“Friendly and Peaceful”
Review of Lazy "U" Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rapid City
Lazy "U" Motel
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here during a week long visit to the area. The family who own the motel were marvelous. The rooms were neat and clean and fully equipped with both a refrigerator and a microwave. An added bonus were complimentary coffee/tea and freshly baked donuts from a local bakery. The motel sits along a major roadway, so there are also lots of eateries nearby. An additional convenience was a food market (Safe way) across the street. I give this establishment an A+ and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Cindy B, Owner at Lazy "U" Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

We were so happy your trip went as well as it did. The weather even turned out well after a few rather cool days. Glad you made it home safe.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The service is great! Rooms are neat and clean! Lots of space and a refrigerator in the rooms are also great!! Overall rating A+!! Will definitely stay here again!!! It is definitely one of the best motels in Rapid City for the price!

Room Tip: We've stayed in several of the rooms and they are all superb!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Cindy B, Owner at Lazy "U" Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thanks for choosing the Lazy U while in Rapid City !

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay in Lazy U Motel. It was nice to have a friendly face..Cindy... on a long family trip. She was extremely helpful. Glad we chose this hotel. Arrived late and she had everything all set for our family of 10. Thanks Cindy!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Cindy B, Owner at Lazy "U" Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thanks for staying with us, it was a pleasure having you.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I booked a room at Lazy "U" back in January when I was putting the final touches on our summer roadtrip. I booked them based on reviews from TripAdvisor. I spoke with Verlyn, one of the owners of the motel to book the room and he was so friendly on the phone. The rate to stay here cannot be beat for what you get.

We were supposed to arrive Tuesday, June 10. A horrible storm along I90 derailed us in Wall for the night. I called the motel and told Jackie that it looked like we might have to stay somewhere else because of the storm. She said, "Pull over and keep an eye out, call me back when you decide what you are doing, but stay safe." She actually called me back and told me that they were not going to charge me for the night, they had two more available rooms in the event that anyone stopped in to book the room. I was amazed. You don't find this kind of service at a chain hotel. It does not exist. We were willing to pay the fee, but it was so nice to have them call and keep a check on our family.

The motel is located in a good location for many activities: Devils Tower, Wall, Badlands NP, Custer State Park, Spearfish, Deadwood, Sturgis, Keystone. Not to mention, Rapid City is a nice place. We actually had a real KEY! It reminded me of the motels my family stayed in when I was growing up. The room was immaculate, spotless. The beds were so comfortable. The bathroom was small, but adequate. The sink was actually on the outside and I prefer a room like this. The room had a fridge with a little freezer in it, a microwave and a nice flat screen TV. They have guest laundry and offer coffee and donuts each morning in the office. We loved this place. We would go back and we highly recommend this property to anyone traveling in the area.

Thank you so much, Verlyn and Cindy!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dbae27

We have had several evening storms this year and you had run into the first big one. We like 24 hours notice, but always say that in case of an emergency we will try to work with you. Glad your family was safe.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

While visiting family in rapid city the couple that we were staying with both became seriously ill and it was no longer feasible to stay with them, we asked Cindi the owner of the motel if she could find us a room for the last 12 days of our vacation as we wanted to see other friends and family, she not only found an excellent room for mr wife and I, but also reserved a room for my sister and her daughter right next door. I suffer from blood clots and. Must sleep with my feet really elevated, she had the maids put pillows under the mattress until it was exactly the right height to relax my legs. When we were ready to check out I couldn't find my favorite pen, she took everything in the room apart to find it, of course she couldn't it was in the pocket of a shirt I had already packed, all she said was she was glad I found it, I have never had such a wonderful experience at any other hotel or motel in my travel, which includes 26 years of Air Force service, so I have stayed in a few.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Dennis L

The two of you were a delight to have at the Lazy U. Thank you so much for your kind words. Cindy

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Driving into Rapid City on the I 90 we were overwhelmed with the dozens of chain hotels and restaurants all very busy. We had hoped to use a coupon from a booklet we had found at a visitor center for one of these chain hotels. After stopping at a couple and being laughed at for even asking about one of these rooms and being told we would not find a room in Rapid city for about double the price of the coupon, we continued towards the Black Hills on Highway 16. There, on the old "strip" we pulled in to an older style independent motel, the Lazy U Motel.
The owners greeted us warmly and professionally, assured us they had the cleanest rooms in Rapid City and gave us a room for less than the price of the coupon rejected by chain hotels.
We were very impressed. A clean room, excellent new beds and linens, quiet and very comfortable. They were also able to recommend a great locally owned restaurant within easy walking distance. We discovered they also have guest laundry facilities.
So much for all those chain hotels, we are keeping our eyes open for good locally owned hotels from now on!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Cindy B, Owner at Lazy "U" Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

We were so happy you found us and we were able to show you how comfortable a mom and pop can be. Thanks for your review :)

Reviewed 21 April 2014

So a took a roadtrip this past weekend, and as I got ready to leave my mom asked where I was staying that night. Um, MOTHER?!? I NEVER KNOW WHERE I'M STAYING!! I am such a commitment-phobe that HOTEL reservations make me nervous!! What if I want to keep driving?? "Where am I staying?" (snort) So, I'm driving around downtown Rapid City. It's been a LONG day and I'm getting tired. I've got two requirements for a hotel - independent, non-chain, AND - if at ALL POSSIBLE - a real key. omG I hate key cards. But I digress. I don't know Rapid City at all, and I'm a little anxious because the only hotels I've seen so far have been Ramadas and Days Inns and the like, and then I found 'the strip'. You know the one I'm talking about - a little older section, and there were the independents. The Lazy "U" just happened to be the first one, and like I said - I was TIRED, so I pulled in. It should be called Lucky "U" instead of Lazy "U"!! This was the nicest hotel experience I've had in ages. Verlyn was SO nice and helpful with his recommendations and directions. My room was IMMACULATE. I've got some Bed Bug B Gone spray that I usually use no matter what, and I didn't even feel the need to unpack it in this room. Comfortable bed, color coded towels (white for bodies, colored for makeup removal). I look forward for an excuse to go back and stay here!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bridget B
Cindy B, Owner at Lazy "U" Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you Bridget for awarding us with the Best Night's Sleep in a LONG Time Award. We are honored to accept the award on behalf of our house keepers, who dust every top and vacuum every corner :) Seriously, we try to keep the rooms the way we would want a room if we were on the road. I will let Verlyn know you appreciated his knowledge of the Hills. We were happy to hear you liked the color coding on the towels and hope you get a chance to stay with again.