“Bait and switched to crappy hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Gateway Hotel

Grand Gateway Hotel
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Rapid City
California, Maryland
“Bait and switched to crappy hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Prepaid 5 months in advance. We called ahead to confirm reservations but when we arrived they did not have a room with 2 queen beds. We were switched to another hotel that had wall paper peeling and hard beds. No refund no discount. We paid full price for a crappy room. Bait and switch? Maybe. Maximizing profits with degrading quality..... at least the quality of our visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JoshingYu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed here for several nights in March 2014. Reserved a 4th floor room with a refrigerator, which was 10/night higher priced. Found bugs in the bed, although not bedbugs, they were bugs. There were no more rooms with a refrigerator, so I was moved to a room without a refrigerator. I was promised an adjustment to the bill since there were no comparable rooms available. Upon checkout the bill was not adjusted and I was told the night manger would have to do it that evening. A week later, still no adjustment so I called. Was told it would be taken care of that night. A couple weeks later still no adjustment. Third call to inquire what the situation was... was told that instead of adjusting the 10 dollars per night for the downgrade in my room they would send me a voucher for a free room. Guess what - IT NEVER CAME!!! I emailed and called again, no response. There were also many parties going on throughout the night in the hotel the four days I was there. IF management doesn't step up, this hotel is going to continue to spiral down quickly and that's a shame!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Gail G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Room was clean, and the staff at the front desk was very friendly and informative when assisting us on our vacation. Facilities were very nice, and we all especially enjoyed the pool and hot tub areas. The only drawback was that there was no continental breakfast due to the Perkins restaurant attached to the hotel. Had a very nice stay, and we would gladly come again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Jane63838
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Check in was hectic and waited quite awhile to check in. Seems there were a few rooms overbooked.
Outside of the hotel was ok. Not much green space. Parking lot was not well light at night.
The hotel lobby was nice. Although the pool and bar area are right off of the lobby making it a congested and noisy area.
Our room was clean, and tired. Spots on the carpets. Blanket worn thin from too many Washings, and my bed had a major squeak when I would change position. Bathroom was clean. This is an ok place. Close to downtown and Mt. Rushmore area. Would I stay here again? I would try other hotels.

3 Thank jrevfox
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I'm always amazed at the comments some people make about hotels. "Dark" and "TV's from the Smithsonian." Really?!?! You're in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota and you're worried about a tube tv in your room? If you want a $400 room at the Hyatt then book a room at the Hyatt. This hotel was very nice. Room was clean and spacious. Desk staff was professional and competent. We stayed 3 nights and, contrary to another review, the rooms were cleaned and the towels were changed daily. I really have nothing negative to say about this hotel. Plus I found a good price on one of the online sites.

Room Tip: There's a Perkins attached to this hotel so they do not have breakfast.
1 Thank steve995
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

After a 13 hour car ride, the last thing we needed was issues with our hotel room. Upon checking in, the front desk worker who had started just a few weeks prior, realized that the room that had originally been assigned to us had been given to someone else. He Obviously needed more training. He was unaware of what to do, so luckily one of the porters stepped in and finished out check in. We went to out room and found dirty comforters and no roll away bed as promised. After calling to the front desk and having a confrontational discussion with Scott, he said he would find us a bed. Michelle brought up the bed, which ended up needing a new mattress and bedding! She and Shane brought new bedding for that bed, new comforters for both queen beds, and extra towels for the 5 of us since there were only 4 in the room. If it wouldn't have been for Michelle and Shane I would've checked my family out that night!!! The hotel is very lucky to have 2 very wonderful young people who care about the guests that stay there. The night staff at the front desk needs some serious retraining!!! The 2nd night our keys didn't work and had to be reprogrammed so they would work for the remainder of our stay....frustrating!!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Brenda S
Superior, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ok. The rooms are typical hotel rooms with televisions on loan from the Smithsonian, seriously upgrade the TV's... The energy savings alone would pay for them. My kids loved the pool and waterslide, and there are plenty of areas for relaxing. My other issue is that there is no free breakfast, they try and make you use the attached Perkins, thumbs down... For the price of my stay I was satisfied, but make some simple changes/updates and this place could be great.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family