“exceeded my expectations”

Grand Gateway Hotel
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Rapid City
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked through Booking.com and had an unbelievable rate for room we expected to only sleep in, therefore, not expecting much else. What a surprise! Clean large lobby. Separate pool area with long slide for the kids (I don't have any). Separate exercise room but I didn't look in. Large clean room with very comfortable beds with pillowtop mattresses. Though no breakfast with the room, Perkins was attached to the hotel. Wi-Fi wasn't working while we were there, our only complaint

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Just stayed at the Grand Gateaway, The front desk employees were very accommodating. They Did a walk through with me before I book and matched the price I found on line. The hotel has a Victorian feel. It is beautiful and the bed is the most comfortable I have ever experienced. The only down side is the house keeping left a little to be desired never the less I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Anytime we travel to Rapid City, Grand Gateway is our choice. Ok, it may not be the Ritz Carlton, but dollar for dollar, they get it right. Rooms are nice sized, well appointed, and clean. We especially enjoy the king and presidential suites and having Perkins room service! You can't go wrong with the Grand Gateway!

Room Tip: If you can get a good rate, grab the presidential suite or one of the two room suites!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Huge, surprisingly elegant and clean guest rooms. No free breakfast, but that's a good thing in my opinion; I don't eat it at other hotels, so why should I pay for it? For $35 I had a spacious room with a very European feel, glasses instead of disposable cups, a free lending library, and a very comfortable mattress with soft, clean linens. The walls were not sound-proof... I could hear the TV in the room next to me but for the price I'm willing to accept that. I did not try out the water slide or pool but they looked very inviting for families. There are several cozy public sitting areas throughout the hotel, and the on-site lounge and restaurant are very convenient.

Room Tip: If the hotel is not full, ask them to put you in a room with no one in the adjacent room... the wall...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank M G
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Will go back to this hotel! The staff was amazingly accommodating, room was clean with a fire place and a jacuzzi tub on the 4th floor with amazing views of the sunrise. A shout out to the staff, they went above and beyond their duties to make our anniversary special.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Mdlarson
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel was a great value. We got a room for $50. First the pros: The location is ideal. The beds are comfortable. The room are well sized. Perkins is attached and delivers to your room until 9. The bar also delivers wine to your room. The pool is also a great asset for families.

The cons: no breakfast. The gym equipment is out dated and the elliptical was broke.

We would stay again

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank sir_grouch
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Upon our arrival at the hotel, my friend went in to check if there were rooms available and he was told that there is a room with 2 beds available. We parked the vehicle and went to the desk where the clerk took my credit card and ID. Then she told me that there isnt a room with 2 beds available and that we would have to get a single room but said that the hotel could provide a Bed Roll for us. She pre authorized my credit card and then gave me my room key, then decided to tell me it was going to cost me an extra 10 dollars for the bed roll (sorry but in customer service when you mess up, I shouldn't have to pay for it...thats just my opinion). So we decided to do that. However; when we got to the room, the internet was not working at all and we needed the internet as we were travelling for business. There were also kids running up and down the hallway being very loud screaming and yelling with no parents supervising them. We went down the road to the Hampton where the room was cheaper, they offered fresh baked cookies in the lobby, the staff was very friendly and the room had 2 beds.

We decided after approx 20 mins that we were going to check out and leave the hotel. I went and explained myself to the lady at the front desk and she told me that I would not be charged for the room as we were only in it for 20 minutes and she seemed shocked that I was not impressed with the hotel. It has been a couple of days and I checked my credit card statement online - which shows that I did in fact get charged for the room for the night and we didnt even stay there! I contacted the hotel via email and still have not had a response. I am very unimpressed and I will definitely never return to a Grand Gateway Hotel ever again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rdrisc92
lesliesherry, Manager at Grand Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Please accept our apologies as we were obviously unable to meet your needs and expectations. Due to multiple sources of reservations, there is sometimes a conflict on room types. At the very least a complimentary bed roll would have been appropriate.

On the weekend in question, we added additional security to walk the property and control the situation in the hallways.

I will personally address your charge issues. Thank you for considering our property and we would definitely welcome an opportunity to serve you in the future and make things right. I will contact you personally as a follow up.