“awesome”

Howard Johnson Rapid City
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Pierre
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have stayed here in the past and the rooms are usually clean and fresh and there was no exception this time. Every was clean and fresh. The morning breakfast was lacking behind the competion for its lack of hot items such as scrambled eggs, sausage, and the such. It reminded me more of a deluxe continental breakfast which is fine for a lesser motel like a Super 8. On this particular weekend, I could have stayed at a nicer property for about $15 less. Oh well, it still was fine.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Michelle A, General Manager at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank You. I am pleased you found everything to be clean and fresh. Properties that offer Scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon, etc. do usually rent at a higher price point. We are currently exploring options that will provide not only a satisfying experience for our guest, but will also allow us to keep it at a reasonable rate as well. I look forward to completing our selections and offering our guest a fresh breakfast experience.
Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was in Rapid City for a business conference at the Rushmore Convention Center a block from this motel. I arrived just before official check in but that wasn't an issue. I was on the 2nd floor which has ground floor access from the back parking lot. For the most part, my stay was pleasant.

The pool area was accessible for me (I am handicapped) as was the rest the facility. One of the hot tubs wouldn't bubble so everyone used the other one. Luckily there never was a crowd for them.

On weeknights, the motel offers free soft drinks, beer and wine to guests, as well as pop corn. It is served in the breakfast area.

The breakfast selection was the usual waffle bar selection with the addition of a breakfast burrito/hot pocket to microwave. There are 2 waffle irons. While I was there, the plates on the waffle irons stuck horribly. The staff provided a conditioning spray to help with the sticking, but since this was water soluble, most of it evaporated before you could pour the batter on the surface. By the last morning, I had figured out to put butter on the griddle then flip it prior to pouring the batter. This allowed the waffle not to stick nearly as bad, but the waffle wasn't as crisp. The staff told me that new waffle plates had been ordered so this problem should be fixed soon.

I was in a handicap room. The shower wasn't a roll-in, which was great since I need a bench and not the roll-in shower. There was a flip-down bench at the back of the shower and a 2nd shower head that was height-adjustable. The problem I had was the head wasn't removable. I am 5 ft tall. While sitting on the bench normally, I was too far back for the shower. I had to lean way over, while perched on the edge of the bench, to wash my long hair. Rinsing off required standing and turning, both I have problems with due to balance issues made worse in a wet tub. There really needs to be a removable shower head in that tub. I will say this, there WERE plenty of well-placed bars in the shower!

Every day, while I was at the conference, the room was cleaned, trash emptied and the bed made. Each day, it was a guessing game as to how many pillows would be on the king bed, from 4-6. It wasn't an issue since it was just me, but I found it odd and amusing. On my last night, I was packing my things for an early departure the next morning. As I pulled things out of the bottom drawer of the dresser, I saw something that appeared to have fallen out of the drawer. I pulled the dresser out and found newspaper, an empty Axe body spray can and two dirty socks-none of which were mine. Since I had already stayed there 3 nights, I pushed the dresser back. I did leave a note for housekeeping to look back there. The next guest to see them might not be as understanding as I was.

The staff was always friendly and helpful. The location was easy to find and within "walking" distance to the convention center. I used my mobility scooter to go over there without having any problems. The only problem I had with the location is there are no restaurants nearby. I ate a big lunch while at the convention center (which has a food court) and just had sandwiches in my room for supper. There is a mini-fridge and microwave in the room. The room itself was easy to get in and out of with my scooter. Even if my husband had traveled with me, we wouldn't have been crowded. I had no issues connecting to wi-fi and there was more than one router/connection available.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
What a wonderfully thorough review! Thank You. I will see what we can do about the shower. I apologize I never considered the mobility of the shower head. It's always wonderful to have a new perspective. I have addressed your cleanliness issues and standard pillow count with housekeeping. I apologize for their oversight. The new waffle iron plates are in place and working great. Unfortunately, our distributer is out of state and we don't always have as quick of access as we would like. We hope to have the opportunity to have you with us again in the future.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was pleasantly surprised. The last time I stayed at a Howard Johnson Hotel, we were very disappointed. The room was clean and staff were very friendly. My room was spacious and the bed was comfortable. The check-in process went smoothly. The breakfast was a great value. I would definitely stay here again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank You. We'll look forward to having you with us again