“The hills have eyes”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Spearfish KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Spearfish
Spearfish KOA
Cloquet, Minnesota
“The hills have eyes”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Beware of the maintenance man / owner / watcher of the grounds........what ever he is........he drives a dirty white golfcart. This place is like no other KOA facility I have ever experienced...... I asked him if he was a security guard because of his weird stares and glares from across the campsites which made me feel like I was in a prison camp or something........ and he said "no.......I run this place" I will never ever consider spearfish KOA.
This KOA is outdated in many ways.....laundry room, restroom and dude that "runs this place".

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank hambone11111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

My family just stayed 3 nights at the Spearfish KOA, and I'm happy to report that we saw no traces of the behavior previous posters have reported from the campground hosts. In fact, it was quite the opposite. Upon our arrival, the guy came over and greeted us, pointed out several things in the area to do aside from the obvious attractions, and even brought us his own personal fire ring with a large stack of firewood to use free of charge.

The campground was a great place to make our home base for exploring Devil's Tower, Sturgis, Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, the DC Booth Fish Hatchery, Spearfish Canyon and more. We were just minutes off of I-90 while still being secluded and quiet. There was a good Mexican restaurant within walking distance, and we were within a few minutes' driving distance of several other places.

We had a large pull-through site with plenty of space between us and the neighbors, and plenty of space for an extra car to park. We had a nice, big shade tree and a picnic table, but no fire ring. Only a few of the spaces had fire rings, I suspect because the winds are very high and often there are fire restrictions. The bathrooms were clean and had plenty of hot water. The laundry facilities were a bit overpriced, but nice to have the option after being on the road for several days. The pool was nice, clean and warm.

Overall, we had a great stay and thought this was a great place to base ourselves to explore all that the area has to offer. We thought the grounds were nice and the staff were friendly. If out this way again, we'll definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank grateful_travels
Astoria, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

My husband has stayed at this campground three separate times, and raves about their kindness...I did see the owner get a little upset, because a group lied to him about there number of people in a cabin. I honestly think there is more to the negative reviews than these other people wrote.I saw him provide his personal fire pit for a group next to us. The facilities were a bit old,and the shower curtains where ready to be replaced...but it was very clean, and the cleaning lady was very polite. We stayed in a cabin, and they provided a heater. There is NO A/C unit in the cabins..i wouldn't recommend them for the summer. The grounds where very clean. The playground was lacking..definitely needed a few more play items. There was only a slide and a few swings. The location is awesome! There is a great water park close by along with grocery stores, playgrounds, and other activities.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Just spent three nights tent-camping at the packed Spearfish KOA. Take the negative comments with a grain of salt. Positives - Shade tree at every campsite. On-site restaurant with deck overlooking the campground. Perfect for your early-morning breakfast, paper and coffee. ($7.50 for biscuits & gravy, side of bacon and coffee w/fresh 1/2 & 1/2). Nice dinner menu and they will deliver to your campsite if you're too lazy to take the short walk. Mexican restaurant a block walk away. Helpful and pleasant employees. Super-easy I-90 access. Short (less than two miles) easy drive into Spearfish to nice Safeway. Plenty of camping supplies. Plenty of hot water in men's showers. Nice laundry facilities. Negatives - Just adequate bathroom and shower facilities. The building is old and could use a remodel, But everything works. I plan to stay here again next August...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Larry S
Billings, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at this koa last weekend. There was no water for several hours the first morning. When the water was fixed around 9am we attempted to shower. We were told we needed to wait about 20 minutes so they could clean even though the sign states that the restrooms are closed for cleaning every day at 10am. We were already running late due to the water being out until 9 so we gave up on a shower for the day. It seemed weird that they close the restrooms for cleaning at 10 when checkout is 11. Poor scheduling! That evening we were returning to the campground after a meal in town. There was a large group of people walking in the middle of the road so we drove through an empty campsite to get to our site rather than make the whole group move over for us. Before we could exit our car and enter our camper, the male owner came speeding up to our site in a golf cart. He yelled at us, stating we had been " speeding and tearing around the campground and almost hitting children". We tried to explain that we had not been speeding but that we had pulled through a site to avoid having a large group of people move off the road. He would not listen and continued to yell. He seemed to have no control over his emotions. He finally left and we entered our camper. Before we could even be seated in our camper there was pounding on our camper door. Not knocking, but pounding! It was the female owner of the campground and she immediately began yelling at us. She restated the things her husband had said and also claimed that our children had been rude and talked back to her husband. We were incredulous. We had one 16 yr old child with us who had been silent the entire time we had been witnessing both owners have their emotional meltdowns. Not only did they fabricate the speeding and the children we had almost mowed down, now they were creating a false scenario of our interaction with the husband. We attempted to apologize for driving through an empty site to get to our site and again tried to explain that we had been attempting to avoid inconveniencing the pedestrian group that was out for a walk. The female owner would not listen. A friend who lives in the area had dropped by our site to visit and the owner demanded we move her car and stated she was going to call the sheriff and have us thrown out if we said one more word. Then she jumped back in her automobile and raced away from our site faster than I have ever observed anyone else drive in a campground before. The entire encounter was surreal. I have never encountered such horrible customer service in my life. Frankly the owners seem mentally unstable. There were dogs barking throughout both nights, the shower area is dated and minimally clean, shower curtains are cut in half (I assume in an attempt to save money), lawn areas are dry, shade is mediocre and quiet hours are not enforced. However, we had been willing to overlook those negatives until we encountered the scary owners. This place is unlike any koa I have stayed at before. Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Go to spearfish city campground or Chris's campground.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Bunnarabbit66
Hammond, Montana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

The manager was extremely rude! I have never been treated so badly. They want your money and don't care if you are happy with your stay. She kept saying well you got a 20% discount on your rate online. I think she was upset we got a good rate, it wasn't worth what we paid!
Water went off and we couldn't take a shower. Finally the water was restored, we went to take a shower and they were cleaning the restrooms. The sign on the door stated closed for cleaning at 10:00 AM everyday, it was 9 AM.
The grass was all brown, the grounds were not clean, the roads were poorly marked.
We'll never stay here again, and advise you not to stay here ever.

Room Tip: The Spearfish Campground is a great place to stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank 42Debbie
Poughquag, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We have our own motorhome. We were quoted $47.53 a night on the phone for 3 adults. We get here, the price was 48.25 for the weekday and 50 and change for the weekend. Plus an additional charge of $5.50 a day for my son in a wheelchair. There are NO camping supplies whatsoever. The place is flat, dusty, hot. The owners don't really care as long as they have your money. They a just a shade below what passes for a KOA. Yet, they have 5 Presidents awards! What is a president award anyway? Sorry I wasted my money here. Will never do it again, and I advise you not to either,

Room Tip: Skip this place
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family