“very nice”

Hampton Inn Spearfish
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Reviewed 4 September 2008

Very nice motel with friendly staff. Only problem was pool had wrong chemical mix and turned black swim trunks brown. Rooms were spacious and clean. beds were very comftorable. would recommend this place to anyone wanting a comftorable nights rest.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
luckyone109, Manager at Hampton Inn Spearfish, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hoep to see you on your next visit to the area.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Spearfish

Reviewed 2 August 2008

I was a little scared after reading the previous reviews, but I ended up really enjoying this place. I thought we got a good deal for what we paid ($120-ish). The suite was quite large, with a separate sitting area. They have tried to address the door gap issue by adding some additional weather-strip stuff. I agree it'd be nice if the door just filled in the space better, but we didn't have any problems with bugs, rodents, or noise. As for the toilets, they are pretty standard low-flow ones that save water. The difference seems to be that they lack the power-assist that most places have now. Still, as long as you're not going crazy in there, you won't have any problems. The room was very clean, with the exception of a lone Dorito under the bed. The rest of the room, though, seemed impeccable. My overall impression of the place was that it was quiet, peaceful, serene, and clean. I'd love to go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 22 June 2008

We experienced none of the negatives I've read about here. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was nothing fancy, but adequate.

It was a bit noisy as people made their way to the lobby in the AM for breakfast. A large fan, the ice maker or something in the laundry area also made a lot of noise.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 25 April 2008

Supposely this is a new hotel in the area. From the outside it is. But if you plan on staying please make sure that you purchase a plunger and toilet paper at the local Wal-Mart across the street prior to checking in. The sewage situation in this hotel is terrible, and the management and staff are just as bad. The hotel staff seemed to have an issue when we called down to explain the toilet situation. Then later that day they were really upset when we asked for another roll of paper. The management actually had enough gull to say that I was costing him money using so much paper.
Please spare yourself the agoney and stay across the street at the Quality Inn for you choice members.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank lbhookingatyou

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We have reviewed the issues you had and made the appropriate changes to make sure it doesn't happen again. I am again truly sorry that we failed to provide you with the very best. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you on your next visit to out area. I assure you that we will provide you with our very best on your return visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2008

This hotel is fairly new, and my stay here was fine. The room was large, but it really isn't a suite, just a large bedroom with a workdesk and sitting area.

On this trip I had also stayed a Springhill Suites hotel and an Embassy Suites hotel, and this hotel is nowhere near their class in furnishings, decor, or breakfast - but then this hotel is also cheaper, so I guess you get what you pay for. It was completely adequate.

One reviewer mentioned that there is a large gap at the bottom of the doors for the rooms. That's certainly true, and what that means is that you can hear everyone talking in the hallway or, in my case, the lobby since I was given a room adjacent to the lobby. Fortunately I wasn't planning on sleeping in, because after about 6:30 AM that would have been impossible. That's the time when people started coming down for breakfast in the lobby, and I could hear everything they said. In addition, the TV in the lobby was also on at full volume after 6:30 AM. If you are a light sleeper, I'd suggest getting a room on the second floor.

This hotel is right next to three other chain hotels, so you can shop around if you want to before you decide where to stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 February 2008

A simple weekend trip to the beautiful black hills for a surprise birthday party for a family friend and a day of skiing @ Terry Peak was the plan. The unexpected blessing was the phenomenal accommodations we encountered when we arrived on Friday evening. With over 20 people involved in the surprise birthday celebration, the hotel owners and staff were extremely generous in turning over their lobby and buffet area for two nights of food, fun and fellowship.
Having read the previous travelers tales of bad service and less than quality amenities, I have to strongly emphasize the opposite reaction. No plugged toliets, nice sized pillows, no rude desk clerks, no rodent issues - just great beds, a fun pool area for the kids to play, ample breakfast items, internet that actually worked, and a great environment to relax and enjoy the beautiful black hills. I will highly recommend this property to all my ski club friends as well as the 300 employees that work for me and are looking for a great vacation get-away. Wow. Keep up the good work and save me a spot - I might just be out to the black hills again real soon.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hope to serve you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 16 January 2008

Upon booking our last trip we decided to try the Comfort Suites. We frequent Spearfish and thought we would give it a try, since it was new. We also had other family staying at this same hotel and bumped into friends by chance. This hotel has several issues. First of all, driving a large enclosed trailer down their steep icy driveway made us wonder if we were going to stop or drive right into the building. We mentioned the ice to the front desk and nothing was ever done. It was a one car up and one car down entry and exit to avoid hitting anything or anyone...dangerous. Our next bit of advice is to BRING A PLUNGER! Their toilets are horrible! Ours was plunged twice and our family had issues three times. When the toilets got plugged upon going to the front desk we would be told...."I don't know where the plungers are...I'll let you know when one has been brought back." In the mean time, we had no toilet to use and upon tracking one down they'd hand it off and we unplugged our toilets...nasty. We laughed when we would see the gal at the front desk with one in her hand waiting for the elevator. They even called our room and tracked down the plunger we had telling us they needed it for the 2nd floor...issues?? I think so! Next ...we had some snowmobile bibs to launder and when we went to the laundry on 2nd floor it smelled so strong of sulfer that my sisters husband filled a bucket and poured it down to open the drain so we could stand to be in there. The sulfer smell resinated though the whole 2nd floor where our friends were staying and complaining about the odor too. Serious pipe issues at this hotel. Not to mention the little pipe sticking out of the floor in the foyer area with a caution sign around it...don't know what that was...poor construction? Now about their management and staff. Poor management, staff horrible except for an older lady who was the only one we encountered that seemed to care. The morning breakfast was thrown together...there was a red headed gal who was just plain rude to everyone. My husband asked for a refill on the plastic spoons to which she sighed and slammed her phone down on the counter. My husband wondered if he was inconveniencing her. No clean tables were to be found...a man was holding his baby and trying to get orange juice and she rudely said, "That's empty you're just going to have to wait a few minutes." Then she put her coat on...my husband watched her and said, " I'll bet she's going out to smoke a cigarette and make everyone else wait for her." Sure enough he followed her out and she was having a cigarette during the busy breakfast time with no clean tables and people waiting for service. On to the pool area. The pool was small and the kids commented on the slide that felt like it was going to fall over when they went down...not to mention the noise it made when someone was going down. Initially we let our kids go down until our friends questioned the construction and we told them it didn't seem safe. I hope they have it inspected, it sure gave us concern. The computers were also down most of the time we were there and it was an inconvenience to us, since we plan our snowmobiling around trail conditions and northern hills weather. Our advice is unless your a plumber and enjoy that sort of thing...stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank chattime

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I want to take this opportunity to apologize for the poor service you received during your stay. Your experience is not the quality of service that we have promised to provide to our guests. Our promise is something that we strive to deliver to every guest every day. There is no excuse that our staff did not fulfill that promise in your case. Please accept our apologies. I hope that you will give us the the opporutnity to serve you on your next visit to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spearfish
Best Western Black Hills Lodge
Travelodge Spearfish
Travelodge Spearfish
#8 of 14 in Spearfish
Hampton Inn Deadwood at Tin Lizzie Gaming Resort

Been to Hampton Inn Spearfish? Share your experiences!