“Horrible Experience”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #37 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I will make this review not so sweet. This hotel has basically stolen over $900 out of my checking account via my debit card in less than one week for 4 rooms that were supposed to be an arrival of a Friday but they "happened" to book for Thursday. So when I called to cancel the reservations at midnight on Thursday, I was told I had to pay for all 4 rooms even though we didn't occupy the rooms. The next morning I called the GM of this place & she told me she would NOT reverse the $530 worth of charges because I caused her to lose revenues on those rooms. That I affected her bottom line and that she had lots of people that she could've rented those rooms too. It was my screw up, according to her & so I had to pay the price for her losing revenue. This hotel has since made 3 more charges to my account totaling $397.00. For what you ask? I don't know. Maybe the GM thought that I didn't suffer enough for her lost revenues. I called to make a complaint to corporate. They said it will take about 72 hours to even get this looked at. Meanwhile, my checking account has been hammered by them to the tune of over $900 in a matter of 5 days. I do NOT recommend this hotel. And do NOT give them a credit/debit card!!! I now have to go hot card my checking account to stop any more charges from going thru. Thanks Econo Lodge. Thanks. Update: I've now had to take things further by making fraud charges thru my bank on some of the charges. I now have had to "hot card" my debit card & my husbands. We have had to order all new debit cards. All because this establishment doesn't know when to stop putting "holds" on our cards. This experience has been a NIGHTMARE.

Room Tip: Don't book at this place.
1  Thank Michelle M
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

I feel more than terrible that you are angered by our establishment. I remember talking with you and hanging up and you seemed extremely understanding. We do have a policy that state you have to cancel within 24 hours of the reservation. Since you tried to cancel the night of the reservation at 1:30 in the morning there was nothing I could do. I am severely sorry that you are a customer that I could not please and that you feel I have I am insincere. I truly am not. The authorizations that you are speaking of will fall off. If you have any other concerns please feel free to call the hotel and contact me as you did before. I will never turn down a customer's concerns.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I am very very disappointed in this location. We were booked to stay for 3 nights and on the second day we received a call there was a family emergency, at 1 10 pm I went to the front desk to see if we could check out as house keeping had not even been to our room yet. The manager Jamie was not available she had stepped out. The front desk clerk was doing his best and had mentioned that they were fully booked and were turning people away, as I waited for the manger to call the desk back I watched 2 separate people get turned away.
When she finally called back at 2 30 pm the clerk to,d her the situation and we were told NO we would still have to pay for the night. We decided that we need to leave anyways as we had to get home, and again another couple came to check in.
I understand policy but this was a very time sensitive situation, the room had not even been cleaned by house keeping yet, and customers were being turned away while we waited for the manager to call her staff back.
I would also like to point out that I was not even able to get a receipt as the staff she had left alone were not able to check us out or give me a receipt.
I would like a response and I know that this room was rented out for the night and they were able to double their money on this room due to our lack of misfortune.

Stayed: July 2013

Speaking to you two days later, this was easily resolved. Dealing with the biggest bike rally in the world sometimes limits us from our guests and that is terrible and not and excuse; however, after talking to this individual on the phone ended up being one of the most enlightening experiences ever! They were so mild mannered and they had given me the benefit of the doubt. They at one time had been in my shoes but in a different business, realizing how miscommunication can happen at times. I thank this person for their wonderful insight and their amazing communication skills! This was not a bad review but a wonderful guest that I hope to see again! Thank you for your amazing understanding and thoughtful words when your life was so stressful. I envy you...

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed for 3 days. Room had been recently updated. Bed was very comfortable. Nice pool, hot tub, and waterslide. Breakfast was very good. Other restaurants in walking distance. Hotel staff was were very polite and helpful. All though you cannot smoke in the rooms, the door leading to the outside from the room made doing so less a inconvenient. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Wow! I think you hit everything on the head and I could of not said it any better. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to us on tripadvisor.com and the millions of other possible customers that survey us. That is an extremely thoughtful and devoted gesture and we appreciate you! I can't wait till you stay again... and next time you better stop by and introduce yourself!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

If you looking to visit the black hills and plan on staying for a few days to see the sights, save the gas and stay in Hill City or Keystone. Otherwise, this hotel was great for us. The rooms have been remodeled and are clean. Fun slide and pool for the kids, staff was friendly and they even had biscuits and gravy. We always had fresh towels. No bed bugs either. My husband thought I was cuckoo for checking mattresses and headboards but I've heard horror stories. Not about econo lodge but hotels in general. Would stay here again if I was passing through!

