“Wow!”

Cuisines: Nepalese
Pierce, Nebraska
“Wow!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were spending two days in Rapid City to see the monuments with our friends who were visiting from South America. I did a lot of research before we left and came prepared with a "short list" of possible restaurants to try on the trip. Everest Cuisine was high on my list just because I wanted our friends to try Nepalese/Indian food since they don't have those types of restaurant options where they live.

We had time for lunch on our second day and we put Everest Cuisine into our GPS and headed down Main Street to try to locate it. We actually passed by the first time and had to turn around because the sign was rather small. My husband was skeptical about eating there. We love Indian/Nepalese food, but our friends aren't familiar with the flavors and they especially don't like spicy food.

We parked and I ran inside to ask about the spiciness level of the food. When I opened the door my nose was immediately in heaven. The aroma inside the restaurant was enough to make me sit down immediately and leave everyone else outside in the car! It smelled heavenly with many delicate layers of cumin, cinnamon, and curry...yum! At the time I didn't know the man at the cash register was the owner. I asked him about how spicy the food was and he said we should get the buffet that it was very, very mild and would be perfect for our friends. So I headed back out to bring everyone inside.

All of us got the buffet and it included absolutely everything. Naan, papadums, tamarind sauce, chutneys, fresh veggies, rice, and 3 vegetarian as well as 3 meat options. There was also rice pudding for dessert and hot masala chai tea you could sweeten to your liking.

From the first bite we could tell they really cook there. So many places just have what I like to call the "Pegler-Sysco Flavor" of mass production. One of the meats in the buffet was goat (which happens to be one of my favorite meats) and I knew they weren't buying goat meat from a restaurant supplier! It was real food and it was so fantastic. I would drive the 7 hours back to Rapid City just to eat at Everest Cuisine.

I think it's so easy for even ethnic restaurants to fall into the trap of mass produced food so easily obtained through restaurant supply companies. It was such a treat to find a place that did real cooking.

As we were leaving I had a lovely conversation with the man I now know is the owner. He was so sweet and cheerful. I appreciate meeting people who are always quick to smile and wish you a good day. Thank you so much for a great experience and we are looking forward to coming back as soon as we can!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Mainky

“Must eat”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This place lived up to it's #1 ranking. We got the sample dish, and everything on there was delicious. Probably the best Indian food I've ever had, very surprising for South Dakota!

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Tasty and quick”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We came in for the lunch buffet. All the options were hot and were being refilled often. Everyone working was very nice and welcoming. The chicken tikka masala had huge chunks of tasty chicken which was a welcome surprise, as at other places it has been sort of a mish mash of chicken types. The buffet was served with naan and had rice pudding as a dessert option. Overall very delicious!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lauren P
Omaha, Nebraska
“Phenomenal Food”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

This place absolutely blew me away with how good it was. Service was amazing, and the lunch buffet lived up to every bit of the hype. Highly recommended.

Cleveland, Ohio
“So good, we went back the next day”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We only had 2 nights scheduled to stay in South Dakota.. Badlands one day, Mount Rushmore the next... I can tell you, this place was a gem of a find.. The food was excellent. We ordered Lamb, we ordered Vegetarian, Naan, Mango Lassi, it did not matter, everything was excellent. The staff was very friendly, very nice people. We were so impressed on the first night, that the next day the whole family agreed, it was a no brainier, we needed to go back.. I wish I lived closer so I can keep going.

• Visited June 2014