Canyon Lake Resort
US$46
US$73
US$67
  • Restaurant
Baymont Inn & Suites Rapid City(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$56
Hampton Inn Rapid City(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$107
Cambria Hotel & Suites Rapid City(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$96
CambriaHotels
Grand Gateway Hotel(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$40
Hilton Garden Inn Rapid City(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$87
US$97
US$95
Travelocity
Howard Johnson Rapid City(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
US$55
Travelocity
Holiday Inn Rapid City - Rushmore Plaza(Rapid City)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$87
All reviewspaddle boatsfamily reunionbedroom cabinfire pitblack hillssmall kitchenettevisiting mount rushmorerapid city areastaff was very friendly and helpfulsouth dakotalodgestoveaccommodationsattractionsfireplacedeadwood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Cattail lodge and Motel rooms are beautiful. The staff Lynn and Sally were very helpful with all our needs. I will and have recommended this place to my friends. If I ever return to Rapid City I will stay at the Cayon Lake Resort. Rapid City was our home base for a week and it worked very well for our needs.

Room Tip: the WiFi weak signal, but unplugging from the electronic life for a week wasn't horrible and actually made me relax on my vacation.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
shootingstar46, Manager at Canyon Lake Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Your review is very important to us. It was a pleasure working with you and having your group stay with us for the Sturgis Rally. We strive to make sure our guests have an enjoyable and memorable experience.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed in the small hotel section; discovered in the "Visit Rapid City" booklet at the South Dakota Visitor Center on I-90. I randomly selected Canyon Lake Resort given it's location and name. I called ahead while on I-90 and booked a motel room for the evening ~ I knew Sturgis was gearing up within the week!

We stayed in the motel; room was comfortable and quaint. The evening staff was engaging, friendly and gave us some ideas for dinner. They went above and beyond ~ I left my library book (new release) in the room - the staff readily volunteered to send it to me! Instead, I stopped on my return trip home.

The location of this resort and motel is restful and scenic! The motel room price was a bonus during the summer's peak season! I recommend this resort area to anyone that's interested in location, price, environment and friendly staff!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lois K

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Your review is very important to us. It was a pleasure having you stay with us on your travels. Hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed in a large lodge which is actually a converted home. It had a game room with a Pool table, Foosball and Ping Pong tables. A really nice large dining table and rock fireplace. It was summer so we didn't test the fireplace. It did only have two bathrooms which was a drawback if you've got a lot of people staying there but the staff was very nice and accommodating. They provided coolers for us to use while we stayed at no additional cost.

Room Tip: This resort has lodges, cabins and camping so you can choose your level of amenity required.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you taking the time to submit your review. Your review is very important to us. It was a pleasure having your group stay with us. Glad we could provide some coolers for your travels. We strive to make sure our guests have an enjoyable and memorable stay with us.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We came over the 4th of July holiday and stayed in the 2 BD cabin. I would consider it more like a rambler style duplex than anything. The furniture and the TV were outdated and there were some kind of stains on the cushions of the couch. Would have been nice if they had a DVD player as an option for winding down at night. The ceiling vent in the bathroom was so covered in dust, I don't think it has ever been clean. The first day the cleaning people took the dirty towels but did not replace them with new ones and they didn't make the bed even with us taking all personal items off like their sign said. Wifi was spotty at best, I'm sure to the large amount of people on it at night.

I can overlook most of that because it didn't impact our vacation but one thing I would strongly recommend would be updating the locks/deadbolts on the door. Our door only locked from the knob (key did not work in deadbolt) and even then it wasn't very secure and didn't always catch properly.

I will say the front desk people were always very nice and willing to accommodate just about any request

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank travelinbaby2010
Reviewed 16 July 2014

If you are like me you read the average and negative reviews about a place to see if those people are just plain picky or snobs. I am neither, I consider myself to be pretty low maintenance, but there were a few things about this place that were deal breakers or could have been much nicer. We had a large group, so we booked the "cattail" lodge, lodge may be the biggest stretch of a word I have seen! It looks like a old house from the outside, with no "outdoor" qualities or charm you would hope for a "lodge" in the SD wilderness. When you go inside things get a little better and it has some charm. Overall it is pretty clean, but this is where things could have been much better. Not all of the light fixtures have shades on them making them look a little tacky. Upstairs there is a larger room with a tv that I guess could be used as a family room, but the only furniture in there is a mattress on the floor!? What am I suppose to do with that? Most rooms do not have light fixtures only lamps, so it can be pretty dark at times. There are 4-5 window air conditioner units in the "lodge", not sure how well they work on keeping the place cool, luckily it was in the high 60's and low 70's when we were there so we never had to really cool it down. The view out the back is very nice of a Canyon Lake and gives you the sense you are in the wilderness even though this lodge is right off a main road in Rapid City. When we were first driving there I was starting to get worried as we were passing through residential neighborhoods and apartment complexes. Most of the furniture is very uncomfortable and not conducive to relaxing after a day of site seeing. The rec. room is nice for the kids, but everything is very old and beat to crude. Even with all of the things that could be better I would recommend this place and stay here again if it weren't for the following deal breaker.....the bathroom showers! There are two bathrooms and each shower is worse then the other. The one upstairs you cannot stand-up straight in unless you are 5' or under. The shower downstairs has three hap hazard bath mats on the floor that makes it look like you are showering at a camp site somewhere. It also is tiny, you can barely turn around in it and you have to get creative to have water get to all of the soap and rinse it off. I booked this lodge for my family and felt like I let them down! The beds are ok and the rooms are clean along with the office folks being extremely nice which are pluses, but at the end of the day I would think twice before you book this place.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family