“Great Hotel in Rapid City”

Cambria Hotel & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights and used as home base for sightseeing. We found the room and customer service were excellent. The pillow-top bed was extremely comfortable, and the room had 2 LG flat-screen TV's in the bedroom and sitting areas. 5-stars is well deserved.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We chose to stay at Cambria Suites on the way back from our Yellowstone trip. Our primary purpose for a hotel stay such as this is a good night's sleep and a place where the kids can unwind after a lot of time in the car. Cambria is housed in a very new, well-designed building and is conveniently located on I-90 just east of Rapid City. There are several restaurant choices and a shopping mall within minutes. They seemed to have all that we were looking for.

We arrived later in the evening after a long day on the road, ready to relax and get to sleep. I brought the kids down to the pool while my wife stayed back in the room to unpack, set-up and take a shower. The pool is well-kept and has a good sized whirlpool area as well, with plentiful seating for adults and an organized towel service. So far so good!

However, upon returning to our room my wife warned me about the bathroom. It obviously had been only spot-cleaned (and that is being generous). She found copious amounts of body hair on the shower floor, the shower curtain and on the seating area at the back. She did her best to wipe it up with a wash cloth. She told me not to look at it, but of course I wanted to see exactly what we were dealing with. Let's just say she didn't exaggerate.

Worse, we found wrappers to personal items behind the sink, the likes of which I'd rather not expound upon here in detail. Suffice it to say it was disgusting.

At that point it was 10:30 and all of our stuff was unpacked and the kids were already asleep. We decided to turn in and move on in the morning, which we did.

As nice as this facility is, the number one thing we look for in a hotel is cleanliness. Without it all is lost. Cambria lost it all with us and we will not return. I completed the hotel's official survey request weeks ago with a full report of the conditions we found, and I formally requested a refund for our stay. I have received no response. If I receive a response I will update my review.

15  Thank NorthernMNTraveler
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed two nights, separated by a week, in mid August. The Cambria Suites gives the impression of being a hotel primarily for business travelers, but we (myself and two kids) felt entirely comfortable and welcome. Our rooms were spacious and clean, and our beds were very comfortable. We also appreciated tremendously the 24/7 feature with the hotel's pool. We arrived late our first night due to flight delays and a late dinner and swim were the perfect way to shake off the day's travel gremlins. The pool, by the way, is perfectly heated :) The buffet breakfast, very reasonably priced, provided plenty of choices.

One caution -- while the hotel is near a freeway exit, it's actually not that easy to find (at least not in the dark!). I recommend referring to the hotel's website directions rather than a GPS or other navigator (those steered us wrong).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank StephJP
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Honestly cannot fault my stay at all. Fantastic location, fantastic room and facilities and the staff were always very helpful! I stayed for two nights on my way to Montreal and would definitely recommend this place to anyone wanting to stay in the Rapid City area.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank robbieb67
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights, using it as our home base for our sight seeing with three kids under 11 years old.

Rooms were exceptionally clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at Cambria on our way to Yellowstone and on our way back to Wisconsin. Clean, new, comfortable that's how I would describe this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Great bed! We enjoyed the pool and hot tub.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here while on a long road trip and I chose this hotel in Rapid City based on the TripAdvisor reviews. The hotel is just over a year old so very modern with very nice hotel amenities. The room was decorated really nice and was very comfortable - two flat screen TV's in our suite too! Just a 25 minute drive to Mt. Rushmore from here too. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family