“Second favorite stop in Black Hills trip”
Review of Bear Country USA

Bear Country USA
Ranked #8 of 76 things to do in Rapid City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a leisurely 2-mile drive through this unique North American Wildlife park nestled on 250 acres of Black Hills Beauty. From the comfort of your vehicle view black bears, wolves, elk, buffalo and other wildlife! After your drive-through tour, walk around wildlife loop where young and smaller animals frolic in the outdoors. Don't miss the Baby Bears! Dine at the Cub Grub Snack Shack or shop in the Bear's Den Gift Shop. Open May through November, weather permitting.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was #2 best memory, second to Mt Rushmore, on our trip to the Blask Hills trip. So many Bears! And up close to our car. We were able to see every animal and they all looked happy. The bear cubs were our absolute favorite!! We have 2 daughter in elementary school.

1  Thank tifwollert
Write a ReviewReviews (3,359)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"walk around"
in 84 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was by far the highlight of the trip for the kids! They loved being up close to the bears and the bears were very active on the day we were there. They were walking all over and came very close to the car which caused alot of excitement for our 4,6, and 8 year olds!

1  Thank dziesmer
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

At first, I was like "Yeah, let's go, looks cool!" But the more time we spent there, the sadder and more anxious I got.

First, I was surprised at how small the enclosures were in "the wild". The reindeer, big horn sheep, wolves, cougars, etc. were each in a space no bigger than my backyard. Most of the animals were barely moving, just lying around, almost sedated-looking. I felt so sad. But then we got to the bears and they were obviously stressed. One was bleeding, one had scars on his body, one was rocking back and forth, one was standing by the electrified grates that you drive over to get into their area. He stood there the ENTIRE TIME. Like he knew we could get in so he was trying to get out. I felt so sad!

Second, there were tons of white bread thrown into the grass along our path. That doesn't seem very healthy to feed a bear? There were more crows eating it than the bears.

Third, the torture continues. The animals in the enclosures that you can walk through, like beavers, raccoons, lynx, coyotes, etc. They were in OBVIOUS distress. I'll never get out of my head the raccoon who paced back and forth in front of the glass wall on the bottom of the display. He never stopped pacing and I watched him for 15 minutes. Also the coyotes were right next to the foxes and they paced non-stop as well. My heart was breaking.

Finally, there were baby bears in an enclosure and you could buy apple slices to throw at them. They were cute yes, but they looked so little. A sign said it was for their own safety to be removed from mama at eight weeks old. Um, that seems SUPER young for a social animal like a bear!

I SO WISH I would've looked into this place more before going. Yes it was cool to see but underneath the hype, it felt awful to watch. I never go to zoos for the reasons listed above and here I willingly paid money to watch these poor animals on display. Please consider Keystone, the 1880 train, mini golf, Big Thunder Gold Mine, Rushmore, ANYTHING but this place.

2  Thank Mary R
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place is awesome and so much fun! I think I enjoyed it more then my 7yr old lol. I love seeing animals in the wild. The bears are a must see!!