“ripoff” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Spearfish
Grand Blanc, Michigan, United States
“ripoff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

booked a room in june for sturgis rally on a monday for $249 a night for 2 nights got conformation on tuesday and was told the rates went up to $300 a night in witch they went into my bank account without authorization and took out $652.with no refunds.then we had 2 wyndam rewards nights.they screwed up the dates and had 2 day in between our 4 night stay with no rooms.it took 5 weeks to straighten out the problem.when it finall got fixed they went back in my bank account and took out another $72 for changing the dates without authorization.then they told us the would send us a $107 gift card for use on our way out there.never recieved it.on top of the rude woman that puts out the hard doughnuts and coffee in the morning.lose the $49 a night attitude when we're paying $300 a night.and the room smelled like burnt dog.grossley over priced and dirty,not only will we never stay there again we will never stay in another travel lodge ever.i'll sleep in a ditch first.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kim K
TL_Spearfish, General Manager at The Crow Peak Lodge, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review here on TripAdvisor, Kim K. We are sorry to hear your stay was not as expected.

Your main claim has to do with the costs during the most expensive time to stay in the Black Hills - the Sturgis Rally. I have investigated your reservation further and found that you had made it through an online travel agency and not directly with our property. Later (but prior to your arrival) you called our hotel to request an upgrade to your room type, requesting a room with 2 beds vs. the 1 bed you had booked online. We found one was available for those dates and clearly explained there would be a difference of $72 for all of your nights prior to making the change. The gentleman who we spoke with agreed to the increase. We wish to reiterate that do not charge guests without their authorization.

The Wyndham Rewards redemption involves the Wyndham Company and not our property (we are a franchisee). While we are aware that guests view all aspects of their stay as a single event, it frequently involves different parties. This is particularly true of the booking process as there are many different agencies we cooperate with. We try to do our best to ensure the process is as seamless as possible, but unless a guest books directly with our property, our influence on the guest booking experience is limited. This $652 withdrawal was not done by our property; all third-party agencies are required to get your permission before making the booking - usually where you agree to the terms and conditions.

When you booked using Wyndham Rewards, I recall we were also on the phone working with you and Wyndham multiple times to ensure the rooms were available during the dates you had requested. In the end, we were successful. The $107 voucher comes directly from Wyndham and we were unaware of that until we saw it in your review.

Actually, using Wyndham Rewards for a stay with us, particularly during the Sturgis Rally, provides an excellent value. For 6000 points, you can get a free night's stay during that peak time. Just under 50% of our guests redeemed Wyndham Rewards points during the rally this year, Many of our returning guests remarked about the excellent value it provided for them to enjoy the rally experience! We are just 20 minutes down the road from Sturgis, we are walking distance from many bars and restaurants in Spearfish (no driving needed), and most rooms allow parking right in front of the room.

I do apologize for the surly attitude of our morning front desk clerk. Regardless if you are paying $300 or $3 per night, our guests should be made to feel welcome here. This is reiterated to our employees on a regular basis. We have reminded that particular employee that her service to our guests is paramount.

Once again, Kim K, we hope next time you are in Spearfish, we can earn your business back. Many guests are happy with their stay here. Booking directly with us and booking early for the Sturgis rally in early August can help avoid the issues you had encountered.

If you have additional information to share about this stay or wish to discuss this with me further, you can email me at gm @ tlspearfish.com.

Christopher Harris
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cabool, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I had booked this room 11 months in advance, using Wyndham Rewards points, and based upon reviews. Upon arriving on July 7th 2012, the Clerk either begrudged me a free room or just didn't want to be bothered, and was very rude when I asked for a copy of our stay, saying that I didn't need one. I explained that I would like something to show that I had stayed, and she huffed and finally made me a copy of our check-in receipt. Breakfast was not until 7 Am, and knowing that we would be gone by then, I asked for a couple of extra coffee bags for our room, and that set her off again, she finally went to the back and came back with 1 coffee bag.

I finally got checked in, and when we got to our room, I pulled the covers down (the 1st thing that I always do), there was black hair on all of the pillows and sheets, so I contacted the clerk and she said that we would have to change rooms, and she couldn't give us a king room, like I had booked. She assigned us a room in a little side building, the bed looked clean, but there were spiders in the tub.

Not a good experience, so when I arrived home, I call Wyndham, and they said my concerns would be forwarded to Spearfish Travelodge, and they would contact me within 3 days, but guess what, no contact. Would not stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank motraveler50
TL_Spearfish, General Manager at The Crow Peak Lodge, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
I can understand how you had looked forward to your stay with us, motraveler50, based on booking your stay 11 months in advance. A vast majority of Wyndham Rewards members redeeming their points at our Travelodge are quite happy with their rooms during their stay. Since only 6000 points are required per night - even during the busy times such as the Sturgis Rally. This low redemption makes our property even more appealing to guests.

We had offered to have a housekeeper come to change the sheets in your old room, but you insisted on a new room immediately, which we tried to accommodate. Unfortunately we did not have another non-smoking king available, so we offered you a room with two queen beds,.

You mentioned nobody contacted you about your room. Less than 30 minutes after your move, I personally called and asked if your new room was satisfactory and you replied that it was. You did not indicate any spiders, any rude behavior by the front desk clerk, nor any issues with receipts or receiving extra coffee. Regarding your specific issues raised in your review, unless you booked your stay through a third-party agency such as Expedia or Travelocity, we are able to provide a receipt for your stay. We are happy to provide extra coffee is available at the front desk during our office hours.

Although I did contact you while you were on our property after your move ,I did hear about your interaction with our front desk clerk from Wyndham. Within two business days, I left a message for you on the phone number you provided, but the call was not returned. Motraveler50, we take all incidents such as this seriously and look at how we can improve when we mess up.

There are two sides to every interaction, but based on your words, I have reminded all of our front desk clerks how to address such situations in the future. We understand most of our travelers have been on the road all day, and just want a comfortable place to rest. It is our goal to provide this to our guests. We hope you will consider giving us another chance next time you are in Spearfish, since we believe you will see that your experience was not typical of most of our guests.

Travellers are raving about these Spearfish hotels

Eagle, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed here two nights. The first night we found that they sold the room I had reserved one month in advance so we were put in another room. Not a problem except the new room was not cleaned very well. The next morning we left them a note regarding the problems; dirty toilet, not vaccuumed, no hand towels, no cups for coffee, not cups for water, no Kleenex. I could go on but you get the idea. So we get back to our room after being out all day and you would think they would have scrubbed it down but no still a dirty toilet, still no Kleenex, still not vaccuumed. REALLY!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
TL_Spearfish, Manager at The Crow Peak Lodge, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for submitting your review on your stay at our property, Japotter. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us your perspective. We apologize that the room you received was not cleaned to your expectations, and I take personal responsibility for that error. In early June of this year, we had a team of new housekeepers all start at once. This is different from our typical staggered hiring approach. That being said, we know our guests expect a certain standard of room service to be maintained, and we have established procedures in place to keep this standard high. We will revisit those standards with our new housekeepers to ensure that all guests are able to return to the clean, comfortable room they expect.

We appreciate this helpful feedback on your stay and hope to continue to earn your business next time you are in Spearfish.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

I stayed here because I was in town to run the Leading Ladies marathon. The room was clean and comfortable. The front desk staff were very friendly---when I had trouble connecting to the wifi, they re-set the modem (upon my suggestion) and it worked! They also were accomodating with a late check out the day of the race and took time to ask how it went. The breakfast selection was pretty varied---donuts, pastries, bagels, cereals, oatmeal. All the carbs I could have wanted! The location was also perfect---near downtown, near the race finish where I had to park in the morning, not too far from town so I could go stock up on gatorade, etc.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review, Charli L. We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about our property. We use this information to improve our property and to continue to do the types of things that our guests appreciate.

We know that our guests come to Spearfish for various reasons; if we know about your needs in advance, we try our best to accommodate them. We are glad that in your case, we could help make your pre- and post-run experience a good one. Our new hot tub is nearly complete, so there will be a great way to relax those muscles after a good run during your next stay.

We welcome you back next time you are in Spearfish. Please don't hesitate to let us know what we can do to make your next stay as good as your stay with us in early May!
Mason City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We had stayed at the Travelodge in 2007 and had a decent stay back then. We found ourselves passing through Spearfish and decided to stay once again. It appears that the rooms have had some improvements since 2007, such as new pillow-top beds and fridge and microwaves in the rooms. I took a photo of our room (room 123). The swimming pool is gone and there is a large open area in its place, which would be nice in summer. The room was clean and quiet, which was important to us. There was a basic breakfast in the morning. A good value for what we paid.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Kansas Street seem very pleasant (rooms 121-125)
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rayman50402
TL_Spearfish, General Manager at The Crow Peak Lodge, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Rayman50402, thank you very much for your review and for staying with us in October. We see that you are one of our repeat customers and we welcome you back. We are happy to read that you observed lots of improvements we have made for the better. We are glad you were able to book one of our south-facing rooms that offer a nice relaxing deck to enjoy. Many of our repeat guests like those rooms, particularly in summer when there is a nice garden to look out upon. Many of our other rooms are booked in advance as well - we offer substantial variety in our rooms, whether they be rooms with vaulted ceilings with ceiling fans, quiet rooms, rooms with a residential feel, etc. Please feel free to contact us at the hotel anytime your travel situation has you coming through Spearfish or the Black Hills.
Emmaus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

The room was somewhat small but quiet, pet-friendly and clean, and in a nice neighborhood. I did think that it was somewhat overpriced for the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, Bern666, for staying with us last month and for your kind review. We are happy to see that you were happy with your stay, mentioned your pleasant room and enjoyed our quiet neighborhood, which is near Spearfish Creek and the biking/pet/jogging trails that flank the creek in town. We do try our best to keep our prices competitive with other hotels with similar offerings in Spearfish. We are continuing to make improvements to our property throughout the winter and spring, so that our guests can have a comfortable stay. We welcome you back anytime you are in Spearfish and wish to have a comfortable room.
Kamiah, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

Enjoyed staying there on 10/5/11. Quiet neighborhood as a location. $51 for double room at the time. Continental breakfast was good. Beds were the most comfortable beds (I think they were pillow-top mattress). Rooms were of good size, however, bathroom was a bit small. Sink area was outside of bathroom. Not alot of restaurants in the immediate area, though, that were open at 8pm upon arrival. Lots of Tv channels.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ParksNRecGuy
We are delighted to read your review of your stay with us, ParksNRecGuy. Early October is a great time to be in the Spearfish area if you want to observe the changing leaves in Spearfish Canyon. We are glad you had a comfortable stay and that the new pillow-top mattresses were comfortable. Yes, some of our double rooms have the bathrooms are a bit smaller with the sink on the outside, but many of our other room types have bathrooms that are larger and self-enclosed. We hope that you will once again choose to stay with the Travelodge next time you are in Spearfish!