“Quiet, Comfortable, Clean”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Wall
Corbett, Oregon
“Quiet, Comfortable, Clean”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I like Best Western hotels because they have everything you need for an affordable price and they are all a bit different. The Plains Motel was no different. It was clean and comfortable while being quiet yet close to the Interstate and within walking distance to Wall Drug and restaurants. I didn't stay long enough to try their breakfast but it looked like a nice spot.
I was very pleased.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
bwplains, Manager at Best Western Plains Motel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Glad you enjoyed our motel and our area. We hope you come see us again sometime and tell your friends about us too.

Jackie
July 7, 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Okeechobee,Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed in Wall,SD because we had a long day on the road, and we wanted to see Wall Drug. We found this Best
Western. It was okay, clean and near places we wanted to go. We stayed here for two days, actually we booked three days, but only stayed two. We had been on the road for quite a few weeks. I have no complaint about the hotel, but if I had only known we would have gone on to Rapid City. There is nothing in Wall, SD. I had been to Wall Drug 30 years ago and my husband who had never been there, I wanted him to see it. Very disappointed. I saw Wall Drug when it was the old Wall Drug. Now it is just another huge gift shop with a cafeteria. I'm not saying the food is bad, etc. but just not the same. The town has only one or two places to eat. The one we ate at was awful. So I would plan on a quick stop, see Wall Drug and continue on.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so sorry you did not enjoy our small town hospitality. We have a lot to offer around here with the National Visitors center and the Badland's National Park and one of the original old underground Missile Sites turned into an attraction to visit.

Hopefully you come see us again sometime and give us another chance.

We appreciate all comments good and bad and try to improve where we can.

Thanks

Jackie
Manager
July 30, 2014
Big Horn, Wyoming
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I usually stop at a Best Western's because I have never had a bad experience with one. I have been lucky enough to stay at well kept hotels and motels throughout most of my travels. Best Western is always a little pricier than say your Super 8 or Motel 6, but when I pay for it I believe I am paying for a little higher quality and a little better service. Not here. First of all, the front desk woman didn't understand that I had a toddler with me, so she ended up giving us a two bedroom motel room that was probably double the price. We never used the second room, but I didn't complain because the government was reimbursing me for however much I spent anyways. Big deal...but then it got worse. The room smelled bad, the floor was filthy, there were a bunch of work trucks parked close to us with roughnecks out drinking beer and being loud all night, there was little to no parking, and the continental breakfast was a complete and absolute joke. I left this establishment feeling ripped off and my entire view of the Best Western name has changed. It will be a long time before I stay at a BW again after this. The thing is, if the price would have been a bit lower...none of this would have really bothered me but when you pay $150 + for a room then you better be getting a little more than the crap I was given at this motel in Wall, SD. Shameful.

Room Tip: Stay at the Motel 6 across the street...I guarantee it's half the price.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
bwplains, Manager at Best Western Plains Motel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
I sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay with us. Unfortunately we had some crew here that had to come and help out all the people from the disaster we had last October. It was very devastating to many families and the clean up was never ending. The crew tried there best not to bother anyone and we hope you understand. Please accept our apologies on your unpleasant stay.

June 26,2014
Wichita
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Best Western is always reliable. The beds were comfortable, the pools are nice. The breakfast was just ok for me. It does seem a little pricey for the area. I would try something else I think next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Glad we could be of service to you on your vacation. We hope you come see us again sometime.
Wall is a great place to stay and enjoy some fun with your family. Spread the word.

Highland, Indiana
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We selected this hotel to be our base for exploring the Badlands National park.

This hotel looked like the classic old motels from years past. 2 story, outside access with a small balcony running along the front. If you were downstairs, you could park right in front of your room. we were upstairs, though.

The desk clerk was quite helpful and friendly and welcomed us to Wall. she recommended a place to eat and told us what was in the area.

The room was a dissapointment right off the bat. the first thing was the musty odor. We always bring a scented candle along for this.

The room was reasonably well lit and reasonably sized.

The bathroom was separate from the vanity. both were somewhat on the smaller size, but reasonably clean and updated.

The room was clean except for the musty smell.

There was fridge and microwave.

There were some outlets, but not a lot.

The one big complaint I had was the bed. It was old and terrible. Saggy in the middle and had a firm rim around the edge of the mattress so it was almost difficult to roll out of. I told the desk clerk that the bed should be thrown out.

as is typical of a hotel of this type and in this area, there are a lot of kids running around. I cannot really blame the hotel for this, but parents, please keep your kids from running up and down the balcony when others are trying to sleep.

There was a fitness area which was pretty good an a pool which we didnt use. This is a larger more spread out hotel and the fitness area and breakfast area are in a separate building. not so great if it is raining or cold.

Breakfast was average and there was not nearly enough room for all the folks in the room.

Except for the bed and the mustiness, this hotel was just OK. However it was by far the most expensive place we stayed at all week. I expected more. I wish Best Western would enforce their brand name and bring some of these places up to the standards I expect.

It is a shame that the hotels near the best sites (like the Badlands) are often not the best hotels. I guess when you are full all summer long there isn't that incentive to upgrade.

I would probably not stay at this hotel again if I am in Wall.

Room Tip: if you get a downstairs room, you can park right next to your door.
1 Thank ScubaDave16
Sorry we did not exceed your expectations. We constantly strive to do better for all our guest and appreciate your comments.

Columbus, United States
Reviewed 24 June 2014

To be honest I have been hesitant to stay at Best Western. My preconception has been that they are not at nice as other chains such as Marriott and Holiday Inn... however on our family vacation I found the "Big Chains" are not nearly as common or available as in the Midwest. MUCH TO MY SURPRISE.... all 3 Best Western's, including this one have exceeded my expectations. I have to say these experiences have changed my attitude toward BW. This was an older, but well cared for hotel. VERY CLEAN AND NICE ROOM. Rollway was already in our room as we had requested (no other hotel out of 8 so far has done that- Thank you!) Nice pool for the kids. Excellent breakfast. Awesome location for Badlands and of course Wall Drug! Badlands are a must see on your trip to the West! I would stay here again anytime!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your response . We appreciate all comments good and bad and try to use them to help improve our service.

Idaho
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel harkens back the a high end late 1960s type accommodation with some upgrades, where all the doors of each room face the parking area. The walls were a little thin and with the foot traffic constant past our door, which was a little noisy. The room fan worked great, however, which helped provide that white noise to help drown out the noise. The service was great, the room was small but clean and the king size bed was comfortable. The wifi was fast and had no problems. I loved the soft natural water which is typical for this area. They had a breakfast available with an adequate sized seating area and clean, but I didn't take advantage of breakfast except for the coffee, which was pretty good. The price was a little high compared to other Best Westerns we've stayed in, but you know what they say . . . location, location. Wall Drug is a big draw and well as a good jumping off point to the Badlands National Park. I would recommend this hotel to others.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

bwplains, Manager at Best Western Plains Motel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
thanks for your thumbs up. We will also use your other comments and see if there is anything we can do with them to help better our service to everyone. Your comments are appreciated and used to help our staff.

June 21, 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wall
MainStay Suites Rapid City
Badlands Interior Motel and Campground
Days Inn Wall
Days Inn Wall
#11 of 11 in Wall

Been to Best Western Plains Motel? Share your experiences!