“Survived the blizzard and we'll be back again!”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We had such a great stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites over Christmas with our twin toddlers that we decided to stay again when we came out for a funeral in October. Little did we know we would be arriving at the start of a major blizzard! Rapid City had 21" inches of snow and it shut down the entire city. We were fortunate as we had power for all but 30 mins of our stay as several family members were at hotels without power. The staff was simply amazing. They worked so hard to help everyone with their needs. They kept the breakfast area open and stocked for lunch and dinner for the stranded travelers while taking phone calls and answering a multitude of questions about road conditions, airport closure, changes in reservations, room availability, etc...all done with courtesy and customer service in mind. Courtney and Steve should be commended for their efforts during this stressful time. Dan did a fantastic job clearing out the parking lot in short order. Everyone staying at the hotel worked together to help whether it was trash removal from rooms (no way housekeeping could have made it in), helping with kitchen duty or helping with snow removal. We ended up having to extend our stay an additional night due to I-90 being shut down until late afternoon and they held our room for us. There were several families with small children and the staff was very understanding of cooped up toddlers playing in the hallways by the pool and lobby. We will definitely be back again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Read the reviews on the hotel prior to bus tour and got a big scared. Some horrible remarks on condition and staff. I found staff to be GREAT. Arrived two day before bus tour was to start to go with a local friend to see what tour didn't offer. Well he backed out and left me stranded.I was on the verge of tears and the front desk suggested for me to get a car. I rented a car and off I went. I had a ball and didn't think of that so called friend one time. Hotel was at the top of a mountain but it was a hill I'm from Miami and anything over 6' is a mountain to me..LOL.. There a Ruby Tuesday down the steps, Wendys and Taco Bell down the hill and a service station with lots of goodies. The hotel carried PEPSI which I like BETTER that coke. So that made me very happy. Rooms was quite, clean (NO complaints here). Only problem is me walking down the hill into town and then puffing back up. Staff each day asked if they could help since they knew my friend backed out. They gave me maps suggestions and made me feel great..Used the pool and Jacuzzi (which my legs loved after that hike up the hill) Great breakfast, eggs, saugage, all kinds of rolls/bread/bagels..put on 8 lbs over the trip but I enjoyed myself..THANKS AGAIN to the two gals working the desk most days.. PS for the ladies there's a BLACK HILLS GOLD JEWELRY STORE NEXT DOOR...DO THE TOUR!!!! ITS AMAZING

Room Tip: I had 206 Three rooms away from the ice machine which I use alot. Don't think there would be a b...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I found this place to be a great choice. The staff Was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and nice, the breakfast was good, --- an overall great experience. Easy access to the Black Hills, I-90, and a short distance to downtown. The bed was comfortable,

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I selected this hotel mainly because of the good reviews on the Tripadvisor, I can say I am not disappointed, price is bit of higher but this place is clean, comfortable and convenient. You can walk to restaurant and stores near by.

Breakfast is typical, still, the items are OK and clean. nice impression.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
RapidCityComfortInn, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is our goal to make sure each guests stay is as pleasureable as possible. We agree our Hotel is a great hub, central to most attractions, easy access to shopping and dining.
We look forward to you staying with us the next time you pass through Rapid City!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Although this hotel had good stars (reason we picked it) and a good location, the experience was not 3 or 4 stars. Loud family and children next to our suite and across the hall. We were even told that no kids or families would be on this floor so it would be nice and quiet all night long. We were lied to by the front desk because this was not true. We even called downstairs to change rooms because of screaming kids, parents yelling profanities to their kids, and slamming doors; however, she told us no rooms were available (how convenient). Plus the woman at the front desk was rude and would not accommodate us in getting a new room or even a discount. The blankets and sheets on the bed were worn and old. The room needs updating. The bathroom door was heavy and would not stay open (kept swinging back and hitting my knees). Not a comfort inn and suits in my opinion.

Room Tip: Just make sure you get a corner room and not a joining room door if you want your room to be quiet...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trekker59
RapidCityComfortInn, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We do not ever guarantee or predict what guest will be in the room next to you. However we feel that being on the top floor is usually more quite for the fact that there is not someone above you.
Are Hotel will be moving forward later this year with a makeover. We are very excited to be addressing the things you have mentioned. Such as warn sheets, blankets, etc.
We strive to reach the best possible service and extend this to everyone.
I would like to apologize if at any time you felt that you were not treated with the respect you deserve.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here in late July while on vacation. This is an older hotel that is well kept , clean, and professionally managed. Our room was very clean, with a king bed, sofa, fridge, and microwave. The bed was pretty comfortable and the only improvement would be the lighting. The room seemed a little dark. Breakfast was pretty good and served in a large room, which is very nice during peak season, when the hotel is full. We really have no complaints and will like stay here again, when in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much from all of us at the Comfort Inn & Suites. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you the next time you pass through the Black Hills!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Although this facility is nice and the breakfast is very good, I have to go with 2 stars. We stayed here 2 nights for a wedding. The day of the wedding we were gone from our room from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. When we got back tired and hot, the room had not been cleaned. Someone had been in and taken our dirty towels, but nothing else was done. While we were getting ready for the wedding, the maid knocked on the door and we requested she come back at 2:00 to clean the room so that we could get ready for the ceremony.. She was not gracious about having to return, but said she would. When we got back at 6:30 PM, again tired and hot, the room had not been done. A note under the door said that she had knocked twice and was "sorry" she hadn't been able to clean the room. Knocked twice? We know of only one knock. We were out of the room from 8:00 AM until 6:30 PM except for the hour between 1:00 and 2:00. I would think that is plenty of time to replace the linens and make the beds. We are extremely tidy and that is usually all that is required. I was very angry and went to the front desk. The woman at the front desk was unable to comfortably handle someone who's angry. She breezily (sarcastically?) suggested that she or the man who was also working the front desk would come and clean the room. I didn't want that--I wanted acknowledgement that this note didn't make sense, was on the rude side and an "I'm sorry," would have diffused the entire situation. She did give me clean towels and shampoo. When I asked for a complaint form the next day, I was not questioned as to what the problem was so was unable to feel better about the situation. Again, training the staff to handle complaints would easily diffuse these kinds of situations. As it is, I have been left with a very bad feeling about this experience and this hotel. We travel extensively every year all over the world and I have never had a more unsatisfactory situation or response at a hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 613Cate

I would like to apologize for the poor service that you experienced during your recent stay. We take great pride in the condition of our rooms and the serivce provided by our entire staff. What you are describing is unacceptable. Your comments and concerns are being addresed and dealt with. Thank you for your feedback and honesty.