“Return visit.”

The Borrowdale Gates Hotel
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Return visit.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

As an eldely gent I am widly travelled,staying in some wonderfull accommodation. On our first visit to Borrowdale Gates there were some items I brought to the attention of the owner. Upon our return we were pleased that that there was nothing short of perfection. The service ,food ,bedroom and quality bedlinen were excellent. What more could you ask?

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Newcastle
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I've never stopped overnight but my wife and I have called in for a mid-walk drink on a number of occasions. Last week we brought family on a walk and stopped here for lunch.
The setting was a very pleasant sunny garden, the service was prompt and polite, the waiter was very helpful.
The food was fine - we just had an assortment of sandwiches and sides - and for six of us the bill was £63 including a round of drinks which, given the ambience of the place, was reasonable.
I would recommend the Borrowdale garden as a most pleasant stopping - off point for those mid-walk refreshments. Unless it's raining!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
CHESHIRE,UK
Reviewed 20 August 2013

What a lovely hotel in the heart of Borrowdale, making the most of the gorgeous views which can be seen everywhere. A truly relaxing place to return to after a day on the fells, with lashings of hot water, comfy beds and the usual tea/coffee facilities. The recent refurbishment has been done to an exceptional standard, to include fabrics in keeping with the country feel of the hotel. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel did have a lot of elderly folk in residence, probably the majority of which have been visiting the hotel for many years. Although I didn't dine at the hotel, I can imagine the atmosphere during dinner being a little 'stiff' as another reviewer pointed out. It was the same during breakfast. Remedied with soft background music maybe, then diners don't feel they need to whisper. However don't let this put you off, the hotel is simply lovely and I will be recommending to all I know, and of course revisiting again very soon.

Room Tip: I had a peek at the superior rooms and they are lovely. I will be upgrading to one of these pretty r...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
scunthorpe
Reviewed 7 August 2013

my wife and I had a three night stay at the Borrowdale Gates Hotel last week along with two friends, it had been recommended by my brother and his wife, we were not disappointed. The staff where friendly and helpful without being overbearing, the rooms have recently been refurbished to a high standard, in fact the room we were in was ideal for me as I am disabled, it had a large wet room with sufficient room to manoeuvre a wheel chair. the food was very good but I feel at £ 39 for a three course it was over priced bit that would be my only criticism

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 301lincolnshirelad
UK
Reviewed 30 July 2013

A return visit with my dog. I love this hotel for its location, dedicated dog friendly rooms on the ground floor, excellent food, etc etc. It claims to be 3* but puts many 4* hotels to shame. Oh, and the staff are all so friendly and helpful. A credit to the owners and staff for not letting standards slip....well done. We will return again!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a dog friendly room - if you have a dog that is! Rooms 7&8 are both excellent...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Essex, UK
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Almost faultless and that star quality of being family run - low key service with a smile and lots of little touches, the food was superb. We (myself and my parents) had initially booked 3 nights but after the first evening we enquire if it might be possible to extend our stay. Fortunately for us 1 further night was possible. The views from the dining room and lounge are lovely - we were blessed with good weather but I could imagine curling up here with a book a spending a very pleasant afternoon. Many walks possible from the hotel which is also within easy reach of the Derwent water launch - maybe a 20/25 minute walk, a 1-circuit rover ticket can be brought from reception, there is also a regular bus service through Borrow dale which people were using to do linear walks. Note - there is a level all weather path around much of Derwent water providing good access for those less mobile or with families. There are too many places to explore and experience to make any recommendations - a walk to Watendlath offers variety and New lands valley offers a quieter destination than Buttermere. I am already contemplating when a return visit would be possible. Whilst the majority of guests were couples, there were also family groups with children from late primary to mid secondary school years. It is somewhere I would be comfortable staying in as a solo traveller or part of a small group. Also, when we discovered on arrival that there was full lift access to my parent's room on the second floor which was a bonus as my father had hurt his back: I believe there is partial lift access to first floor rooms. There are also sound ground floor garden rooms - some of which were suitable for guests travelling with dogs. If you are not looking for organised entertainment and piped music then this is a destination to consider.
The star rating and rates do not reflect the 4star ambience, quality and service. Having recently completed an extensive refurbishment programme I would not be surprised to see a warranted increase in both in a few years time!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pagleshamlass
London
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed here for just one night while on a business trip on my own. The setting is stunning - at the opposite end of Derwent Water to Keswick - and the hotel has made the most of the view with panoramic windows in the lounge and dining room and a tranquil garden looking out on to the fields.

I booked a single room but it was very well equipped with tea and coffee, TV, toiletries etc and had a small double bed. Everything was very clean and the staff were very friendly and efficient.

It became clear in the evening that this is a popular spot with more elderly travellers. I'm 41 but I was by far the youngest of any of the residents. Everybody seemed to stay in the hotel for dinner and the atmosphere was very quiet and a bit serious, only because the guests were old and not talking much! I was glad I hadn't brought my kids with me because unless they had eaten in silence it would have felt awkward.

This may have been unusual, but I suspect not, and in that case I would say this a great hotel for older people with friendly, efficient staff and a great setting. But I wouldn't come back here with my young family.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeabus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grange-in-Borrowdale
The Borrowdale Hotel
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Under Skiddaw

Been to The Borrowdale Gates Hotel? Share your experiences!