“Awesome”
Review of Reptile Gardens

Reptile Gardens
Ranked #1 of 70 things to do in Rapid City
More attraction details
Owner description: World-renowned adventure park, Reptile Gardens is a must-see family attraction no matter what your age. We maintain the finest collection of tropical plants, colorful flowers, and exotic reptiles anywhere - we have more species and subspecies of venomous reptiles than any other zoo or park in the world!
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I am not a reptile fan, but my 9 year old daughter is. We only spent an hour, because the other kids and dad were in the car (we didn't want to pay for the teenager hate everything girls, so they stayed in the parking lot.) The gator show was awesome, daughter loved the snakes and tortoises and would have loved to stay for the snake show.

• Korean first
Longmont, Colorado
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

A great family experience. The amount of reptiles is overwhelming. Worth the trip just to see the HUGE Australian Maniac. He is unbelievable. The giant tortoises are great for the kids to touch and be near.

Rapid City, South Dakota
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Awesome way to spend an afternoon!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Living in the beautiful Black Hills, we sometimes take for granted some of the wonderful places we have nearby. My sons and I visited Reptile Gardens today after having been away for far too long. They have a wonderful opportunity for residents to get season passes after just one visit. There have been many improvements made since my last visit and I certainly won't wait so long to come back. One of the main draws is the alligator show in which the trainer "wrestles" a gator while giving great information about alligators. The snake show was very informative and entertaining as well and we got to see a python, a cobra and a rattlesnake and learned some great info about snakes as well. The bird show was fun and featured quite a few clever birds including a trained pigeon as well as two very talented African greys who had a competition showing off their speaking and whistling skills! :) For me, the highlight of Reptile Gardens is the dome which features a tropical garden we were able to walk through. There were so many beautiful tropical orchids and plants as well as bright colored beautiful birds, some lizards, snakes and turtles. Going around the lower level of the dome we were able to see a variety of snakes, frogs, turtles and insects, as well as alligators. Upstairs is an impressive, large collection of snakes that are safely contained in their cases, allowing us an up close look at snakes that we certainly couldn't or wouldn't want to get in the wild.
There is also a lovely area now featuring a pond with huge koi fish and lots of turtles. Oh, and I almost forgot about the very cool prairie dog town, the giant tortoises and the Bald Eagle. So much to see and do!

1 Thank tigerv68
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I went here expecting it to be the same as a zoo, but it's more like you're walking right into their natural habitat! You can walk through the dome, which is basically a botanical garden with a bunch of animals living in it. Then you walk the upper level and see more snakes and lizards than I've seen in any zoo. They also have frogs, spiders, turtles, alligators, and some birds. The shows were incredibly entertaining and were included in the price of the ticket. Definitely worth your money and time!

St. Louis
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Very Hands-On”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I was less than thrilled to visit a reptile house since I'm not so fond of snakes, however, this attraction has much more to offer. There is an abundance of snakes, but there is also one of the largest collections of rare rocks and minerals. They are in the gardens, in with the reptiles and even on their own display and for sale in the gift shop. This is all neat, but my hands down favorite part of the trip was being able to interact with the giant tortoises! There are three of them and you can touch them, hang out with them and pet them like a cat under their chin (although they don't purr). Many places who have these animals don't let you near them, so I was very excited to get "up close and personal" with these awesome creatures. They also let you pet snakes and alligators after the shows, which was cool, but not nearly as cool as the tortoises!!