“New hotel with serious issues...remember to bring a plunger!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Spearfish

Hampton Inn Spearfish
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
South Dakota
“New hotel with serious issues...remember to bring a plunger!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2008

Upon booking our last trip we decided to try the Comfort Suites. We frequent Spearfish and thought we would give it a try, since it was new. We also had other family staying at this same hotel and bumped into friends by chance. This hotel has several issues. First of all, driving a large enclosed trailer down their steep icy driveway made us wonder if we were going to stop or drive right into the building. We mentioned the ice to the front desk and nothing was ever done. It was a one car up and one car down entry and exit to avoid hitting anything or anyone...dangerous. Our next bit of advice is to BRING A PLUNGER! Their toilets are horrible! Ours was plunged twice and our family had issues three times. When the toilets got plugged upon going to the front desk we would be told...."I don't know where the plungers are...I'll let you know when one has been brought back." In the mean time, we had no toilet to use and upon tracking one down they'd hand it off and we unplugged our toilets...nasty. We laughed when we would see the gal at the front desk with one in her hand waiting for the elevator. They even called our room and tracked down the plunger we had telling us they needed it for the 2nd floor...issues?? I think so! Next ...we had some snowmobile bibs to launder and when we went to the laundry on 2nd floor it smelled so strong of sulfer that my sisters husband filled a bucket and poured it down to open the drain so we could stand to be in there. The sulfer smell resinated though the whole 2nd floor where our friends were staying and complaining about the odor too. Serious pipe issues at this hotel. Not to mention the little pipe sticking out of the floor in the foyer area with a caution sign around it...don't know what that was...poor construction? Now about their management and staff. Poor management, staff horrible except for an older lady who was the only one we encountered that seemed to care. The morning breakfast was thrown together...there was a red headed gal who was just plain rude to everyone. My husband asked for a refill on the plastic spoons to which she sighed and slammed her phone down on the counter. My husband wondered if he was inconveniencing her. No clean tables were to be found...a man was holding his baby and trying to get orange juice and she rudely said, "That's empty you're just going to have to wait a few minutes." Then she put her coat on...my husband watched her and said, " I'll bet she's going out to smoke a cigarette and make everyone else wait for her." Sure enough he followed her out and she was having a cigarette during the busy breakfast time with no clean tables and people waiting for service. On to the pool area. The pool was small and the kids commented on the slide that felt like it was going to fall over when they went down...not to mention the noise it made when someone was going down. Initially we let our kids go down until our friends questioned the construction and we told them it didn't seem safe. I hope they have it inspected, it sure gave us concern. The computers were also down most of the time we were there and it was an inconvenience to us, since we plan our snowmobiling around trail conditions and northern hills weather. Our advice is unless your a plumber and enjoy that sort of thing...stay somewhere else!!!!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything...probably the toilets and staff.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank chattime
luckyone109, Manager at Hampton Inn Spearfish, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the poor service you received during your stay. Your experience is not the quality of service that we have promised to provide to our guests. Our promise is something that we strive to deliver to every guest every day. There is no excuse that our staff did not fulfill that promise in your case. Please accept our apologies. I hope that you will give us the the opporutnity to serve you on your next visit to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Colorado USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2008

I booked this hotel directly from the website, using a special deal for $70 a night. I was very impressed at first at how new and modern the facilities were. There were two computers and a printer in the lobby, along with a big screen TV. The breakfast area was light, spacious and clean. The food being offered for breakfast was average: cereal, bagels, cream cheese, jam, toasts, waffel (pour your own waffle mix into a waffle maker), yogurt, coffee, juice, milk, etc. The room was a King standard suite, with a separate sitting area and a small microwave/fridge combo. The bed was comfortable with soft smooth sheets, but the pillows were these terribly limp small squares. For entertainment there was a brand new plasma HD TV, plus free high-speed wifi Internet. Overall I was OK with the quality of the room and amenities. Now on to the bad part: I found the service to be lacking from the moment I checked in. The front service staff was not friendly and seemed annoyed when I had a problem with the room key. Later on that night I found a small field mouse (yes you read right, a mouse!) scurrying along the bathroom floor. When I complained, the front desk staff (a different person this time) was not helpful at all, didn't even offer a room switch. To be honest I doubt the hotel had a mouse infestation, more than likely the little rodent slipped underneath the door because of a larger-than-usual opening under the door. I ended up covering that opening with packing tape. In summary, this hotel has great potential, especially for business travellers, but right now it seems to be poorly managed.

• Liked — New, modern amenities and facility
  • Disliked — Poor service
  • Stayed January 2008
2 Thank globalbutterfly
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you were dissapointed with the beahavior and lack of concern regarding your situation. I assure you that we have discussed the issues with all staff members and assure you that the correct changes have been made to prevent issues in the future. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you on your next visit to the area. I assure you that we will provide you with the very best.
White_Excalibur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2007

First of all I will start out with the better part of the stay; The room was one of the cheapest in town over Christmas '07. The rooms that we got for $62 was a great price, two bedroom a pullout bed from the couch, and nice TV. The Hotel has free Internet and a pool and Slide.

now for the stupidness that became this Hotel. We first arrived around 9pm to pickup the room keys, another of our party had already checked in, we sat there at the counter listening to a redhead talk to her "boss." This conversation went on for upward to 15 minutes while we were just hanging out. After she decided to stop talking we got our keys and up to the room it took the lady 1 minute to help us. Next the the pillows there are just like a marshmellow and if you like pillows to look big then deflate when touched then this is a Pro rather than con. The last thing is the "free internet" i told you about was up and running one of the three days we were there. The second night we stayed we tried to get the internet just the night before and nothing happened. I called the front desk which told it was my problem, it wasn't. I tried again the next day, nope.... I tried again that next night when the same guy was on duty, and nothing; however he said that appenently it had been this afternoon... I am not sure where he got this from, but yeah. I tired on out last morning still nothing, so I told the front desk again, they said, "oh yeah it hasne't been working..."

The last thing I thought was also funny is that there was a snow storm in the area and there might have been 10 cars, so 10 rooms being occupied... Aparently people know this Hotel is crappy, I wish they told me. Sweet Comfort suites Thanks for the stay because I won't be coming back.

• Liked — The Value that weekend was Great!
  • Disliked — The Service and seemed like a soft opening.... didn't know what was going on.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank White_Excalibur
luckyone109, Manager at Hampton Inn Spearfish, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you for takin the time to write a review. I am truly sorry that we failed to provide you with the best service. As a consumer, I know how i expect to be treated. I am again truly sorry and hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you on your next visit.
Rochester, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Comfort Suites in Spearfish for two nights during a September trip to the Black Hills. We were both extremely impressed with the quality of the furnishings, the room size, and the bedding. We've stayed at hotels that were twice the price, but not nearly as nice as this property. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Liked — It's a very nice hotel at a reasonable price.
  • Disliked — One desk person was not very friendly, but she was an exception.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaisyMN
Thank you for writing a review and we appreciate your business. We hope to see you on your next visit to the area.
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2007

This hotel was VERY nice. The rooms were clean and large.

It is a new hotel.

There was juice & coffee in the lobby the entire time we were there.

The front desk person was quick and very nice.

Although the price was more than we usually pay for just passing through, we were happy.

• Liked — Clean, Clean, Clean
  • Disliked — Pricey, but still decent value
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank SalemsFortress
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you on your next visit to the area.