“Giant waterpark on the property (not what we were there for, but OK)”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Rapid City
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Greenville, South Carolina
“Giant waterpark on the property (not what we were there for, but OK)”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

When I booked this room it was because it was a Marriott and my husband and I planned to fly out of Rapid City after a nice road trip visiting several major national parks. It was close to Mt Rushmore, which was the last park on our intinerary. We ended up here a day ahead of schedule and I had added a 2nd night from the road prior to arriving. We figured we would travel 50 or so miles east to the Badlands on our "extra" day (which we did, with a stop at Wall Drug which we were glad we did as well).

When I booked, I was thinking airport and location, not waterpark. So imagine our surprise when we go to check in and there are LOTS of excited kids in the lobby - some wet, some anxious to get wet. Oh boy.

So I asked for a top floor room, was offered a 3rd floor. I knew this could be trouble, so I insisted further. The manager gave us a free upgraded room on top floor - a room with a jacuzzi (that we didn't use). It was a handicap accessible room with a jacuzzi (?). We were fine with that, the top floor was most important.

I was very apprehensive about what the noise was going to be like even from top floor since the room was facing the interstate and also on the side with the waterpark, but we had no noise issues. The hotel itself was a little old, but had brand new carpet everywhere, which was great. The breakfast area in the mornings were chaos, so we ate at McDonalds next door - no big deal for us.

So in all, a good stay - satisfied with everything - and a giant waterpark can be great for some (and the reason, obviously, that a lot of people choose this property) but don't let it scare you away if you're not interested in this feature.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Conneticut
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This wonderful hotel with large rooms and very comfortable beds was in a great location for our visit to Mt. Rushmore. Daniel (the mgr) and Ashley who checked us in were extremely pleasant and helpful. Sliders, a restaurant next door to the Fairfield Inn has delicious food and reasonable
prices. Internet is included as well as a very good complimentary breakfast. It is attached to an indoor water park which was not crowded since most children are back in school .

Room Tip: We loved room 302, a very spacious one bedroom in a quiet area.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Penn Laird, VA
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here for a family vacation, which included visiting Mt Rushmore, not too far away. Very nice hotel, great breakfast spread, included in the hotel cost, and a great staff. There is an attached water park, which we did not have the opportunity to visit. The water park entrance fee is not included with the cost of the hotel. The room suite was beautiful, offering ample space for all of us to sleep. Great to see PBS, which has appropriate morning programming for the kids. We found the TV/game combined console annoying. When you just want to watch television, you don't want to have to figure our how to get off the game console menu. We visited in the first few days of August 2013, just prior to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. We had not realized that was taking place when it was. The roar of motorcycles was everywhere; the bikers, friendly.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Ok I had previously tried to review this hotel and due to 'insufficient' information it was not published. We flew in here from DFW so spent the first and last night at this hotel on our road trip. The lobby was clean. At the beginning of the road trip we got a room on the second floor which was ok. The last night of our trip was a whole different story. We were allocated a room right outside the lobby which looked to the elevators. The room was disgusting and dirty. We were in the room 5 minutes and my 7 year old son said there were flies in the bathroom, dismissing it as just one. We put the tv on and sure enough 3 more flies started flying around. Going to investigate we were disgusted at the grim/rust and dirt in the bathroom. My husband hot-footed it to the front desk and explained to the lady what was in the bathroom. She did not even engage in conversation with him but told him she had no rooms left. After explaining the big flies and dirt she moved us without even inspecting the room. Fairfield this hotel my have a clean and upgraded lobby but this in not the case with the rooms. Very disappointed in you Marriott!!!

Room Tip: If you get allocated the first floor room right by the lobby and lifts say NO!!!!!
2 Thank Sharron M
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

I has nothing but great experiences at thw Fairfield. The manager (Daniel) and receptionist (Ashley) were absolutely fantastic. They made sure we always had what we needed and assisted whenever asked. Front desk, in general was beyond amazing! Huge continental breakfast and our room was awesome. The hotel itself was clean and inviting. The Watiki water park (attached) was the best price I've seen and the most accommodating for all ages. I can't wait to see what the future expansion holds. My son could crawl where ever and not get scraped up from the ground! Our room seemed soundproof, as I heard no one outside ever. This made it perfect for when my kids had to sleep at their scheduled bed times. Sliders grill has a menu that seems to suit many food varieties and decently priced. I have to say this was my best stay yet in Rapid City! I plan to stay here next time we come to visit as it was one of my best experiences.

• Stayed August 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I stayed with my family with two small kids this past week and had a WONDERFUL time with the hotel, the attached Watiki waterpark, and the absolutely awesome Sliders sports bar and lounge. The food was great, the room was unbelievable, and the staff was great. I'm already planning my return to the area in the near future!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Room Tip: Staying in one of the suites that overlooks the waterpark is a great plus for the kids!
1 Thank pcorrao79
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We arrived late at night to the Fairfield. Staff were pleasant. Our room was up to date in furnishings and decorating. Very clean. We stayed one night here to begin our vacation and will stay again at the end. We did not realize it was attached to a water park when we arrived. Breakfast was ok.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rapid City
Country Inn Rapid City
Country Inn Rapid City
#8 of 48 in Rapid City
Baymont Inn & Suites Rapid City

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Rapid City? Share your experiences!