“Excellent staff”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #37 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed in this motel a few years ago and decided to give it another try and the remodel was excellent, but still some issues -no darkening curtains on a west-facing room so too much sun. During our stay we had a medical emergency and staff was wonderful, gave quickest directions to hospital, extended the stay when we called from ER, helped moved relatives between rooms and I believe every front desk person asked how our relative was doing after surgery - a very persona touch. Kevin McNaught was the front desk person at 1am when the whole thing started and he did a great job giving directions and even assisting in getting my spouse to the car, then helping in the morning with rearranging rooms. Breakfast was good, price was even better and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Third floor is quieter with nobody above and would ask for a room on the east side to avoid the morn...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Barbara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

First of all I want to thank you for the great review. We are very proud of our staff here at Econo Lodge as they do go above and beyond. I hope that your family member is doing well and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed 12 November 2013

So let me start by saying I'm a bit OCD with cleanliness and this was my first stay in a pet room. Even with that said, the beds were dirty even to average standards. I was very hesitant to stay in a pet room to begin with. My cat is a very clean pet who doesn't even scratch furniture or urinate on things.
The front desk lady was unsmiling and when I asked for a clean comforter even before I saw the room, she kept insisting they were changed every day. I asked another employee when I made the reservation and he said otherwise. After getting a new comforter, I went in the room. In the bed, in the supposed clean sheets, there was long cat hairs and a cat claw, if you can imagine that. The comforters were also stained. So I asked for another room. The second room was cleaner, but I still had to change the comforters, as they were stained and dirty. I can say the room otherwise was very clean and the furnishings were appealing. However, with the beds being dirty, it definitely ruined my want to stay there again.
The breakfast was also kind of disappointing. They had your standard waffles, muffins, cereal, biscuits and gravy, but it would be nice to have something somewhat healthy, like eggs or cream cheese with toast for protein. I honestly may not have really cared about this too much normally, but I was already disappointed in the room. Next time I will just pay a bit more for the hotel with a higher rating.

• Stayed: November 2013
Barbara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us this review. It gives us feedback that can be helpful in making things better. I sincerely appologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. This was an isolated incident and i hope you will give us another try. Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Pros: Excellent remodel. Very large flat screen in the room, new fridge and microwave. Very updated. Breakfast was good, great location, right off the interstate. Can access Mount Rushmore in a short amount of time.

Cons: Remodeled but doors are still old, can hear EVERYTHING. WiFi was spotty most of the times. Renovation in bathroom is a little messy around the tub, sprinkler rusty.

The staff was very nice and kind. Helpful and informative. Very nice for the price I paid. Computer in the lobby was very fast and has a printer.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Barbara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very proud of the changes that have been made and will continue do make changes as time goes on. Again thank you and look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I want to start by saying we rarely ever stay in an Econolodge. Overall reviews on trip advisor led me to this one. What a blessing to be led to an unexpected surprise!

First of all, the staff is awesome. Very pleasant and helpful. Rick and Carrie were both awesome with information and just generally pleasant people who seemed to enjoy their job. Very personable! Customer service is everything!!!

As for our room, I am blown away. I always carry my own cleaning supplies, Clorox wipes, Tilex and Lysol spray. Imagine my surprise when I walked in this beautifully decorated, large room. Being a bit germophobic/OCD, I still felt the need to swipe the switches, remote and door knob. Not a speck of dust! I am still amazed. I had to keep asking my boyfriend are we sure this is an Econolodge?

This room is so pleasant, we decided to extend our stay two more nights. Let me tell you what you can expect at this Econolodge. Updated rooms, beautifully decorated, fresh clean carpet, nice lighting. They have an indoor pool which looks nice, but I didn't use it. I highly recommend this Econolodge.

