“Trip to rapid city”

Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed at GrandStay for our Back Hills Trip
The cons first
The room we were in had garage and wrappers left behind the couch and curtains
They forgot to clean our room the first day
The fan in the Bathroom was not working
Pool very small

Pros
Lots of space
Beds were comfortable
The breakfast was average

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nancy b

Reviewed 25 August 2013

moving across country from the pacific northwest to the Midwest- this was a great place to stop for a night when you want to include a side trip to Mt. Rushmore. Right off the freeway, gas station next door. The place was clean. There's a kid's indoor pool area. No continental breakfast but the Perkins attached to the hotel worked fine. The place was packed so had a difficult time turning my 24-foot moving van around.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I was really surprised that it did NOT include free breakfast ... there was a line of people waiting for a beautiful breakfast buffet with amazing food, but it turned out it was only for tour groups (there were three busloads of seniors there each night of our stay). There is a Perkins attached, but I've come to rely on those free breakfasts when traveling with kids. No refridgerator in the room either. Great for seniors looking for a quieter stay, but I won't stay there with my kids again. Wished there was a hot tub. The workout room needed a separate key from the desk, which was a little inconvenient. Elegant older-style hotel decor, not generic, which was nice.

Room Tip: We were facing the parking lot and there was some road noise and bright lights through the crack in...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I really liked this place! Everything was clean, the bed was comfortable and the location worked well for me. Across the parking lot was a convenience store and connected to a Perkins. The only bad mark is that I left a do not disturb sign on the door, yet when I returned they had come into my room and left a notice on the desk that I had missed maid service. Now in all fairness this probably was a maid that I hope knew I was gone, but what if I had been there doing who knows what or what if it wasn't the maid? The notice is supposed to be slipped under the door. With that being the only exception I would definitely stay here again! They have safes that will hold a laptop and only one key to the safe feature I really like.

Room Tip: Both ends have their own benefits. Travelers with kids will want a room on the west end close to the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TaberRules
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I almost passed on this hotel and I'm glad I didn't. It's an older hotel so a few stains on the carpet didn't make me want to leave. The kids loved the pool but they do need someone in there to supervise kids and teens who can't read the rules or to tell the idiot parents of those idiot kids to follow the rules. Room was great and even though I didn't know the area I felt safe.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I made a reservation for my hubby and 8 yr old at the Grand Getaway ( on Expedia.com) the hotel is great but I will NEVER use Expedia again due to horrible service. I called the hotel and spoke with Brandy to explain a change I was trying I make for their stay ( Expedia refused to help and kept me on hold for over 20 minutes and then hung up on my ) I explained all of this to Brandy and she said she cold help and offered to just call me back since I'd already spent so much time on the phone. She was personable, customer-focused and I could hear over the phone that she remained cheerful. I appreciated the above and beyond service. Great service is NOT a thing of the past! Thanks Brandy, you represented South Dakota well!

Reviewed 31 July 2013

When I booked the room I didn't realize we had no refrigerator. Upon checking in I asked to upgrade so we could have one. It was a minimal price that was worth it. We had a forth floor room near the elevator, it was noisy until around 10so no big deal, but this was a Sunday night so weekends could be louder. The slide was cool for the kids. It is not a pool to swim-basically just for the slide so hard for tiny kids. No breakfast-not even coffee! We could make a pot in our room.

Room Tip: Rooms near elevator are loud.