“Filthy room and poor service”

Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Not my first time here, so we got a suite as the rooms tend to be small. In spite of the fact housekeeping was on the floor as we checked in, we found the entire suite filthy dirty. Debris on the floor, wrappers in drawers, crumbs on the work desk. Only one robe in spite of the fact we were two. And when we reported the situation, housekeeping became defensive.
To their credit we were not charged the next day when we checked out ahead of schedule, but I will think twice before booking here again!

Room Tip: rooms on the west side are quieter, but can be warm in the summer.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John B
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay with us. I appreciate you telling us where we need to make improvements and I will be sharing your review with my Housekeeping Staff so they understand the importance of double checking their rooms and going the extra mile for our guest. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future so we can get the chance to offer the superior service that we are normally famous for.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stay here on occasion for work, and it is a unique hotel. The staff is almost always friendly, chatty, and smiling. The hotel has a coffee shop, chocolate shop, and two restaurants attached which is great for when there are blizzard conditions. In nice weather, the hotel is at the heart of the small town downtown of Rapid City, so it is only a stroll to all the shops and parks. There are numerous cafes, restaurants and bars nearby as well. On this particular stay, a staff member named Carrie helped me. I asked her the hours of a local business, which she didn't know, but she stopped what she was doing and phoned them right away to ask. That, to me was above and beyond, as she could have simply said that she didn't know and left it at that. Other than that, the hotel is a historical place, so it is a cool building with amazing architectural details, but the rooms tend to be on the small side, unless you get a corner room. They are always clean, though.

Room Tip: Corner rooms provide more space
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GMAlexJohnson, General Manager at Hotel Alex Johnson Rapid City, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about the Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate you choosing us as your hotel of choice when traveling to Rapid City for business. Thank you once again for your patronage and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Housekeeping is the friendliest staff at this hotel, The front desk is friendly one minute and unconcerned the next. The valet service is the worst, and no one offers to help with bags, but they do open the door for you if they are available.

The rooms are pretty much standard fare - clean and comfortable - rooms do show the age of the hotel.

Weekend nights can get rowdy since the bar at the hotel caters to all comers.

Room Tip: Even the Presidential Suite is dated and average.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to write this review. I will be sharing your comments with my staff so we can use it to motivate all of us to not only give 4 Star service but strive to give 5 Star Service. Thank you and I hope you will return and see our improvement.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

For the most part, we loved our stay here. The bed was quite comfy. However, the "one size fits all" robes must have been made for people with zero body fat, they were certainly NOT for men who have football player shoulders. When we checked in on Saturday evening there only seemed to be one valet on duty and you had to wait for him to leave your car. In a hotel of this size, in this location, one valet is insufficient. The next morning there were maybe 3 or 4, BUT there was only 1 (one) server on duty Sunday during the last World Cup games and she was covering BOTH the Vertex and the Pub. Those were my biggest complaints though, you have to have enough staff to perform at the level of being a class act, otherwise you're failing. Didn't encounter any ghosts, maybe next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent visit. I appreciate all of your comments and I will share them with my Department Heads so they can learn from your suggestions. Thank you and I hope you can make a return trip soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed at the Alex for one night. Check in along with valet parking was very easy. We did have a bit of a snafu with order room keys. After trying three different keys the finally moved us to a different room. Room was not overly large, beds were very comfy. Bath room was very small but clean. The air conditioner did not work. The roof top bar is a must. Only accessible for guest. Had great views of the city and nice glass fire pits. Note if you have children under the age of 21 they are not allowed on the roof top bar. If you do stay at this hotel make sure to buy a chocolate truffle from the candy shop in the lobby. Also keep your eyes and ears open for friendly ghosts.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate you taking the time to write this review about your recent stay. The Vertex Sky Bar located on the top of the hotel offers stellar views of the city and is a great place to unwind after a long day seeing the many local sights. Thank you for your recent patronage and I hope you can make a return visit in the upcoming future.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have stayed at the Alex Johnson for weeks at a time. The staff has always been helpful and the employees in the pub, restaurants and coffee shop are top of the line. The food is good, the service has been good, and the location is great not only for downtown Rapid City, but also as a departure point for areas of interest in and around the Black Hills. I would recommend this hotel with no reservations (no pun intended).

Room Tip: If you can get a room away from the railroad tracks, it would be a plus.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for making us your home away from home when you are traveling to Rapid City. I appreciate your patronage and I look forward to serving you on your next stay with us. Thank you once again for your continuing support.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night and really enjoyed the hotel. The front desk staff was kind and gave us several room options. We decided on a suite on the 6th floor for $199. Two rooms with a shared bathroom in the middle. It was at the end of a hallway with two entry doors (one to each room). Both rooms had air units, TVs, closets, etc. The room was great, quiet, and comfortable. We walked around the area taking photos with the president statues, hung out at Main Square where the kids had fun in the nice water feature, and had dinner nearby. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your recent stay at the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson. I appreciate you choosing to stay with us on your recent vacation and I do hope you can come back soon. Thank you!