“Good location, great value.”

Howard Johnson Rapid City
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Booked through hotwire and thought I would get a dumpy little hotel considering the price. I was surprised at what I got for the price. The hotel was clean, staff was friendly. The hotel is close to many restaurants and attractions in the area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donald S
Tim J, Owner at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Donald S,

Thank you for your honest review. We are happy you chose to stay with us on your trip through the Black Hills. We take great pride in our property and are happy to see you felt our hotel was accommodating to your needs. Come back soon!

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Rapid City

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Tim J, Public Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Reviewed 7 August 2014

My experience with the staff at the Rapid City Howard Johnson was absolutely terrible.

It all started when the wyndham rewards website was giving me trouble while trying to use reward points that I had built up at my 2 month long stay at a Hawthorn suites. I figured I'd give the hotel a call directly to see if I could book a stay over the phone. The girl who picked up was friendly and helpful and stated that I could absolutely use points to book a stay there over the phone. I gave her my rewards number and everything was seemingly taken care of.

Cut to a few weeks later when me and two friends drove in to Rapid City to check in, they asked for my credit card at the front desk. "For incidentals right?" I asked. "No, this is for the total amount. You can't book a stay here over the phone with points." What? I was told that I'd have to pay the full amount because the "new hire" was misinformed and that was now my problem. After hashing out the details of the situation, I was then told that everything was taken care of and they'd call the reward points to be deducted from my account. Okay, sounds good, HoJo.

We got three keys and entered the room where we were booked to stay. The room had one queen bed for three full grown adults. Strike two. After hauling our bags down to the front desk again and some rearranging of rooms, we had a two queen room all set (I had originally booked a double king on the phone but this was clearly as close as I was going to get).

We went out and met up with some friends for dinner (Rapid City is actually a cool place), and when we got back we were winding down getting ready for bed when at 11PM(!!!) we got a call from the front desk saying that they couldn't get ahold of the rewards department of their own hotel chain (hard to believe) and my card was going to be charged. Stirke three. Frustrated and tired, I told them I would deal with this in the morning.

So the next morning, I went down to the front desk to sort all this out. I was told by the attendant (younger brunette girl, forgot the name) that it was MY responsibility to have called wyndham rewards and sort this out last night, and that it was too late to do anything about it now. Strike four. As luck would have it, a fellow customer was behind me and chimed in that "no, I was behind this guy when he checked in and I HEARD you tell him that you'd take care of it and the points would be taken from his account and he wouldn't get charged!" Thank you, mystery lady. Well this got the attendant flustered and we agreed not to charge my card until I spoke with a manager about the situation.

Well this call never came. And sure enough, I got charged the full amount for the room without any contact whatsoever. I called four times in about five days trying to get in contact with a manager, leaving messages with staff and on messaging machines, but to no avail. Strike five.

Six days later I finally caught a manager on duty, who told me he could do nothing about the incompetence of his staff and that I would have to take care of this all by myself by calling the wyndham rewards line. The drama continued when the wyndham rewards line couldn't help me either and told me I had to call the customer service line. Strike 6. This issue is still ongoing and hasn't been resolved.

The sad thing is that this is an excellent, clean, adequate hotel location. Yet the staff have absolutely ruined my (and probably others') experience to a point that I would NEVER visit this location again, or recommend to friends or family. The staff had the ability to fix this at any point in the chain but instead decided to delay the situation, pass the buck and blame me for their oversights and shortcomings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Tim J, General Manager at Howard Johnson Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank You for your review. I am pleased that you feel we are "an excellent, clean, adequate hotel location". I would like to apologize for the miscommunication. Our agent meant that a reservation could be made and that you would just need to contact Wyndham Rewards to utilize points for payment.
To clarify any misconceptions, property staff members( this includes management) do not have any access to or control over how your reward points are used. Any reservation that you wish to make where you redeem points accumulated for you stay must be made directly with Wyndham Rewards.
Upon check-in, our staff did state that we could help resolve the issue, but that you would need to contact Wyndham Rewards to start the process. We did wait to hear from you that you had been in contact with Wyndham and that they simply need confirmation from us to convert the reservation into a points stay. We did not hear back from you. In the meantime we did reach out to Wyndham Rewards and authorize the conversion for you to utilize points, you just had to authorize your points to be utilized. We were finally able to reach you when you returned to the property, which was unfortunately, late in the evening. Our agent asked you to reach out to Wyndham Rewards to make the authorization and you refused stating that we should have to take care of it for you. As explained we could not utilize your points on your behalf and that you still needed to make the call. When you failed to do that and convert your stay we had no option but to charge your credit card in which you signed for and agreed to upon check in. Wyndham Rewards is not able to go back and reverse the process as explained which is why it was imperative you called that night and why we continued to reach out to you so late into the evening.
Again, we apologize, but we do not own your rewards points and can not use them at our discretion. You were repeatedly asked to contact Wyndham Rewards during this incident and refused. Had you done so, this could have been avoided.
We did use this event and provided extra training to our staff on Wyndham Reward Membership to try our absolute best to prevent a situation like this ever occurring again. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you again some day.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Clean, breakfast adequate, slow wifi. Overpriced because of the time of year. Probably would not stay here again. Too expensive for the stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Our stay was pretty good. Beds were a bit hard for us, but our room was a really nice size. We liked the LCD TV. Staff were pleasant to deal with. The breakfast was a weak continental, but they kept everything well stocked and clean for it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple