“Excellent hotel and very comfortable in a great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
MN
“Excellent hotel and very comfortable in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed here after a long week of traveling. We were so pleseantlly suprised by such a nice hotel. The moment we walked in it felt good. The front staff was so nice and gave me a great rate. The hotel was not crowded at all. Apparently the days prior to our stay it was full and even staff had to stay there due to a bad winter storm. However, you couldn't telll cause the place was immaculate. Our room was very comfortable and so was the bed.. the landry room came in handy and the hot tub was nice and hot. The location is great many restaurant choices within walking distance and the mall is across the street. I will stay here always when coming to rapid.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express hotels over 30 nights a year. This one is the worst I have ever stayed at. The front desk staff is generally great however. As I sit here and write this review I can barely sit in the desk chair provided because screws are poking through the leather!

The breakfast staff is horrible. They are supposed to have breakfast out at 6:30. They finally got it out at 6:50. When I asked what time they thought they would get it out the looked blankly at me and asked "Why?"!

The property is old and tattered although generally ok. The grime in the bathroom corners is pretty disgusting. The bed is lumpy and feels like it is full of straw!

Disappointing. I am cancelling tonights room and moving across town to the other Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: One helpful room tip would be to go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nsj89
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear Nsj89,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation particularly over the breakfast staff. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G
Union Center, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stayed here with son when he came to Rapid City on a business trip. One single small elevator. Room was very good. Bkfst was great for me. Omelettes, bisquits and gravy, and sausage, coffee. To heck with that cereal and juice stuff. Ironically, it's built where I used to pasture my horse when I was a kid. I'm ancient ;-) Would I stay here by myself? Nope-couldn't afford it, especially during tourist season.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Bearclaw6,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the rooms and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the elevator. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Stayed in this very clean and welcoming hotel.
Our dog had plenty of space around the property to sniff and walk.
Boston's restaurant across the street has a great variety of reasonably priced food -- including salads!

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Hamilton, Montana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I checked into the Holiday Inn Express late at night after a long day of driving. The person at the front desk was very nice and welcoming. I can not say the same for the hotel room that I had booked. When I went into the room, I could hear the bathroom fan buzzing, but it wasn't on. I went to turn the fan on, and the buzzing would stop, but I could hear the fan, even with the door closed, in the sleeping area. I called the front desk and requested a new room because I knew I would not be able to fall asleep with that noise. They had no problem getting me a new room on the same floor.

I went to the new room and immediately showered. I realized that the shower curtain bar was falling off the wall, so instead of the bar bowing outwards, it was bowing downwards, causing he curtain to fall towards the center of the shower, and not stay closed. This caused the whole bathroom to get soaked. Also, the drain in the shower would not drain properly, so I had to stand in a couple of inches of my shower water.

When I checked out of the hotel in the morning, I made it a point to tell the person at the front counter of the maintenance requests that should be placed on that particular room that I stayed in. She didn't seem to care, and didn't act concerned that I had such a disappointing stay with Holiday inn Express. She didn't offer an explanation, or apology for the sub-par hotel room and seemed indifferent to my feelings.

After a long day of driving, this hotel was a sore disappointment. I usually prefer to stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels because of their clean and comfortable rooms, and breakfast in the morning. I have stayed at five different locations within the past two years, and this location was by far the worst experience. I feel that this hotel room was not worth the price that I paid to stay here, and would have probably had better luck at a dive motel along the highway.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angverb
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear angverb,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and we strive to provide competitive rates within the area. I apologize some aspects of our hotel were not to your liking. I am deeply sorry you did not enjoy your overall stay due to the room accommodation, condition of the bathroom and hotel staff services. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention. This helps in becoming a better hotel.

Zelyn N
IHG Care
Cheyenne, Wyoming, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

I typically stay at HI Express. I must say, I am disappointed in this location. The front foyer is nice, but the rest of the place needs to be updated. The hallway carpets are worn and appear dirty, and when we checked in, there were sacks of trash littered throughout. I am currently sitting in the room, and there is an odd smell to it. Perhaps it's a pet room? Just doesn't smell clean. I noticed hair in the shower when I showered for the first time, and the drain is very slow. I won't stay at this particular location again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Yvonne B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City, responded to this review, 20 October 2012
Dear Yvonne B,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased that you found our staff service good enough for your needs. I want to assure you that we work very hard to ensure our facilities are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the room accommodations you received.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2012

This was a nice hotel...Lovely decor and appeared clean. My one problem was the bed - it wasn't very comfortable in my opionion...maybe it was just our room...but it hurt my back in the morning.

The bathroom was nice and the Shower head was terrific..really strong..

Room was a little oddly put together...the couch/sitting area was separated from where the TV was located. You could twist the TV around and could watch it from afar...Even though it was somewhat doable - I didn't love that...

Everything was very clean. Breakfast was standard - and good. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple