“Can't complain at all”

Hampton Inn Spearfish
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Reviewed 16 September 2008

This is a nice newer motel. The lobby area is nice, the continental breakfast was good also.

I really like the room and the way it was arranged. The beds were comfortable. Love the big TV. We didn't have any toilet issues thank goodness.

The only thing that comes to mind is the smell in the hallways. Kinda smelled like a hospital or something. But, nothing real serious.

I would say this is one of the best places to stay in Spearfish.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
luckyone109, Manager at Hampton Inn Spearfish, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 4 September 2008

Very nice motel with friendly staff. Only problem was pool had wrong chemical mix and turned black swim trunks brown. Rooms were spacious and clean. beds were very comftorable. would recommend this place to anyone wanting a comftorable nights rest.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hoep to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 2 August 2008

I was a little scared after reading the previous reviews, but I ended up really enjoying this place. I thought we got a good deal for what we paid ($120-ish). The suite was quite large, with a separate sitting area. They have tried to address the door gap issue by adding some additional weather-strip stuff. I agree it'd be nice if the door just filled in the space better, but we didn't have any problems with bugs, rodents, or noise. As for the toilets, they are pretty standard low-flow ones that save water. The difference seems to be that they lack the power-assist that most places have now. Still, as long as you're not going crazy in there, you won't have any problems. The room was very clean, with the exception of a lone Dorito under the bed. The rest of the room, though, seemed impeccable. My overall impression of the place was that it was quiet, peaceful, serene, and clean. I'd love to go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for writing a review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 22 June 2008

We experienced none of the negatives I've read about here. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was nothing fancy, but adequate.

It was a bit noisy as people made their way to the lobby in the AM for breakfast. A large fan, the ice maker or something in the laundry area also made a lot of noise.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 April 2008

Supposely this is a new hotel in the area. From the outside it is. But if you plan on staying please make sure that you purchase a plunger and toilet paper at the local Wal-Mart across the street prior to checking in. The sewage situation in this hotel is terrible, and the management and staff are just as bad. The hotel staff seemed to have an issue when we called down to explain the toilet situation. Then later that day they were really upset when we asked for another roll of paper. The management actually had enough gull to say that I was costing him money using so much paper.
Please spare yourself the agoney and stay across the street at the Quality Inn for you choice members.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank lbhookingatyou

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We have reviewed the issues you had and made the appropriate changes to make sure it doesn't happen again. I am again truly sorry that we failed to provide you with the very best. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you on your next visit to out area. I assure you that we will provide you with our very best on your return visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2008

This hotel is fairly new, and my stay here was fine. The room was large, but it really isn't a suite, just a large bedroom with a workdesk and sitting area.

On this trip I had also stayed a Springhill Suites hotel and an Embassy Suites hotel, and this hotel is nowhere near their class in furnishings, decor, or breakfast - but then this hotel is also cheaper, so I guess you get what you pay for. It was completely adequate.

One reviewer mentioned that there is a large gap at the bottom of the doors for the rooms. That's certainly true, and what that means is that you can hear everyone talking in the hallway or, in my case, the lobby since I was given a room adjacent to the lobby. Fortunately I wasn't planning on sleeping in, because after about 6:30 AM that would have been impossible. That's the time when people started coming down for breakfast in the lobby, and I could hear everything they said. In addition, the TV in the lobby was also on at full volume after 6:30 AM. If you are a light sleeper, I'd suggest getting a room on the second floor.

This hotel is right next to three other chain hotels, so you can shop around if you want to before you decide where to stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 February 2008

A simple weekend trip to the beautiful black hills for a surprise birthday party for a family friend and a day of skiing @ Terry Peak was the plan. The unexpected blessing was the phenomenal accommodations we encountered when we arrived on Friday evening. With over 20 people involved in the surprise birthday celebration, the hotel owners and staff were extremely generous in turning over their lobby and buffet area for two nights of food, fun and fellowship.
Having read the previous travelers tales of bad service and less than quality amenities, I have to strongly emphasize the opposite reaction. No plugged toliets, nice sized pillows, no rude desk clerks, no rodent issues - just great beds, a fun pool area for the kids to play, ample breakfast items, internet that actually worked, and a great environment to relax and enjoy the beautiful black hills. I will highly recommend this property to all my ski club friends as well as the 300 employees that work for me and are looking for a great vacation get-away. Wow. Keep up the good work and save me a spot - I might just be out to the black hills again real soon.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business and hope to serve you again on your next visit to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Spearfish
Holiday Inn Spearfish - Convention Center
#2 of 25 in Deadwood
Travelodge Spearfish
Travelodge Spearfish
#7 of 14 in Spearfish

Been to Hampton Inn Spearfish? Share your experiences!