“A little gem in the Black Hills”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Spearfish, SD
“A little gem in the Black Hills”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Alex Johnson is an old historic hotel with an updated flair. The rooms are small but clean and very comfortable. The beds are great! Nice extras include a pub, coffee house, excellent chocolates for sale in the lobby and a delightful bar on the roof. The staff were friendly and always helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank magyarsd
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hotel Alex Johnson and I hope you can make a return trip in the near future. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Pierre, South Dakota
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Comfortable beds, historic charm, great downtown location! I've stayed at this hotel several times and it's my first choice in Rapid City any time I travel without children. On a recent visit, my computer would not connect to the internet... even thought the problem was with my computer and not with the hotel's wireless, the late night manager patiently and kindly helped me troubleshoot the problem, apologized, and gave me a coupon for a free drink in the fantastic rooftop lounge.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank M G
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate you choosing the Hotel Alex Johnson as your hotel of choice when staying in Rapid City. Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Big Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Most of our trip out West was wandering (no reservations), so when I suggested to my husband that we check out this hotel he said "it's gonna be $150/night." Wrong! A king-sized room was just $69.00 ($88.12 w/taxes & fees). It's a beautiful historic hotel with a rooftop bar. They also give you 2 free drink coupons (to use at the bar or coffee shop), so we used those on the rooftop. It was really cool. I wish I had looked closer at the coupons they gave me, because you could also get a free appetizer if you bought drinks too, but I didn't see that until the next morning. We had dinner up on the rooftop and enjoyed the view. There are beautiful flame towers to keep you warm enough up there, or there is also an indoor seating area if the weather is too bad. Parking was down the street a block or so, but you could unload/load in front of the hotel then go park and walk back, not too bad but might not be so fun in the winter or bad weather. The room itself was gorgeous, one of the nicest we've ever stayed in. The a/c didn't seem to keep us super cool like we like, but it was ok. We wandered around the lobby in the morning looking at the historic photos. Definitely check this place out if you're in Rapid City.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank holmz
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Historic Alex Johnson and for writing this nice review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I hope you can make a return trip in the near future.
Fairview, Montana
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. Thought it was a nice hotel, the staff was very nice. I will definitely be staying here again. Was hoping to find something in the shop about the hotel, but there was nothing. That was disappointing. My only issue with the room was that the curtains didn't go across the window, only thing was the blinds, the room was to bright all night and in the morning. There was no sleeping in.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for staying at the Hotel Alex Johnson and for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. I'm glad to hear that the staff took good care of you and your enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your insight on how we can improve our operation to further enhance our customers stay and we are looking at your recommendation.
New York
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Nice rooms. Nice location. Great staff. Stayed here 5 days to explore this part of SD. Badlands, Mount Rushmore and gold mining all nearby. Right across from the town square. Road in front closes certain nights for festivals. Check out the art alley next door.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay with us this last summer. The Hotel Alex Johnson is located in the heart of the newly renovated downtown Rapid City and is close to all the area attractions in the Black Hills. I hope you and your family can make a return trip in the near future.
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I am a ghost nut so for my 30th bday my super thoughtful and amazing husband surprised me with a haunted stay in room 812. It was such a fun and spooky stay...best birthday ever! From the amazing dinner and drinks at the exclusive Vertex, the AWESOME haunted tour from Brandon of the haunted spots in the hotel including the basement, to the amazing staff we encountered - Kurt, Kate, and Brandon. We did have our own experiences! The first was when we entered room 812 for the first time to put our bags down and settle in a bit. Taking the advise of Brandon to lift the toilet seat...it did shut 6 times by itself within the first 15 min of us being there but it never fell again the rest of our stay...very strange! Second was when we were on tour down in the basement (which itself was so eerie and very uneasy feeling) near the laundry folding table there was this very strange nook. Out of the whole hotel I felt very anxious and was covered in goose bumps. We kept hearing scratching, footsteps, and other strange things back in the nook but nothing was there.

Overall A++++ stay and experience but I will say that Brandon made it with the haunted tour! Thanks to my husband Aaron and Brandon!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday at our hotel and that the staff took very good care of you. I hope you and your husband can make a return trip in the near future.
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 15 March 2014

What a disappointment. Stayed the 8th of March 2014. Small, Dirty, moldy rooms, Bath rooms were tiny. Windows were broken and could not be opened or shut. Window frames were old and needed attention. We went to the roof top bar which is supposed to something "special".......Gas fire places had numerous cigarette butts in them. The speakers were pounding out disco tunes which made it impossible to talk or enjoy anything.We hated it . HIDDEN FEES, No disclosure of these fees up front and added 12% to our bill, Felt lied too and treated by a very petty management group. CANNOT recommend this place to anyone for any reason. No historic value or interest other than the hype, We were genuinely looking forward to this getaway and were just ripped off by the place. Try the Marriott, Hyatt, or Holiday Inn for a much better experience. Have travelled to many countries in Europe, Asia, and the US, this hotel just struck us as cheap, over hyped, over priced and we left feeling like we had been had. Will not return and will ensure none of our friends and family do either. These EXTRA fees should be investigated by the state consumer advocate.

Room Tip: Do not make a reservation. Chose another hotel. Small rooms, view of nothing
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frank j
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We want each and every guest that walk through our doors at the Hotel Alex Johnson to have a positive experience and I want to apologize to you for not making this happen with you, As far as the hidden fees that you mentioned, The Destination Fee is a fee charged be the Downtown Business District and not by the hotel. The Historic Maintenance Fee is a voluntary fee we charge to help offset the cost of maintaining the hotel and we do offer many rewards benefits to offset this cost including but not limited to two free drinks at either Paddy' O'Neill's Irish Pub or our Vertex Skybar. These fees are listed on the registration cards that you signed at the time of check in and it should have been explained fully at the time of check in and I apologize if this was missed or not filly explained. I did refund you these charges in full at the time of check out when you expressed your concerns.