“A bit of nostalgia and best location in the city!”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
Delray Beach, Florida
“A bit of nostalgia and best location in the city!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is the granddaddy establishment of Rapid City that was once the signature of opulence in this jewel of a city. It has seen better days but the new ownership is supposedly in the process of updating the entire hotel. We stayed in a suite that more than met our needs. Ample space in the two rooms and nice bathroom. The furniture is a bit dated but that adds to the sense of recall to past glory. The king bed was comfortable and had nice linens and two terry cloth robes. That said, don't let the somewhat run down appearance deter you from visiting. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. The front desk accommodated all our needs, including finding us a place to store our road bikes on the first floor so we didn't have the keep them in our room. The car valet/doorman went out of his way to assist with our luggage and car. The roof top bar has a great view of the city and there's a huge Seattle's Best coffee shop in the main lobby.

We've stayed at another major chain inn outside of downtown on I 90 two years ago and must now say we will always stay at The Hotel Alex Johnson in the future. Downtown Rapid City is a fantastic urban complex. Incredible tasteful graffiti decorate buildings walls throughout and being a professional photographer I immersed myself in shooting over 500 images of vibrant color. A great way to explore downtown. Many excellent restaurants. We dined at The Firehouse for dinner in the outside patio and listened to an excellent Blues band for two hours on a Sunday night in June. The Prairie Edge Native American store is incredible and we found ourselves viewing and purchasing from it's vast selection of clothing, art, jewelry and literature for over an hour. The Lakota tribe was sponsoring a nice festival in the downtown square, of which my wife raved and partook in a ritual dance. There are many quaint boutique shops. The Hotel Alex Johnson is at the hub of the city, the perfect location. Don't forget to walk the city to view all the quirky statues of famous historical American politicians, inventors and people of notice. The city also honors it's Native American culture in a very tasteful manner. We will return with great anticipation of discovering more hidden gems and enjoying the updated qualities of The Hotel Alex Johnson.

Room Tip: Get a suite, the upgrade is worth the minor cost increase.
3 Thank George D
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate your patronage and I hope you will continue making us your home away from home when you travel to Rapid City and the Black Hills. Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Farmington, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

I expected a lot more when I read the hotel was visited by Presidents. The rooms were very very noisy , worse than anything I recall. In addition the beds were not firm, the bedding came off while sleeping and they might as well not had window shades instead of the clunky ones provided that did not keep light out

The staff were friendly enough but service was not in their vocabulary.

If you are picking this hotel for a reason then save your money

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We normally get rave reviews about the comfort of our beds so I want to apologize to you for it not meeting your liking. I will also look into replacing the blinds on our upcoming renovation this off season. I do hope you will consider giving us a second chance to meet and exceed your expectations. Thank you.
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

I loved this hotel! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Jacob, the manager even gave my pilot (I'm a flight attendant) a tour of one of their haunted rooms! We did not meet any ghostly encounters though.

My room was equipped with a fridge and a microwave. The room/bathroom was small, but comfortable.

My very favorite part of the stay was running on the trails just about 1 mile away. I did a total of 16 miles during the 24 hours I stayed, and could have easily gone for more if I had the time and thought to pack more water/food. This may be my new favorite overnight! :D

The gym was small and could use some updates.

Food options are everywhere. There's lots of shops nearby and a delicious chocolate store in the lobby!

Be sure to check out the rooftop bar for some great views of the city!

Room Tip: They have a few "haunted" rooms for those of you who are interested. I prayed over my room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and I would like to let you know we are planning on enlarging and updating the Fitness Center this off season. Thank you and I hope you make a return trip soon.
Orange City, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed overnight at the AJ when passing through Rapid City. We loved the ambiance of the historic lobby; I wished we'd taken the time to arrange a tour of the second floor.

The room (we booked a double queen) was small, too small for two beds, a desk, dresser and nightstand. So it felt a bit crampt. Take one bed out and the room would be ideal. Next time, I plan to book a king so we have someplace to sit other than the bed.

The location is great: in the heart of downtown Rapid City, with immediate access to shops, galleries, and restaurants.

A word about parking - the hotel has the use of the third floor of the parking garage ~ a block away. You must either unload your baggage at the door (hopefully you have someone to stand guard while you park) or carry it from the garage.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to write this review. I appreciate you choosing to stay at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson on your recent visit to the Black Hills. The hotel does offer Valet Parking so on your next visit let the Valet take care of your luggage and your vehicle so you have more time to enjoy the downtown area. Thank you and I hope you make a return visit soon.
Chefchaouen, Morocco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

The hotel Alex Johnson is pretty in the lobby, but the rooms really need work. There was a distinct smell of sewer gas coming in the bathroom vent, and we had to keep the air conditioning on the whole time to try to get rid of the smell, which didn't really work so well. The air conditioning was really loud. The mattress on the bed was clearly in need of replacing. One side had been slept in all the time, so when my husband and I shared the bed, he kept rolling to my side. That was OK for an hour or so but after that it was uncomfortable. The amenities were like a Motel 6 - a tiny soap and shampoo, no lotion, which we desperately needed. For $170 it was not worth it, though nicely located in the city.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the elevator - it pings at every floor change so you'd hear it all night if...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I want to apologize for not meeting all of your expectations but we take your comments to heart and will work on improving. We are in the process of planning a major remodeling project for our guest rooms and I hope you will come back and see our improvements in the near future.
Thank you.
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

we had a small but beautiful room, great comfy bed, it was very clean! Also, you can`t beat the location, you can walk to the nice restaurants in like 5 min. The hotel has a little Chocolate store in the lobby, with VERY tasty little truffles and very friendly service! Also, a Seattle Best coffee is right next door, so we had everything we needed within minutes. Oh, they also have a roof top little lounge with great views for and afternoon/evening drink.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review about the Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate you choosing the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson during your recent stay in Rapid City and I hope we get the chance to serve you again in the future.
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Upon check-in at this hotel, I was awed by the historical atmosphere. The rooms were rather small, but the beds were super comfy. We enjoyed the rooftop bar and ease of getting breakfast at the cafe located inside the building. The location was awesome too!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsey F
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate that you took the time to write this review. Thank you and I hope you can make a return trip in the near future.