“Mount Rushmore Tours and Howard Johnson motel - a great combination.”

Howard Johnson Rapid City
Ranked #3 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
missouri
“Mount Rushmore Tours and Howard Johnson motel - a great combination.”
Reviewed 24 September 2009

This was my first stay at any Howard Johnson. It met and exceeded my expectations. Mount Rushmore Tours recomended the motel an I am glad that I took their advice. We were met by a very freindly and knowlegeable front desk clerk. The room was very clean, nicely appointed with fridge and microwave.The motel also has an indoor pool and two hot tubs as well as a work out area. The continental breakfast was perfect for our needs and by the turnout alot of other guests took advantage of it as well.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank 4nbuyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
British Columbia
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Located in town, away from the freeway but still very conveniently located. Worked as a great base for day trips. Clean, quiet, reasonably priced, no complaints.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank BCtraveller10
Madison, WI
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed here for one night on a long trip out west. I chose this hotel because of the lower cost and high ratings. It did not disappoint us one bit. The girl at the front desk was very helpful and offered a fantastic recommendation for dinner. The hotel also has a manager's reception, with free beer and popcorn. The breakfast area is very large, though the selection was a little bit less than I had expected, given the large area. I had some problems getting wireless internet in my room, but they do have wired jacks available. Our room was huge, and very comfortable for four people.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
accountant_guy
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I picked this hotel over the Marriott (my preferred brand) due to a 33% difference in price. I figured that a Fairfield (similar class hotel) was not worth an extra 50 bucks a night, plus this was top rated on Tripadvisor. I don't regret my decision. The hotel was nothing to write home about, but I purposefully did not spend a lot of time in the room. It was clean, the service from the staff was attentive, the location was a good center point as we spent a day at the Badlands, day in Black Hills, and a day at Mount Rushmore and Custer. When I booked I really wanted a value hotel which is what I got. The free breakfast featured no hot items, which is a negative for me. The rooms were what you would expect for a value hotel. I gave them 4 circles because it met my expectations for this hotel class, I was upgraded to a complimentary suite, and the price very good. Note that I would have given them 4 circles even without the complimentary upgrade.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank accountant_guy
herts uk
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Stayed here for three nights on a driving tour from Denver to Seattle. This was my first visit to a HOJO in the USA. THis hotle is well run with a friendly and attentive staff. The room had double king beds , fridge , microwave, free internet , breakfast and evening drinks.
There is a nice pool with two hot tubs.
4 minute drive to Rushmore Mall and a 12 minute walk to Main Street. There is no restuarants adjacent however we did walk to the Fire House resturant on Main street .That was good value and was even patronised by your President. Good micro beers.
During our stay there was a large group of Aussies on tour . They kept the bar man , Mark, very busy but made the happy hour entertaining!
I would re book in a minute if in this area again.
Well done HOJO, you have a convert.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
NM
Reviewed 29 July 2009

This room was large, clean, and in the parking lot of the civic center where we attended a concert. The best room I've stayed in in a long time and I travel quite a bit. Highly recommend this room for the price.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Villa Park, Il
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We enjoyed our stay here. We were with a Mayflower bus tour and other bus groups were using it too; so if you want to avoid groups, it might not be the best place. You really need a car since downtown is about 6 blocks away but it can be walked. There is a high school across the street and a large park about 2 blocks away. Pool was nice. Standard expanded breakfast with waffle makers (2), breads, cold cereal, etc. They kept it well stocked. We never got to try the evening reception so no comment on that. Pool was nice. The rooms were clean and well cared for. No restaurants nearby. Good location for local attractions like Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Corn Palace, etc.

• Stayed July 2009