“Relaxing weekend with generous hosts”
Review of O'Grady Lodge

O'Grady Lodge
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Spent two nights at O'Grady's over a long weekend. Were looking for a quiet weekend with high quality accommodation. We stayed in an upstairs bedroom with a lovely view of the countryside. Our room was clean and had fantastic spa bath. Paddy and Judy are very generous, friendly and attentive hosts. Judy's food is amazing. Excellent value also - we researched a number of B&Bs just outside of the Auckland area and many offering similar things to O'Grady's were charging $100 more per night if not more. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I only have incredible things to say!! I cannot wait to come back with my wife. I was in town for work and found the O'Gradys. I was greeted by Paddy and Judy who open up their home for the most wonderful B&B experience ever. I have stayed at 20 or so in the US, and this was a dream visit. The property is a gardener's dream, over a decade of love and care on their 10 acre NZ country estate. The entire home and every room are all 5-Start++. I have stayed at 5-Star resorts, and this is to the top. The hot tubs in every room are so nice that I described them as the most expensive, comfortable jacuzzi tubs you can buy. Honestly, the best part of it is Paddy & Judy. I now consider them friends and I really hope to see them again. If you pass this place up, I promise you that you are making a big mistake. It is close to Auckland, and a little piece of heaven in North Island. P.S. - Paddy & Judy are great cooks!! The food was awesome!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Based off the glowing reviews here, I booked 2 nights in November at the O'Grady Lodge. Knowing that the drive from downtown Auckland would be about 35 minutes, I was a little hesitant. However, upon arrival at the lodge, I quickly realized it was one of the best booking decisions I had ever made!

Firstly, the surrounds: beautiful, rolling verdant countryside, an absolute dead ringer for Matamata's Hobbiton. Incredibly peaceful, the wind rustling through trees and the native bird song are pretty much the only noise you'll hear.

Then there's the lodge - a large beautiful Hawaiian style lodge with a magnificent main room and huge deck looking out over the surrounding farmland. The room we stayed in was on the top level (I believe there are 4 rooms that are off to the side of the main lodge). We were the only ones there for the 2 nights. The guest room was large, with its own balcony and a modern bathroom fit for a 5 star hotel. The bed, almost needless to say, was very comfortable.

The hosts - Paddy and Judy, 2 of the nicest, most low key, down-to-earth people I've ever met. One thing I dislike about B&Bs is the requirement to socialize, but Paddy and Judy know when to give you space and time to yourself. At the same time, Paddy's always around to offer snacks and a great conversation, or in the morning, a delicious and lavish breakfast.

In summary, the glowing reviews here are accurate, and don't worry about the distance from Auckland, it's not that bad unless you drive with the morning or evening commute. Do yourself a favor and stay here a few nights.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed at Ogrady Lodge on Jan/Feb 2014. I have to say, I travel a lot for work, and I mean, a lot, probably at least a week or two in average per month, and I've been in way too many places. Ogrady's is the absolute BEST place that I've ever stayed at. It's not just the magnificent beauty of the location and the modern and incredibly good taste decoration of the lodge and the accommodations. But the most important thing to us was the warmth of our hosts. Paddy and Judy are just amazing. They treated us like friends or even family. They make the absolute best breakfast !! I told them the first day that I'm from Mexico, and they were so kind that the next day they had a salt and pepper shakers from Mexico on the table, that was such a nice touch. Judy even left home made fresh baked cookies in our room when we arrived. I totally recommend it. You are only 20 or 30 minutes away from Auckland, but still you are out in the country to enjoy the beauty and quiet surroundings. Very close to the North Shore beaches and also close to the West Coast. I truly want to thank Paddy and Judy for one of the best times that we had in our lives.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Nikau room. Absolutely gorgeous.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

The O'Gradys (Paddy and Judy) magically combine an experience which is all the professionalism of service associated with a top-notch luxury resort, and the warmth and hospitality that is as if you were friends visiting as house guests. Nothing is compromised in the setting, furniture and fixtures of a quality venue that is exquisite - but which nonetheless at the same time has a homely feel that makes relaxing and enjoying the facilities natural.
It was a delightful surprise that such wonderful lodgings were available and so easily accessible right on the doorstep of Auckland, and we will certainly be returning to enjoy this treat again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We were extremely surprised with this stunning lodge! The rooms are large, beautiful and tastefully decorated with a lot of attention to detail such as bathrobes, mini bar, coffee making facilities, flowers, fruit, biscuits, chocolates, etc. The breakfasts are exceptional and tasty, you definitely can't get better.

Paddy even drove our group to a restaurant and picked us up again for which we were really greatful and not to mention the welcome tea and wines and snacks they served!

The only regret was that we spent 1 night, if we had known about this luxury hideaway earlier we would have loved to stay 2 nights.

A precious place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My husband and I have stayed here a couple of times now, and it's the BEST place ever to stay. Love the amazing, huge, comfy bed, so peaceful and quiet, all topped off by a huge spa bath and giant shower!

The breakfast was incredible - yummy and so much to go around! Along with great company, and a beautiful location.

Stay here - you won't regret it!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to O'Grady Lodge? Share your experiences!