This is for the manager if he/she reads this. You have an awesome establishment. It is very apparent that you take pride in your work and that of your staff. This is the cleanest hotel of any Choice Hotel that I have stayed in. Also the most beautifully decorated. Kudos to you and your staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Barbara M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to recognize us on Tripadvisor. You are definately right about our employees as they are loving their jobs and care greatly about the customers experience. Thank you again and hope to see you soon

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Econo Lodge in Rapid City South Dakota from Oct 2 to 6, 2013.
This is the exact time when Rapid City received the worst fall snow blizzard in its history. The power was out for 3 days, all roads were closed in the city and the parking lot and roads around the motel were drifted in so some cars were practically buried under snow drifts; no one could go or come, not even emergency services anywhere in ths city. The Econo Lodge staff (David Dodge, Kevin McKnott and Rick Weaver) did everything in their power to ensure their guests were safe, warm and fed. For three days they stayed at their post, sleeping only occasionally during the night to ensure someone would be available around the clock to assist the guests if needed. They surveyed the guests and found a transformer in one of the vehicles that they could run a cord from so they could offer hot biscuits and gravy to the guests so that there would be hot food to eat. They even showed DVD’s in the breakfast area for some entertainment for the guests as no TVs worked with the power out.
I congratulate these three men for going above and beyond to help stranded travelers. Econo Lodge you should be proud of this class of representative.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cliff S

Thanks for the wonderful review. We are so proud of our employees as they handled that situation to the best of their ability and they were truely concerned for the safety and comfortability of our guests. We hope to see you again soon with Power!!

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Because this is an Econo Lodge I have to be fair because this is a budget Hotel but this was a terrible experience. I am a "Platinum Elite" Guest at the Choice Hotel Chain and usually have pleasant stays at most of their Hotels. When I checked in I was told about two tour buses that would have 90 people on them staying overnight and I might hear the Housekeeping Staff after 8 am. I didn't think this was a problem until the next morning the Breakfast Room was packed and all I was able to get close to was a cup of coffee. I went back to my room for about 35 minutes and tried again. The room was still packed and it struck me these were mostly retirement age people and this was their vacation. Most guests would eat and leave but this was a social event for them and they weren't going anywhere. I decided to leave for breakfast but commented to the gentleman at the front desk about this. He said not to worry but they would leave about 8 am. Because I am traveling on business I couldn't wait that late and went across the street to Denny's and paid 14 dollars for runny eggs. The Hotel Employee really gave me the impression that the buses were more important than me.
I got back to my room at 5:15 that afternoon and the housekeeping had the third floor a complete mess. There were 4 ladies yelling down the halls at each other and slamming every door over and over. I asked them to stop this noise but they only tried harder to make is louder. I went to the Front Desk (twice in the same Hotel on the same day?!?!) and told a Young Lady named Sarah about this. I left to get something to eat and came back about 5:45 and the slamming doors had moved outside my room next to me and across from me. I went out again and told them to stop slamming doors and the Housekeeper got in my face about it. A heavyset girl with fake eyebrows and glasses (no name tag) actually tried to stare me down!
I called Sarah again but she said she had tried but that was all she could do. I asked for a Manager but they had all left for the weekend and she made it clear there was nothing she could do. She did suggest I fill out a comment card if I had a problem.
I wish there was something I could do as a recourse but it seems I am screwed and this Hotel will continue to operate this way and screw everyone else that doesn't like their Hotel.
What a horrible way of doing business!

Room Tip: Stay at a different Hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. We can take these reviews and learn from them. I am sincerely sorry you had a bad experience. I hope that you will give us another try if you are ever in the area.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I just completed my stay at the Econolodge in Rapid City. Each day they had a good complementary breakfast...waffles, biscuits & sausage gravy, muffins and more. The location was very convenient for getting easily to the historical attractions we wanted to see. They had a large cleaning staff that kept the rooms clean. They had a pool with a water slide and though we didn't go into it, many people did and it seemed as if they were having a lot of fun. All of the staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make our trip enjoyable. For example, we mentioned to one employee named Kevin that we had never seen a buffalo or antelope. After Kevin got off work he mentioned that he would go with us to see them and rode with us into the prarie. We saw them and then enjoyed a nice lunch together at a restaurant he recommended. We really enjoyed our stay and if we come to Rapid City again will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay here. We appreciate that you took the time to give us a great review and look forward to seeing you again.