“OK but not great!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 14 October 2011

This hotel is convenient to Ellsworth AFB, Rapid City, and the local tourist attractions (Rushmore, Keystone, Hill City, etc.) The room rates are competitive. The exercise room was very nice...smaller in person than the webpage made it look but the equipment was very nice and well-maintained. I enjoyed my workout there each day.

We reserved a king bed with in-room spa. Upon arrival, we were told that only handicap accessible rooms had a spa tub. We asked to change rooms because of the lack of counter space and the water mess handicap showers make. Fortunately we do not need a handicap room. After a few minutes wait and discussion, it became clear we would not change rooms because it just wasn't worth the hassle for only two nights. The webpage should make it clear that spa rooms are only handicap accessible, it would have made a difference in our room selection.

The room came with a pillow-top king size bed and a spa tub. The bed was OK but not great. When I awoke in the morning, my back hurt. The pillows were very small. The spa tub (whirlpool) was ineffective. It was plenty big but the whirlpool action was non-existent. On the second day there, we did not receive floor mats for the tub and shower and only one towel per person (we had specifically asked for extra towels for the duration of our stay).

Continental breakfast was served each morning with the usual breakfast items (yogurt, cereal, muffins, etc.) After breakfast the first day, we noticed wrappers for egg muffins in one of the garbage cans. I asked the server about them and she told me they did not put them out for breakfast because everyone would want one and they would run out. Further, she told me that if I wanted one, all I had to do was ask her and she would get me one.

Room Tip: Unless you are handicapped, don't ask for a spa room
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites Rapid City

Reviewed 13 October 2011

This was more of an accidental stop when we weren't able to make it where we wanted to go that night. Then we discovered that the prices were high because they had a water park. It was excellent and worth the price. They were overbooked but managed to find us a room after allowing ample time for no-shows. The staff was more than helpful and very accommodating to our needs. Much appreciated. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get reservations early. It seems to be booked up.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2011

First of all, DO NOT STAY ANYWHERE ELSE IF YOU ARE VISITING RAPID CITY WITH KIDDOS! Fairfield Rapid City is clean, affordable, and has so many ammenities. Free breakfast, including oatmeal with raisins, nuts, and cinnamon, waffles, cereal, eggs, donuts, bread, coffee, juice, milk.....what a spread. The staff at the front desk were accomodating and the king suite was spacious, with a seperate living area, fridge and microwave. The room was cleaned every day (we stayed 4 nights) and the beds were soooo comfy with pillowtop mattresses. The rate was great at $119 per night. Waitiki water park (attached) is heaven for kids. The "flush" water slide is the best ride ever, compared to any water park we have been to. For $7.50 per person it is a very cheap way to spend your evenings and wear the kids out. Although the lifegaurds don't smile, they do seem to care about their environment, always cleaning something. The restaurant, Sliders, is so good, but expensive. The slider burgers, and shrimp app are great. The balloon guy is fun too, for a tip he will make a great souvenier for your kids. All in all.... a wonderful vacation, 20 minutes from Mount Rushmore and all the other attractions.

Room Tip: The suites are great!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Fairfield Inn is doing an excellent job satisfying guests, this motel is no exception! Check-in was quick, easy and effortless. The special request I had when booking on their website was honored. The room was clean, and well cared for. I felt as if I was the first guest to use the room! Their internet site does list refrigerators in each room. There was none when I entered the room. I went to the front desk to ask for a room with a fridge, they said "no problem sir", when I returned to my room, the front desk clerk was at my door with a refrigerator. I still don't know how he got up there quicker than I did, and he had a refrigerator with him!

The free breakfast was wonderful, in Fairfield Inn style! The motel is quiet, and located just off I-90. It’s minutes away from many attractions in the nearby Black Hills. I will stay here again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here one night in late August (NOT during Sturgis.) Our room was very rundown feeling with the furniture having multiple chips and two drawers had broken runners. The walls and doors are very thin, so you can hear everything around you. Hallway noise is really bad. Breakfast was ok - nothing special. For just over $100/night, this hotel is not worth it.

At the end of our trip, we stayed in the new Hilton Garden Inn on the opposite side of the interstate. Breakfast was great and the rooms are new and quiet. Much better.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Girllamm
Reviewed 27 September 2011

After reading some of the reviews on here I was nervous about staying here....however I didn't have any problems, the staff were all VERY VERY friendly and the rooms were very nice, never had an issue with any noise and the beds were soft and comfortable.

The only drawback, and I knocked them down one rating for this, was the towels in the room were crappy and thin, I am not a HUGE person and still had to use three towels to dry off after my shower. Time to invest in some nice, newer towels.

Best part about this was the price, only paid $69 for a suite....sure it was some special going on, but that was a fantastic deal for a room that would cost $150 or more anywhere else. I would highly recommend this hotel and will be returning myself if in Rapid City again.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the top floor.....probably cuts a lot of the noise out from the water park.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We were very pleased with our stay at this hotel. We travel a great deal so have stayed at many hotels. The staff here took extra time to help us with the local sites and area. They picked us up at the airport and returned us without a charge to us. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was outstanding. You could not ask for a better front desk staff than we experienced here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family