“Excellent hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I'm usually a Hampton Inn person, but this hotel may change my mind. Perhaps I'll witch over! This hotel was about half the price of the Hampton Inn.

This has the feel of a more traditional Holiday Inn, rather than a Holiday Inn Express. The lobby is expansive and the desk personnel are helpful and courteous. There's a breakfast area just off the lobby. The elevator seems a bit small, but the hallways are pleasant and well-lighted. My room was a king study with a nicely sized bathroom and an excellent shower. There was a not-too-small fridge and a microwave, a nice sitting area with desk, a good-sized bedroom with widescreen television. The internet was a little fussy in getting connected, but once connected it was high speed. If there was something to complain about,,,and it's minor...over the several days I was here, twice I had to go back down to the desk because my key wasn't working.

There are several restaurants in the immediate vicinity, inlcuding a TGI Fridays, Perkins, and several others, as well as the Rushmore Mall just across the street a bit. On exit away are more eating places, including a Chilis. The hotel is right off the interstate, and traffic is moderate. A very convenient location for visiting throughout the Black Hills and out to Badlands National Park. Downtown is less than 10 minutes away.

A virtually perfect place to stay...with even your choice of laundry machines on premesis, or they will send your laundry out and get it back to you within 24 hours. And, the price per night is reasonable!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 August 2011

We arrived late and when I unfolded the sofa bed (we had a suite) I was unsure as to whether or not the sheets what been changed or if it was wrinkled due to being folded up. My husband asked for new sheets anyway and I made the sofa bed. The bed was comfortable but that night and the next morning I felt like I had bed bugs! I'm not sure what it was. Also, when we
Went to breakfast a man came
Up to get food and was still in his pajamas and no shoes (barefoot). Totally grossed me out! My kids love bagels but these were stale and neither kid would eat them. We booked this through hotel.com and when I checked out the front desk
Clerk told me she couldn't give me a receipt. Said I had to go through hotel.com but that did not make any sense because Best western was booked the same way and they were able to give me a receipt. I would recommend this hotel only w the warnings in this post.
I would only recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Our extended family (a group of 10!) stayed two nights at this hotel while we visited Mt Rushmore, toured the Black Hills and other attractions in the area. We were very pleased with the rooms, the swimming pool and hot tub, the breakfasts and the very pleasant and courteous staff. An added bonus was having the laundry facilities available on the premises (and very reasonably priced) We would certainly recomend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was a nice Holiday Inn Express. It was booked solid when we stayed and the smoking hall stank of smoke if you came in through that corridor. The pool was very nice. The rooms were clean and neat. The decor was in decent shape although it seemed about a decade old in terms of style. The breakfast area was small and usually crowded but the staff was constantly refilling things. The pancake machines are a nice addition to the standard HIE fare. The business center required a key to enter and was restricted to those over 18 which kept it available for use instead of being a game room as often happens. My GPS directed me to the wrong location. It was actually across the street with an Outback Steakhouse behind it. It was only about two blocks away from a walmart and had many stores and fast food places within walking distance. It was also close to the interstate. If you are not going to the badlands area, I would not stay in Rapid City. It is a 45 min to 1 hour drive from the black hills tourist areas.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

2-Night stay. Arrived around 3pm. Our room was ready. Nice, clean, comfortable. Left for a day full of activities and returned later that evening.

Had a nice dip in the pool. Had some issues with people in the pool area - other swimmers were rude. Didn't care for the no food/beverages in pool. Understandable about glass containers. - oh well.

Slept very well. The fitted sheet on the bed didn't stay on very well, the usual wear and tear. The beds were as comfortable as can get. Didn't want to even crawl out of them!

The continental breakfast was very well - cereal, biscuits & gravy, cinnamon rolls, yogurt, muffins, toast, scrambled eggs, etc. Milk, juice, water, coffee. Not 5-stars, but what can you expect for a FREE breakfast? It was also Very packed, luckily staff kept up with stocking things as needed.

Hotel was in perfect driving distance from all of the attractions. (Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Reptile Gardens, Bear Country, Etc) And, the mall was within walking distance - but the mall was not very impressive.

Very nice lobby. But, every time I came in contact with staff, they always seemed to be talking among themselves - non work related things, it seemed. Overall, I had a good experience.

Room Tip: Non-Smoking
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This was a decent hotel, but by far, not my best Holiday Inn experience. We accepted a smoking room because it was the only room left available. We knew it was a smoking room going in, but the cigarette & smoke smell was terrible. We let the staff know and they were friendly and agreed to run an odor elininator in the room for us while we were out to dinner. This did improve the odor but the smell was still bad. The staff also agreed to move our room for our second night stay which was nice. The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean. The first floor window opened all the way without any special lockout device to prevent someone from climbing in. The pool area was clean, but they had a sign prohibiting any food or drink in the pool area which was a bummer (I can see no glass, but NO food/drink whatsoever?). The breakfast was ok. The one staff member they had working it was hustling and working hard but he was understaffed and had dificulty keeping up with the morning crowd, restocking food, emptying trash, and cleaning tables. This was not his fault he was hard working and very nice. There was another lady there, but Holiday Inn apparently decided conducting inventory was more important for her to do instead of assisting her team member and the guests. There was no cinamon rolls. They advertise them on their bilboards, but during the two days we stayed there they did not have a single one. Normally those are delicious. Overall this was a decent place to stay, but I have seen better out of other Holiday Inns and other big chains such as Hyatt Place and the new Hampton Inns. May have considered a "very good" rating, but for the price we should not have had to deal with the horrible smoke odor which made the rest of the clothes in our luggage smell. This is 2011 why are there smoking rooms anyway, make the smokers step outside. The entire hall where the smoking rooms were smelled too. No frideg or microwave. In a good location easy to get to the other attractions in the area. Mt. Rushmore was about an easy 20-30 minute drive, the mall was across the street with a bunch of shops, and the Dances With Wolves Chuck Wagon Dinner was close by as well as Storybook Island Park, Black Hills Na. Forest, Crazy Horse, and Custer State Park (around an hour drive).

Room Tip: Ask for a nonsmoking room only!
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Very disappointed in our stay here, being that this is the height of tourist season you would assume they would be staffed and ready for all the guests.
On the day of check in we got there around 5 pm and our room was not yet ready so we and many other families had to sit and wait. The fitted sheets on the beds didn’t fit properly and kept coming off which made for a poor night of sleep. The next day we came back to our room after a day of sightseeing and our room had been “cleaned” by staff already and the beds were not touched. They were short on linens and we didn’t have enough in our room. The continental breakfast was a joke, the place was a mad house and they didn’t have enough food for the guests and what they had was pathetic. We ended up leaving this hotel 2 days earlier than planned.
The pool was nice and the kids enjoyed swimming, but if were ever to go back we would definitely find a different place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family