“Very nice hotel, But!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights. This is a very modern, very well kept hotel with friendly desk staff. The rooms are good size, the price is right, and the location is easy to find right off I-90. However, when we arrived at 5:15 p.m., they stated that the rooms were not ready. But in 10 minutes, we had a room. We did notice the housekeeping staff were still cleaning rooms until 7:30 p.m. that night. And they were not friendly to say the least. But the next day, we returned from a day of sightseeing at 5 p.m. and our room had not been touched. They stated that housing was behind a bit. Really? Bottom line, this is a good hotel with poor unfriendly housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: When staying here, keep in mind that housekeeping is very slow and unfriendly
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank upexplorer2011

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is the first time I stayed at the Holiday Inn I-90 in Rapid City after staying several times in nearby hotels. The hotel was under renovation over the winter and this Holiday Inn is in much better shape than other Holiday Inn's I've stayed in elsewhere.

The rooms are nice complete with a flat screen TV and a mini-fridge. The beds are clean and comfortable and I had no trouble sleeping.

The hotel's complimentary breakfast had a wide variety of options and was a nice feature of my stay.

The only thing I would say is that as a business traveler, this wasn't the best hotel to stay in due to the number of families with kids around the hotel. It didn't bother me too much, but just something to be weary of, especially when travelling to Rapid City in the summer months.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel was recently remodeled and it is very attractive. But looks and comfortable surroundings don't cut it if the details are not paid attention to. Shortly after checking in around 5:30 pm, I took advantage of a nice cool evening and opened my window for fresh air. Soon I noticed a chemical smell and cigarette smoke. Looking outside a maintenance person was spray painting a railing right in front of my open window. I asked him to come back tomorrow.

Then at about 9:00 on the Sunday night of my stay as I was dosing off, I heard banging and vacuuming outside my door. There were 3 or 4 maids carts in the hallway, one practically blocking my door and cleaning going on in several rooms around me. I asked them to please remove the carts from my door area and complained to the front desk.

Outside my window was a high intensity spotlight apparently illuminating the hotel sign that I had to attempt to block out behind my curtains.

There are several other hotels in the area. My stay was not inexpensive and I expected better. I will not be here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank DouglasE54
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rapid City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear DouglasE54,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 21 June 2014

THis is a great example of why I stay at Holiday Inn Express, THE STAFF. Rarely do I stay at one and don't bond with the staff. Paul, the maintenance man was exceptionally nice, helping us with anything we needed. I only stayed there 5 days and by the end I knew all the staff by name and so did they.

As for the rest of the hotel, it was what I expected from an Express. Clean rooms with a solid breakfast options. I also liked the food options available outside the Hotel making it possible to get a variety of meal options (Dennys, Outback, TGIF, Bostons Sports Bar) within walking distance. The cleaning staff was also exceptional and did a great job of keeping the place clean.

So overall this is a GREAT place for someone planning on visiting the black hills. It's close to the sites, the rooms are great and clean, and you will not find a better staff anywhere!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at two different Holiday Inn Express locations in Rapid City last week. This is by far the best location. Recently renovated, the rooms were squeaky clean and the breakfast area large and comfortable. The rooms are also immensely quiet. The location, right off I-90 is very convenient while traveling and adjacent to the downtown Rapid City area. We can't say enough nice things about this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CGeary
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Hotel renovations are complete! We stayed while moving from Connecticut to Washington and had a great experience. From check in to check out the staff went out of their way to ensure that we were well taken care during our time there. Hotel looks great after the update and is in a very convenient location. Being pet friendly was also a help for us. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Close to airport & restaurants. Rooms were clean & management was nice. Typical breakfast-cereal, pastries, pancakes, eggs & bacon. Staff helpful with directions, restaurants, etc. A little noisy one night. Would recommend staying on top floor. Very clean & pleasant.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room facing front of hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple