“Beyond Failure”
Review of Econo Lodge North

Econo Lodge North
Ranked #47 of 53 Hotels in Sioux Falls
Reviewed 29 July 2014

To accommodate a sports weekend in Sioux Falls, we booked a reservation at this property. Having stayed at numerous Econo Lodge properties in the past, we were confident our choice was sound.

It is difficult to begin and end this review, as there was little that was right and proper about the facility and its operation. The sole positive was check-in, which went fairly smoothly.

Overall condition of the property is a D-. Maintenance is sorely lacking, in common areas - and, especially, in guest rooms.

Housekeeping is abysmal. Debris on desktop & floors; hair in bathroom fixtures; rooms inadequately made-up and restored to "check-in" condition.

Interaction with Front Desk staff was disappointing, with select staff being dressed much like "working girls."

Common areas were inhabited by "guests" of questionable ilk. The lobby ended up being a hangout place where food and beverage were being consumed during browsing the web (even though the breakfast area was wide open).

Check-out was disastrous. I received a call (awakening me) from the Front Desk, inquiring how I was going to pay for my room (the room was prepaid). From the time I arrived at the Front Desk - until the matter was finally resolved - was 1 hour 25 minutes.

Under no circumstances should ANYONE consider this property UNLESS they are OK with a property one small step above a flop house. I have been a road warrior for >35 years, and know of what I speak.

Room Tip: From my experience, I seriously doubt there are ANY "good rooms."
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mylon S

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were passing through Sioux Falls and needed a place for the night; we selected the Econo Lodge due to its proximity to the Interstate and a breakfast restaurant. We anticipated that a national chain would meet a minimum standard - the Econo Lodge was on the cusp of failure.

They had a vacancy - the king 'suite', which earned its status by virtue of a jacuzzi tub. The room - indeed, perhaps the entire hotel - had once been a smoking establishment, and it was evident from the masking scents to the burn marks in the furniture and carpet. The room was clean, but so worn that it was at times difficult to tell. Overall construction was flimsy - we heard our neighbors clearly even though they were not being particularly noisy. The bed was comfortable, though, which counted for a lot.

Most disconcerting was the absence of any security device on the back door - there was nothing to keep anybody from entering at any hour.

The price seemed high for what we received, especially in comparison to other properties we stayed at on our trip. The Econo Lodge served our purpose for an evening, but we were glad to be moving on after one night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ears20
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Ar $46 per night I still expect a clean room in good working order, but I was sorely disappointed. There was a sticky residue on the table & nightstand, dust on the headboards, hair on the floor in the bathroom, and an overwhelming smell of cleaning chemicals. The bathtub drain plug did not work; the front desk staff said they would come take a look but they never did. A very noisy car wash next door to the building kept us awake and our view out the window was to a pile of old window a/c units and garbage.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank M G
Reviewed 23 July 2014

So we should have driven farther into Sioux Falls but chose to stay here. Dirty and scary seemed to be a low budget industrial area hotel. Room was dirty, the shower curtain was nasty, carpet looked bleached out in several areas. Good price but felt dirty. Was okay for passing through only.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CrisM71
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The people who are giving very poor reviews must be used to a lot fancier hotels. I found all of the front desk people to be very nice and helpful. It is one of the cheapest hotels I've been able to find for trips to Sioux Falls. The last 2 times I stayed there the pool/hot tub was still under repair, but the first time they gave me a 'whirlpool' suite for the same price as a regular room. I wanted to stay on the second floor the next time. The breakfast is decent, your regular 'waffle machine, cold cereal, english muffins, etc' type. I didn't have any issues with either of my rooms, clean and running the air cut out the noise - and the hotel was full the second time. I would definitely stay there again when traveling to Sioux Falls. It is on the very north side of town, but with the interstate a block away the rest of the town is very accessible.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank katherine e
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here after getting on the choice hotel website. I was on hold for 25 mins, and the hallways smelled like cigarettes(even i smoke and couldn't stand it), chairs looked like they had blood stains, curtains looked like they had blood splatter on them. I found hair in the bathroom towels. I never got my company's corporate discount. outside doors were not locked, major safety issue...They need to tear down and rebuild hotel...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank jfisher2014
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have stayed here when it was the comfort inn and it has definately gone downhill since then. The pool was broken, the ice machine was broken, the vending machine was broken and not a maintance person in sight. Just 'out of order' signs. Most of the outside doors were not secured and anyone could just walk in. The bathroom sink did not drain properly and it took forever just to wash up in the morning. I could here people upstairs taking a shower and lost water pressure when that happened. The blankets on the beds were torn in our room and our friends room as well. there was some sort of stain on the carpet in our friends room that no one wanted to walk on. I will never stay in this place again and would NOT recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends