“Sterotypic America's Best”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #17 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 13 October 2013

If you have stayed at this chain, this property is one of the better ones in the chain. It is a clean and well maintained property. The entire second floor has been treated for smoke absorption. It is fairly well masked, but I have a sensitive sense of smell. My room was acceptable, but there was a hit of smoke which has been chemically covered up.

The property is adjacent to Chilis and IHop as well as just north of the Mall and just off of the freeway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north or south side. West or South will pick up freeway noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Eric S, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Hiddenshutter,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm pretty sure you stayed just after our "great blizzard of 2013" during which we lost power for three days and the ventilation system in the smoking area was off. We did our best to re-ventilate the area as well as the whole hotel. I apologize for any discomfort this may have caused during your stay and will have the staff re-address the issue and make sure we do all that we can to eliminate any additional odors.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were there during the snow storm Oct. 4th - 6th. They went above and beyond what we expected. During the storm we had no lights and could not get out to get food. All of the staff went to great effort to meet our every need.This was our first time their and we would visit with them again if we are in that area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Betty C.,

I'm so glad you all were able to finally make it home safe and sound. It was quite the adventure that I'm sure none of us will soon forget.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was with a bus group of 43 enjoying the sights of the area. We had originally had a 4 night stay then that changed with a historic snowfall; we had about 21 inches. I have never lived through a blizzard with the wind howling like a banshee. We stayed another 3 days while the roads were being cleared. I have to say it was quite the adventure and how fortunate we were to be in this place. The management and workers went over and beyond a call of duty to both our group and stranded travelers. The power went out but we managed well. The manager grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for a weary and hungry group. We had a breakfast every morning that came from our "refrigerator", the 10 ft mound of snow outside the patio doors (yogurt, milk, etc), There was an attitude of making the best of a difficult situation. I know I felt I was with friends with the way we were all treated during this unique situation. There is no way I can fully describe the kindness and caring of the people in charge of the Rapid City Americas Best Value Inn. I'm thankful we were here and not stranded out on the road. I will never forget their kindness and under trying conditions make their guests as comfortable as possible. There was a couple from Brazil; many truck drivers and ordinary folks who were so glad to be there.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Sheryl R.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I'm glad you all finally made it home safely. And hope that you find occasion to come visit us again when the weather is a little nicer.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I'm a long distance truck driver from Canada who's truck down 90 miles west of Rapid City SD. The tow truck brought me back here to the closest dealership.

Truck shop recommended and drove me to Americas Best Value Inn. I'm I glad they did.

After waiting 4 or 5 days only to find that it would take them another week I flew home to Canada with the return flight set for Wednesday October 2nd. Thursday October 3rd it started to rain / snow.

The truck was still not ready to do damage parts being shipped.

By Friday morning I woke up to a full blown blizzard. By Friday afternoon we lost power and power remained off until Monday afternoon.

I told you all of that to tell you this the management and staff here at this hotel went way above and beyond to keep everybody comfortable and fed.

There was a bus tour staying here from Kentucky taste was friendly and associated with everyone until these were given the okay to head home Sunday.

Monday afternoon power came back to half the hotel and things slowly returned to normal.

You learn a lot about human nature during times of crisis. This could have been a whole lot worse and for some others in the area during this time it really was. I'm just thankful I was here.

• Stayed: October 2013
Eric S, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. That was quite the ordeal that was made a whole lot easier to bear with the patience and understanding of all of our wonderful guests like you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

We stay acouple or three nights ea. time at least 3 times a year. Clean rooms and very professional and friendly staff!! Close to several restaurants and Rapid City Mall! They except pets which is important to me

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Eric S, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Gary W.,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your positive feedback really means a lot to us and we will do our best to keep your expectations of us high.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Our king room was very nice and provided us with a good night's rest. It was very clean and fairly spacious. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was very quiet in the area we were in. The vessel sink was in an area separate from the tub and toilet area. The breakfast had a large seating area the the food was good. If you are looking for a place to eat lunch or dinner, go south to the mall area a bit as there is more selection.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Eric S, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Marsha W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your honest feedback helps others make an informed decision, and helps us keep costs low.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights - Sept 15 & 16th. The location was good, being right off highway, and next to gas station & restaurants. The lobby was OK and had a nice sitting area & small gift shop. Though we didn't use it, the outdoor pool looked very nice and well maintained. The initial problem we had was that we were given a second floor room. But when we parked our car at the end of the building as told (to be closest to our room on the 2nd flr), we ended up back at the lobby looking for an elevator...at that time, the front desk gentlemen informed us that the only elevator was there in the lobby area ! ! ! With that, he gave us a 1st floor room. However when we entered that room, it had a very distinctive stale smoky smell. Again I go back to the front desk and the gentleman there follows me back to my room with a can of air spray and says the problem is from upstairs (working its way thru the vents...). Unfortunately, this all came on top of what we thought was an expensive room to begin with (over $90). Didn't get off to such a great start. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. The continental breakfast was average + ----- did have scrambled eggs 2nd day -- not 1st morning.

Room Tip: watch out for that single elevator by the lobby before you park......
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Ronh47,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you noticed our breakfast. We really make an effort to make our breakfast a step above what you find at hotels of a comparable rate class. I apologize for the troubles you had getting a suitable room. The location of the elevator should have been pointed out immediately upon check-in. I will talk to the front desk staff about that immediately.

Tip: If an elevator is important to you, I suggest that you make sure to ask about it when making your reservation. Many two story hotels don't have an elevator, let alone two.