“Great Location and good value”

Travelodge Spearfish
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Fountain Hills, Arizona
“Great Location and good value”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Very close to Spearfish Canyon, I-94 and Black Hills State Univ. rooms were clean and large. Mattresses were pillowtop and way too soft. Air conditioner was situated right adjacent to small table and when air was blowing--it was uncomfortable to sit at the table.

Wooden staircase to second floor and hallways were noisy with footsteps. I used earplugs to
keep out the noise. Continental breakfast was average.

Price was $65 which I considered good value for mid September.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Montana
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I was traveling with my wife, son and my parents(age 80 and 78). When I checked in I tried to get a senior citizen discount for my parents room and the desk clerk informed me the card was already ran and she couldn’t change the charge. Said I needed to inform them of that at reservation time. This was kind of hard for me to believe. The front desk was very cluttered and laundry everywhere.

The pool and hot tub was nice and the rooms were satisfactory. For the price I would recommend finding another hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We spent only one night here on our drive out to Montana, so we weren't looking for anything fancy (or expensive). Apparently they had something going on in Spearfish (it was a Saturday, which is never a good night to get a hotel anyway), so they jacked up the prices and other hotels were booked. (We would have preferred to stay at the Howard Johnson, but they were booked-though we haven't been there in five years, so I'm not sure if it's still the same).

In all, the hotel was okay. The location is excellent if you're driving I-90; it's literally right off the interstate, so a perfect stopover place on your way to somewhere else. The place needs some updating (which is not a big deal), but it was decently clean and provided a free contenental breakfast in the lobby. They had a pool, but I personally wouldn't use it (but then I'm kind of a freak when it comes to cleanliness; it probably just needed to be re-cemented or whatever they coat pools and pool decks with. There looked to be a lot of rust (or something orange-red) around the pool edges). No elevator, but there are only two floors so it's not that big of a deal. It was quiet so we were able to get a decent night's sleep before another day of driving, so in all it was fine.

Spearfish, however, is a nice little town to stay in if you want to be a little ways from all the touristy spots in Deadwood or the Black Hills area. There is a wonderful restaurant/cafe right in the downtown called the Bay Leaf Cafe; we've had dinner there both times we've been in Spearfish and I totally recommend it. They have a nice wine list (with a very good pinot noir, by the way), and very good pasta. The artwork on the walls and the pianist playing during dinner reminded me of some of the cafes in Chicago...so if you're staying in one of the multiple hotels near the interstate, skip the pizza and "family restaurant" joints nearby and drive into the town to eat here (it's on Hudson street-easy to find). You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you can't do the stairs make sure you request a room on the first fl...
Belvidere, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This hotel was convenient, but way overpriced. The room was $93, but should've been around $60. The hotel clerk was barefoot & watching cartoon network when we arrived. She was polite though. The room was clean, but needed updating. The breakfast was okay - cereal, oatmeal, boiled eggs, bisquits & sausage gravy, etc. The coffee was probably the best that I had since arriving in South Dakota (yes, I am a coffee snob. I love Starbucks!). Anyway, our plans were to hike Spearfish Canyon and we thought this would be the area to stay. Little did we know that there is a beautiful lodge down in the canyon. Regardless of price, we would've definitely preferred to stay there as it was lovely! And the location was perfect for our itinerary. Too late tho. We would not stay here again even though the banner out front said that it was a Tripadvisor Critic's Choice hotel. Uh huh. Sure it was.

Room Tip: We were told that they don't have suites, so don't bother asking. Go figure.
Godfrey, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2012

An expensive place to sleep. Had I not been riding my motorcycle in the rain for several hours I would have passed on by. This place was $50 cheaper than the Super 8! The rooms need upgraded for the fee charged.

Colleen was super sweet at check in. Very helpful and pleasant.

As for the complimentary breakfast, worst coffee I've ever had in my life. The biscuits were cold, the gravy tasted as though there was a salt block inside the Crockpot. The only eggs were ice cold hard boiled. I would prefer no breakfast and a lower price. I really wished we had kept riding down the road for something else.

• Stayed July 2012
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We found the staff to be very friendly & helpful. I would have to agree that the decor in the rooms have seen better days, the small chair beside the bed was heavily soiled.
The fridge had been unplugged and was full of water, bathroom was also in need of some updating. BUT the beds are SO SO comfortable, pillows soft & smelled clean.
Got a great nights sleep! The free breakfast was nice but if there is biscuits & gravy..stay away..bleh!

Corinth, Mississippi
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My husband & I were traveling cross country via motorcycle for 2 weeks. We had booked all our motels in advance after carefully reading reviews on Tripadvisor. This was not one of the motels we had originally reserved. We had reserved a cheaper place in Spearfish Ihad found outside of Tripadvisor reviews. However upon our arrival it was not up to our standards. We wanted something a bit nicer particularly since it was my husband's birthday and we were very weary from traveling.The manager allowed us to be released from our reservation and we set out to find another place to stay. As it was beginning to sprinkle, we just pulled into Rodeway and went in to check availability. The price was considerably higher than the other we had reserved, but the clerk was very friendly and the lobby looked nice so we decided to stay. We found the rooms to be clean and well decorated. The clerk was very helpful in providing us with answers to our questions and told us we could park our trailer out front while we went out to shop and eat. The motel is conveniently located to shipping and places to eat. Better than most breakfast bar the next morning. Rooms quiet and confortable. Sometimes it just pays to pay more.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple