“Traveling by the seat of our pants”

Elk Creek Lodge & Resort
Elk Creek Lodge & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Piedmont
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

First off, I must say we travel day by day. We took an impromptu trip over the 4th of July weekend to the Black Hills with our three youngest children. We paid $106 plus tax for one night here. We had two Queen beds and we were able to bring in our own cot. The decor and furniture were dated, but it was clean.Our room was part of triplex located on a hill overlooking the valley. I think they are typically rented out by the week so we had to purchase some shampoo, but towels and bar soap were provided. There is no restaurant on the grounds but the room had a small fridge. We loved how peaceful it was. The kids enjoyed the pool immensely. We also played a few games of tether ball. There were horseshoes and bean bag games set up. The hot tub was out of order.
In summary, it was a fair value for us.
I would recommend packing your own food, pillow, some board games and staying for a couple of days. I'm glad we found this little gem.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tonya K
There are newer reviews for Elk Creek Lodge & Resort

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We can't comment on the rooms or cabins but we have been going here for 13 yrs.. It is not as new as some of the big camp grounds but if you're tent camping there is everything you need and at a good price. Pool,bar,showers,laundry,bathrooms,little store and a kitchen with 3 meals a day. This place could use some renovation,bring back entertainment and make it more inviting to a younger crowd but it's in a great in between spot for all the rides and I will be back again for year 14.

Room Tip: Great for tent camping and a fairly peaceful campground. Great location for all the different rides.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Doug W
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We did not make any reservations and most of the hotels in Rapid City were full. We were told that this place had some rooms at a good rate (less than $100 a night). My thoughts when we drove up, was what is this a KOA campground? I was trying to be open-minded as I went into the office and asked if there was a hotel close. The nice lady said we had arrived. They did have vacancies and were priced below $100. The "hotel" rooms were on the hill. My expectations were very low, but I was wrong. The room was very clean and had all the necessary conveniences. Smoking is not permitted in the room! It was so quiet and peaceful! It is off a quiet road. There were millions of stars visible. In the morning we were greeted by a rabbit outside our door and a wonderful view. There is a petrified Forrest that would provide family entertainment. I think a family could have a great time here. The setting reminded me of summer camp. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Room was a smoking room which we didn't ask for and reeked! Mattresses stained and bugs between, used silverware and dishes in cupboard had to scrub floor before we would walk on it. What was great was that the owner seemed shocked and gave us our money back! It could be a great place!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We rented a three plex from them in April at first the owners were nice until we found out that they double booked the room beds were stained and gross had to clean the kitchen it was so very nasty... I feel awful for one lady that work there she was awesome!! The owners lied to us repeatedly I just would NEVER stay here!!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Mikenshannon
Reviewed 26 July 2011

When i first opened the door it was a pile of loose blankets and trash can (out of view in this pic) was spewed on the floor, as i walked in there were dead bugs on the carpet and i went on to find the bathroom had pubic hair and used bar of soap in the shower. It clearly had not been cleaned...To top it off there was no toilet paper!!! I went to the office at checkout to see what could be done and they said it was too late and that i should have said something b4...I explained i was a member of a wedding party and would have but was too busy with pics ect...in the end i'm left with a very poor taste in my mouth and will NEVER be going back to Elk Creek.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mattyjonesSodak
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Where to start...the website is very misleading, we rented the center part of the 3plex...pics and mgmt lead you to believe the place is bigger than it is. before we got there my mother was assured there would be plently of room for 8 adults/4 kids. When we arrived there were no steps to the loft, it is a ladder. The one bed was broken and there was no pull out couch. This room was just slightly larger than a hotel room. We complained and they moved us to the bottom section of the rental house. The house did not look like it was cleaned for some time. I noticed a black roach looking bug in the bathroom, so i wanted to see how well they cleaned...it was there all week. We had to ask for towels every day, even though they knew how many people were there. Mid week it was decided that they had rented the house to someone else and we would have to move back to the little room on friday even though the house was not rented out until saturday...only because saturday would be an inconvenience to the owners. I would not recommend staying here to anyone and will be posting negative reports on every website i can find.

• Stayed: July 2010
4  Thank stacia9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piedmont
Ramada Summerset Rapid City West
#41 of 48 in Rapid City
Howard Johnson Rapid City
Howard Johnson Rapid City
#3 of 48 in Rapid City

Been to Elk Creek Lodge & Resort? Share your experiences!