“what a treat”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 28 May 2014

we were traveling through SD, when someone suggested lunch. Well no one really wanted fast food, so Kris looked on the internet for a great burger joint. We were pointed to Bobs Cafe as being the top ten of burger places in America. So we called and got directions, got off the X-way and found it

This was a small place built in the early 1900's and remained the same over the years. There were11 seats at the counter and 2 spaces at a table. Very 50's look. I sat next to a friendly lady who said she had been coming here all her life and loved it. She suggested the broached chicken. So we all ordered .Three got the burgers and I got the chicken. Wow. the chicken was outstanding, and all said the burgers were well worth the long side trip

So if you're in the Sioux Falls area, drop in, I guarantee you'll like it.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Living in Sioux Falls for 30 years, I've certainly heard about Bob's and always intended to visit but just never did. Recently, though, I made visit number 1 for takeout. I really did want to like it since it is unique and almost iconic with the tiny dining area, specialized menu, and huge reputation. Sadly, though, my takeout ribs and pulled pork were somewhat mediocre and don't really engender a hankering to return. My accompanying potato wedges were fabulous and the small serving of baked beans was quite good, but, alas, the main courses were somewhat average. They were very busy and maybe that had something to do with it, but I have to say I'm unlikely to make a return visit any time soon.

1  Thank BrianK609
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I really don't know how this place could stay in business or why it's rated so highly. I tried this place 3 times, ordering different items and was disappointed with all of them as well as the service.

1st visit:
I ordered a regular veggie omelet that runs about 5 dollars and a small orange juice. The omelet was fine, pretty average quality, good portion size - I couldn't finish all of it. The guy at the counter also gave a large milk instead of small orange Juice. I got his attention and said that I had actually ordered a small orange juice not milk, so he gave me a large orange juice this time. When getting my bill, it was a little under 14 dollars. I was kind of surprised and asked for a more detail bill. The same guy I had been dealing with the whole time said they don't do that and asked what questions I had. I explained to him my bill and he said "yes you ordered all the veggies which is a .75 cents for each extra veggie with the omelet and said you wanted wheat toast which is a dollar. " he also charged me for the large orange juice and large milk, both of which I didn't order. I explained how it's a VEGGIE omelet that said came with the veggies and toast so I didn't think I had to pay extra because then it would just be ordering eggs with veggies in it in the shape of an omelet. He got angry and said "what do you want me to do? You ate half the omelet and the toast." Um what? So I told him I didn't want anything, just to know what was charged and now I know so I'll be on my way. He actually sighed at me Then ran to his cash register and pulled out a 5 dollar bill, slammed it on the counter and walked away. So I ended up paying 9 dollars still. Not impressed.

2nd visit:

Time for redemption. My friend really wanted chicken and we were nearby so we stopped by. I ordered California burger and it was nothing special. About a level up from mcdonalds. I also only got one slice of pickle with it and an onion slice- was afraid to ask for a tomatoes because of being charged extra.

3rd and last:
Couple friends and I ordered delivery. They said it would be an hour, we waited an hour and a half. None of the baskets that we paid for came with fries and everything was cold and soggy. I ordered the chicken and beef vegetable soup.
The chicken was cold but Pretty good, nothing special but tasty. The soup was basically just broth. The only vegetables I saw in the soup was corn and green beans and not one piece of beef. The broth was also odd tasting, nothing I've had before and not good at all. I took a couple bites and threw it away, it was like old socks.

Again, I have no idea how this place is still in business or rated so highly. The people who rated this highly needs to get out more, I promise there's better out there for the same price.

1  Thank Limabean1116
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Bob's Burgers was recommended by a friend and I can see why. I had the pulled pork sandwich - it was very good for a reasonable price. There's not much seating space, but they seem to have a steady carry-out business.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Super friendly folks serving up huge plates of food for just a few bucks. My friend and I came hungry, so ordered their "Hungry man" breakfast for $8. For that money I oft two eggs, big slices of bacon, hash browns and three pancakes the size of dinner plates. My friend cancelled his pancakes when mine came off the grill. It was obvious that we wouldn't need them.

Their were only 12 seats or so in the whole place and the manager/ waiter had to be reminded about the toast several time, but still..towns like Sioux Falls are often full of mediocre chains, so this place gets My highest marks for authenticity and value. It's also he only place to ever ask me, " How do you want your bacon: limp or crispy."

Loved it, but not a place to take the Mrs for her birthday. Go for breakfast by yourself with a newspaper and meet the locals.