“Stop over”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Kearney, Nebraska
“Stop over”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We where traveling from Colorado Springs, CO to Dickinson, ND. The weather turned bad so we did not make very good timing. I went on line and found this motel to be very reasonable. It was also a very clean and pleasant
place to spend the night. I will defiantly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

days04293, General Manager at Days Inn Spearfish, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your review! I'm glad we were able to accommodate you when the weather started acting up -- that happens up here in the Black Hills! Again, thank you for your kind words about our hotel, as we work very hard to make sure it is up to standards. We'll see you on your next trip through!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Layton
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We made our reservations w/ no knowledge of what to expect - I have a phobia of hotels, motels and the like. Although we were in a pet room, it was VERY clean and nice. Nothing about it was "nasty", we were on the freeway side and it was very quiet. The location was easy for us to find our way around. Kudos to staff Becky in particular, she was very helpful, accommodating, friendly and what more can we say? THANK YOU! on the way home we stayed at Days Inn at Rock Springs WY, what a dive! Room was G R O S S! Overkill on perfume sent my husband into an asthma attack. Sheets on bed didn't fit and kept coming off. Bathrm had black mold on ceiling and walls, tub was really dirty, mirror was dirty w/ fingerprints splatters and it was just a horrible experience. If it wasn't for the blizzard we would NOT of stayed. Oh should I mention the first rm. the toilet overflowed so we were given the above rm. which was a suite? We will NEVER go there again. Health department should close it down!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

days04293, General Manager at Days Inn Spearfish, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words! I'm so glad you found our hotel to be a clean, pleasant place as we work very hard to keep it that way. I will pass your compliments along to Becky and the rest of my staff. Your feedback is very much appreciated! I apologize for your experience at another Days Inn; all hotels are held in franchise and are all different in their own way. Please feel free to stay with us again on your next trip through the Black Hills!
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed at this motel for 5 days. When we checked in the person at front desk was very helpful and nice. We were given 2 connecting rooms on ground floor. The rooms were nice and clean, and room husband and son stayed in was an upgraded room that was much larger and had a nice large TV. Beds were comfortable and we all had a good nights sleep. The breakfast offered was basically a joke as consisted of a crock pot of cooked oatmeal, a loaf of bread to make toast and some sad looking fruit. My husband went to do our laundry and washer was fine but dryer did not work, was a sign about setting it on high heat which he did but clothes were not drying so he mentioned it to desk clerk who told him to set it on air dry?? That obviously didn't work either so he ended up bagging up clothes and going to a laundromat in town.
HOWEVER, this turned out to be the least of our problems. We had checked in on a Thursday but for whatever reasons had not turned on TV in second room until Saturday afternoon. It did not work---not even the remote! We immediately called down to the front desk to report this! A maintenance man and a young gal came down to check out the problem. Once we got the remote to work simply by removing batteries and reinserting them we could turn on the TV but only got sound but no picture. It was my husband who noticed a mark on lower right side of screen. The maintenance man commented on how easy it was to damage these flat screen TVs and also that he would check if there was another one in storage. After about an hour of not hearing back from anyone I called the desk to find out about situation. Because he had thought we were not overly concerned about having second TV the maintenance man had left for the day. At this point truly wasn't a big issue as did have the (bigger) TV in connecting room. The next morning front desk called and said there was no other TV available but they could move us to other rooms---either connecting ones on second floor or another room on first floor that would not be connecting. I should mention that twice I was thanked by staff for my patience and understanding!! As to moving to different room(s), we figured it was not worth the hassle to move all our stuff seeing as we did have a working TV in the other room. SO--this was Saturday when we reported the issue and we did not check out until Tuesday am. That gave management 2 &1/2 days to contact us about this issue--not to mention checkout. Tuesday am there were bills under both doors and they were only for the amount of our rooms. Crazy us---we were even a bit surprised that no discount was given due to the one TV not working!! We did not question it though as just wanted to get started on our almost 1900 mile trip home (we had gone to Spearfish for daughter's graduation).
We get home and I am going through receipts and verifying charges on credit card. The pending charges were higher than amount I had in receipts so I called credit card company only to find out the bill for our stay at Spearfish Days Inn was $260 more than receipt I had. I immediately called Days Inn and at first person who answered phone tried to claim she had no knowledge of reason for this but it was obvious from her tone of voice that she was not being honest or straight forward with me. She did then acknowledge it had to do with TV and that we should have received a letter. She said I would have to speak with general manager who would be in at 10am next day, and that she would leave a note requesting she call me. I ended up having to call Days Inn the next day and spoke with Stephanie the GM. She claimed she would speak with the owners and get back to me no later than Thursday 12/26. I have yet to hear from her!! We did receive a letter from her stating they had added the cost of TV to our credit card---(which came on Christmas Eve!!). Stephanie, in letter and during our one (and only) conversation that checking that TVs are working is one of the things on checklist for housekeepers to complete any time they clean rooms. I sure would like to know how someone checked status of TV without a working remote!!! It was not checked on Friday or Saturday while we were there as the only housekeeping we requested was clean towels and trash removal.
My biggest issue though is WE DID NOT IN ANY WAY damage said TV--in fact from where the TV was evidently hit it would have been hard to do because of position of TV. We reported that the TV was not working BUT again we did not in any way damage said TV. I resent being accused of something we did not do almost as much as I resent them trying to make us pay for damages we did not cause. Plus I have a huge problem with the fact that Stephanie waited until we had left to inform us by mail of the bogus charge. As stated previously, there was more than ample time for this to be addressed with us in person.
Every other member of the staff we dealt with was pleasant, professional and helpful. Stephanie the GM--not so much. I have stayed in many, many, many motels/hotels and have never ever encountered a situation like this, not once have we ever had any kind of false charges added to our account.
Again, I want to state absolutely that we did not in any way damage said TV---all we did was report that it was not working!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Shari D
days04293, General Manager at Days Inn Spearfish, responded to this review, 23 October 2014
I never have and I never will charge a guest for damage that I do not have documented. Your TV worked for 3 days that you were in the room. All of a sudden the 4th night it didn't and when the maintenance man looked at the TV there was a hole in the screen? I don't think that it was broke maliciously I think it was an accident. That is why I didn't charge you in the end but I wish you would have just told me what had happened.
Yellowstone National Park
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Thank you! It was a late night when we arrived and an early morning when we left...you did fine for what we needed. The biggest and greatest thing you offered was a room for our dog:)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

days04293, General Manager at Days Inn Spearfish, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We keep the front desk staffed 24-hours so guests may come and go at their convenience. I'm happy that you were able to stay at our hotel and that we met your expectations! Please come back again soon!