“Good basic food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The food was about what I'd expect at a small town independent restaurant. Nothing spectacular, but good, simple fare.

1  Thank NorthfieldKen

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great place to stop and have lunch in South Dakota! We stop there when ever we go thru there, which is at least once a year! Great service and good food!

2  Thank William L
Reviewed 28 August 2013

While on the road you eat at so many different places that this was definitely a pleasant change. Really good food and excellent service. I had one of the best club sandwiches that I have ever had and the prices are very reasonable.

3  Thank Excitabletraveler
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Based on other reviews (and a bad experience at the top-rated Murdo restaurant) we didn't expect much but Star Family Restaurant exceeded our expectations. Every dish we had was tasty and well-prepared. The portions were generous. The salad bar was basic but fresh and clean. Our server was friendly and attentive. (Our dishes did not all arrive at the same time, but that was our only complaint.) The atmosphere was peaceful and as closing time approached, it actually got busier. If we pass through again we will definitely stop back.

1  Thank Kingsdau
Reviewed 16 August 2013

First off, relative to the food, this is average scratch made diner food. Nothing fancy, just wholesome decent good food. But what I want to comment on is the great attitude and teamwork of the young teenage waitstaff. As we pulled in there was a bus in the lot and the diner was filled with what had to be forty or fifty senior citizens..on their way back to Philly from Mt. Rushmore. They were loud, rude, and complaining about every little thing...and then whethe waitstaff would try to correct it, they'd complain about that too. These young adults took this in stride, kept a stiff upper lip and a smile, and did their absolute best. Even after being flustered, they rallied and got through the service, and took good care of us in the meantime. I asked and they said this bus company called them only 45 minutes ahead of time. To me, that's rude on the part of the bus company.

Folks, we are quick to comment when something is wrong. I want to comment on these young adults being all right! I'd hire any one of them in a heartbeat.

4  Thank ChadinGB