• Stayed: July 2013

You made me giggle. Since I have been in hotels, whenever I travel I am the worst critic. I never complain to the front desk so much unless it is serious... but when you talked about checking mattresses that was very funny since I am the same way! I expect the hotel I run to be the hotel I stay in so I completely understand! Sometimes it is NOT so easy to do, but my staff is amazing and I go home each and every night reflecting on the managers and the staff that they lead... and then I reflect on what I did right and wrong and what to do better tomorrow. Thank you for making me smile tonight. I know we did something right for you!

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed here for three days last week. Our double queen room had clearly been updated recently, and was very nicely equipped with a huge flat screen TV, mini-frig, microwave, and good beds (appropriately firm) with nice bedding and pillows. Bathroom also good, though could have used more counter space. Hotel also had a pool with a decent corkscrew slide that the kids enjoyed very much. Staff was helpful. Breakfast was reasonably good, though not stellar. In addition to normally variety of hot and cold cereal, muffins, pastries, and the usual hotel waffle machines, there was also cold boiled eggs, and biscuits and gravy daily. Would love to see some scrambled eggs or the like, but otherwise well-done. Room was reasonably priced at about $120/night. Overall very pleased and would not hesitate to return here. Recommended.

Room Tip: We had third (top) floor room. Quiet, but tradeoff is need for elevator/stairs. Laundry is on second...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking your time on to speak with us on tripadvisor.com! Knowing you had a great stay makes these responses so much easier. I come home at night and sit out on my deck so I can make these responses personal. I do not do them because I have to, but because I want the customer to know how important they are and their responses are. When you have enjoyed your stay it makes my job a little easier, but I still know that my job is never ending!
I can't wait to see you again and I hope your vacation was terrific and unforgettable.. in a great way!

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We recently stayed here for four nights from July 6/13-July 10th/13 during our Black Hills/Badlands/Deadwood road trip, and it was great!
Completely remodeled, spotlessly clean, and in a terrific location. A Bostons (used to be a Boston Pizza, I presume?), and Dennys right across the street, an Outback Steakhouse in the parking lot (yay!) close to a TGIFridays, minutes away from the Rushmore Mall, and right beside I-90.
The pool is small and gets full, and I do mean FULL of kids, so go during adult swim from 10pm-11pm (make it till 12am for adults!) if you want to keep your eardrums intact. The waterslide is an absolute blast, one of the fastest I've ever gone down.
The breakfast area gets pretty packed too, but wasn't an issue for us because of the aforementioned Dennys.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful, especially in trying to help us locate somewhere to exchange Canadian currency. There was a fellow there, I didn't catch his name (Rick? I think) with a grey beard who was wonderful. I dealt with the manager Jamie for a few things and she was very courteous, and quick to respond to anything I asked. (I wonder if our room remote was ever located?)
If I have any complaints, its that room 301 (our room) is apparently right beside to housekeeping storage room or something, and they start banging the door closed (onto the deadbolt latch I think) CONSTANTLY, like, every 30 seconds or so, and this goes on for awhile. I guess it worked in driving us out of bed a bit earlier so we could start our sightseeing, but if I DID want to sleep in a bit, forget it!
Oh, and the back door facing the restaurants was never locked either. Might want to get that fixed!
All in all, a wonderful place to stay, would stay there again in a heartbeat, and will recommend to others!

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 301 if you want to sleep in. and the Outback has $4 "Big Bloke" bee...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R N

I love you guys! You have the most wonderful personality that I have read in a long time! The wonderfully mentioned Rick, gets accused all the time of looking like Colonel Sanders and has even had pictures taken with him from people over seas! I think it is so funny and it always makes him smile. He loves people and he is wonderful with ALL our customers! I told him about your wonderful comment and he appreciates it and thanks you for it.
You could not have explained our establishment better, and how we are centrally located to all the tourist locations. We make it easy for you to plan your various adventures!
Thank you also for you extremely nice wonderful comment towards myself. Didn't even know I was going out of my way. I was just having fun with the customers! Hope to see you again and I do remember you! Safe travels.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Looked nice and clean inside and outside. Room looked brand new and the bathroom was spacious and had new appliances. indoor pool with a waterslide, great for kids. Jacuzzi facing the waterslide, great for adults. The pool also stays open an extra hour for adults only. Breakfast was busy but well stocked. best part was the waffles but there was a large selection including biscuits and gravy and several cheeses. right off the highway and right near a walmart and walgreens if you forgot some things. Better then expected for the price.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
jcarda, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Your review makes me smile. Thank you so much for taking the time to tell others how much you enjoyed our hotel. A hotel this size is not easy to maintain 100% customer satisfaction with every customer, so when it is achieved it makes one go home at the end of the day with a piece of pride. That is not just for me, but also for my staff because I share these reviews with my management team as a learning and a monitoring tool.
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day and letting us know that we impacted your vacation in a positive way.