs. THe first room we were assigned had a couple small bugs on the bathroom floor. I am not sure what kind they were, nor do I want to know really. We switched to a room across the hall and I did not find any bugs, so we stayed the night. The woman at the front desk was very nice about it. For as old as this place is I suppose it is as clean as it can be. The next morning on our way out I could not help but notice that all of the maid carts had ant and roach spray on them. So maybe they already know about the bugs. But it was cheap. About half the price of the nearby chains. So there's that.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt C, Owner at Thunderbird Lodge Mitchell, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! All are appreciated.

I'm glad our desk clerk on duty took the time to find you a room that was clean and comfortable. While South Dakota offers us so many positives one of the things we constantly deal with are the "critters" that our cooler Autumn nights bring. 28 of our rooms have outside entrances to our parking lot and we are not naive to the fact that occasionally flies, ants etc. make their way in. We equip all of our housekeeping carts with flying insect spray to do what we can to stay ahead of this issue.

Thank you for mentioning our affordable rates and hopefully we'll see you next time you're in Mitchell!

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We stopped here our first night on the way to Keystone. Did not have a reservation, but they had rooms. Very nice and quiet, older hotel, but quaint and very clean!! Friendly staff!! Easy on/off from I90. Just sorry we did not visit the Corn Palace!

Room Tip: The coupon books at visitor centers has a coupon for a cheaper rate!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Matt C, Owner at Thunderbird Lodge Mitchell, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, Felicia!

Being a smaller, independently owned property we rely heavily on walk-in traffic. Very glad you found us!

I take great pride in cleanliness and customer service, and I'm happy that we met your standards on both accounts during your stay with us.

Next time you're through Mitchell be sure to stop in and say hello! After the Corn Palace visit this time!

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stay here 4 or 5 times a year. This is best deal in town. If you want to pay triple the amount go up across the street to the big chain competitor . Or if you want a clean quite room with a good breakfeast this is the place. I have never had anything but good results for 4 years now I'm not high maintance just looking for great value and this is the place! Just ask for Matt the owner, he will make your stay comfortable take my word.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you so much for leaving us a review!

There are so many options for travelers here in Mitchell and while some really don't mind paying extra for things like indoor water parks we like to think we fill a niche for guests like yourself that just want a clean, comfortable room along with a bite to eat in the morning.

Thank you for the tip on asking for me, but don't be afraid to ask for our other desk clerks as they are more than capable to help with anything you might need... I'll be here too, just in case!

Thanks, again!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Mitchell S.D. is not exactly a hotbed of tourism, but the Corn Palace is fun and different and the folks of Mitchell are happy to see you. This was especially true at the Thunderbird Inn. Even though it was no doubt their busiest time of year, motorcycle week at Sturgis, S.D., the staff were friendly and helpful. I requested extra towels for my room and though it was rush hour at the motel they managed to find time to fix me up and still be cheerful. The hotel was clean and well run, and though this is an older property you can tell that the owners still take pride in it. It is located close to interstate 80 and is easy to find, with it's big entrance sign. I will likely stay there again, now that I kinow how good it is.

Room Tip: Arrive early if you can and ask to see your room before you check in.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for the review, James!

That is a busy week, indeed! We take great pride in the level of customer service we offer as we know you have many options when you come to Mitchell.

Thank you very much for staying and we hope to see you next time you're through!

Reviewed 6 September 2013

What an unpleasant experience. The lobby smelled old & musty (should have been our first clue) but we had just driven 10 hours. The room was disgusting....the carpet stained & pieced together (it wasn't even stitched together where it was pieced, you could see cement). The bed was not comfortable at all (so hard & the box springs had a huge stain on the side of it). The sheet didn't fit the bed. There were paint splatters in the sink. I think it might have been as clean as it could possibly have been due to the apparent age of the facility.The motel needs to be updated in the worst way.

After looking back I can't believe we slept there. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you taking the time to leave a review, Sherri.

As the owner of this property, I take every comment seriously either positively or negatively. I searched your name in our database, but couldn't find anything, and I'm curious as to what room you stayed in and other specifics that can help me research your stay. If you have time, please call the property here and ask for me.

Regarding our lobby, yours is the first I've heard addressing the smell, but like I said, I take this seriously and will explore any avenue to ensure that it doesn't continue.

We are proud of the updates we've offered to guests over the past few years and will continue to work to improve to ensure all guests have a pleasant experience.

Again, thanks for taking the time, Sherri. Hope to hear from you soon.

Matt.

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We booked the room at the last minute and not only got a great deal but also got just what we needed: a clean and quiet room, comfortable bed and an excellent shower. We were happy with the accommodations especially after a long day of driving!

• Stayed: August 2013
Matt C, Owner at Thunderbird Lodge Mitchell, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thanks for staying with us on your recent trip to Mitchell! I'm pleased you were able to find us at the last minute and get exactly what you were looking for. As a local and independently owned property we try to provide everything you need without having to pay for things you don't.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We were on our way to Mt Rushmore, and didn't realize until late in the afternoon it was Sturgis week. We stoped at Thunderbird and were able to get a room usning the coupon, even though it was a smoking (we don't) we took it knowing it would be hard to even find a room. The young lady at the desk was wonderful, had just checked in 9 bikers into 9 rooms. We had concern about noise due to the bikes but there wasn't, she said if there was to call her and she would tell them. Check in went smoothly, room was comfortable and clean. We ate dinner at the restaurant accross the parking lot which was good. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your review! I'm glad you recognized our desk staff's attention to detail and customer service. We realize you have many choices when you come to Mitchell and we are always genuinely happy to be of service- Even if you're not on a motorcycle!

Thanks again for your review, and we hope to see you again next time through Mitchell!