“Always a pleasure....”
Review of Sunshine Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wall
Sunshine Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Wall
Reviewed 20 October 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the Sunshine Inn on five different occasions in the past four years. We usuallt stay two or three nights at a time. I believe that fact reflects our opinion. The rooms are clean. The rates are fair, and the owner, John, is the friendliest and most informative person in town. We spend a lot of time in the Badlands, and wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else in town.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FredPatty

Reviewed 5 October 2009

We stayed here overnight on route to Yellowstone for some Fall fly-fishing. It was clean, comfortable and the nicest in Wall. For the price, what more could you want??

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank TimF
Reviewed 29 September 2009

Great hotel for the price ($70ish for 1 queen bed). Clean rooms. Right downtown Wall. Can walk to all the shops very easily. Owner was great and let us check in early. I had made reservations months in advance for a mid-June trip but when we got there, there were still vacancies. Definitely worth staying if you're not looking at a big chain motel. Ice can get received from the office. There is no fridge in the room but for the price of the room it's not a problem. Would definitely recommend if you plan on staying the night in Wall and not looking to pay a whole lot.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Nothing fancy. Clean rooms and a great rate.

We had asked for a late checkout and got a cold reception to that though....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We read all the reviews and discussed them before making a reservation for one night at Sunshine Inn....ultimately, we felt compelled to experience this place! As the last reviewer said, yes, it is a very basic accommodation compared to what is commonly available in 2009 hotels and motels. We thought that came through pretty clear in the majority of the reviews, so we were prepared for that. Believe me, we have paid a lot more for a "basic" room in a tourist town and come away feeling like we didn't get what we needed: a clean place to shower, relax for a few hours, and get a good night's sleep.

Instead of going on about what wasn't there, let me tell you what was there that we liked. 1) Room rate was extremely reasonable. 2) Personal attention by the owner to each guest is priceless. John, the owner, greeted us by name at check-in and check-out. 3) Comfortable bed and pillows. Not to be taken for granted. 4) Sufficiently spacious bathroom with a big sink. Even had one of those heat lamps to help you dry off quicker after a shower, but I didn't use it! 5) Free wireless Internet. 6) Choice of numerous television channels (have seen this to be an issue in pricier hotels). 7) Complimentary morning coffee, juice and sweet rolls in the office. Although we normally choose to stay in places with full free breakfasts, we gladly took the opportunity to wander over to Wall Drug and have a bowl of fruit and a famous doughnut for breakfast. We did enjoy Sunshine Inn's coffee more than the 5-cent cup at Wall Drug! :-)

So yes, if you're looking for a place that's all about amenities, this may not be the place for you. For that matter, Wall may not be the place for you. But I'd recommend Sunshine Inn to anyone, and if we're ever in the area again, we'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SummerDriver
Reviewed 9 August 2009

It's hard to quantify and qualify an inn such as the Sunshine Inn. It is in Wall, SD which has virtually no choices for a quality vacation spot. My husband and I prefer to stay at places where we feel we can spread out a bit, feel a bit of luxury, and to certainly enjoy some amenities. None of this is available at the Sunshine Inn. However, I would not say that this is the "fault" of the Sunshine Inn....they are filling a basic niche. It is not their goal to fulfill the wants and needs of travelers such as us.

It's just frustrating to me that this wasn't more clear after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. We were initially excited to find availability at the #1 rated motel according to Trip Advisor but upon check in we were immediately disillusioned.

This motel is so basic it doesn't have (as mentioned by another reviewer) hair dryers, nor does it have shampoo, in-room coffee maker, an ice bucket (they use empty potato salad containers from the grocery store). They also still use the old bedspreads which we all wonder how many strangers have slept with before us since they've been washed. The TV is I think a 19 inch or smaller....I haven't seen a TV that small in years. And they don't even have a clock of any kind in the rooms.

We could hear people walking all night long even though we were on the top floor. Not being a construction engineer, I'm not sure how that can possibly be...but we did. But we didn't hear people talking.

So reviewers on Trip Advisor rate it a 4 and the # 1 motel in Wall. It may well be the #1 motel in Wall...it probably is. But it is so bare bones that I believe the reviewers must clearly reflect this before giving it a high score. We must all consider the different interests and needs we have in renting rooms for the evening.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 50onthego
friendlysdinnkeeper, owner at Sunshine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2009

I regret that this customer’s expectations were so startlingly unfulfilled, and am surprised that none of the issues/complaints raised in the review weren’t brought to my attention. Had they been, I would have been able to inform the customer that 1) shampoo, 2) a hair dryer, and 3) an alarm clock are available on request. We also have plenty of ice available in the office, including ice for coolers at no charge. We use ice buckets that are supplied by our institutional hotel supply source, sold to us as “ice buckets.” Our lobby coffee service is available from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Our bedspreads are washed on a regular rotation every week, in keeping with the standards of cleanliness that are repeatedly mentioned favorably in almost all the other reviews on this site (along with reviews at the Yahoo Travel and AAA sites). From the date of the review/date of stay information, it seems clear that the customer was here during the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally period, which means noise from motorcycles and riders is part of the local experience, and goes on virtually around the clock during the week. The rest of the year is markedly different, and our place is probably quieter than most due to the fact that we have neither a pool nor lounge/restaurant on the premises. I’m sorry that this customer, unlike virtually every other reviewer on this site, had nothing good to say about the Sunshine Inn, but we believe that we continue to be a value-leader in local lodging options. As a budget-oriented property we believe we offer a good, clean, comfortable night’s lodging at a very attractive price and invite readers of this site to visit our facility and check out the premises for themselves, then compare them to other options. We’re quite confident that the comparison will be favorable for us, and intend to maintain the standards that keep us that way. Sincerely, John Tsitrian, owner/manager

Reviewed 7 August 2009

Great owner, great location, very clean, comfortable beds. Good, free wifi and 30 second walk to Wall Drug. Excellent choice for a one night stay for my family of 4 to explore the town and the Badlands and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank librarychick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wall
Best Western Plains Motel
Econo Lodge Wall
Econo Lodge Wall
#8 of 11 in Wall
Badlands Interior Motel and Campground

Been to Sunshine Inn? Share your experiences!