“Powerful Piece of History”

More attraction details
Owner description: A small monument to the natives killed in the Wounded Knee massacre.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

A very, very sad story and piece of American history. If you have the chance, go with a native American guide if possible, you can talk to the people at the wounded knee museum, we had Tyler and Adonica and it made it way more special than had we traveled alone.

4  Thank RayH918
"indian reservation"
in 7 reviews
"american history"
in 10 reviews
"important piece of history"
"better understanding"
"open to the public"
"indian school"
"gas station"

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Some may feel this monument it not worth the drive but I disagree. When you realize the tragedy of what happen here I don't see how it cannot impact you. There were some very nice Lakota women selling some handmade quill and bead work along side the parking area. I'm glad I stopped at the site.

4  Thank Adriana S
Reviewed 26 July 2014

On my way out west, I saw a sign for the Wounded Knee Museum. I passed, but thought on my way back I would stop, which I did. The GPS put me to the closed attraction. It was then that I decided to go to the actual site. I had a good Cheyenne friend once and was familiar with the Trail of Tears. I took the long trip down to Wounded Knee, and like many others was struck by the isolation and poverty of the area. I bought a necklace from one of the local vendors and made a donation at the museum near the cemetery. It is a sad place. I found myself praying and crying at the cemetery which is out of character. We, the white man, made a tragic error that day. How can we make amends? This is not an attraction for everyone, and only special people make the out of the way journey. I, for one, am glad I did.

5  Thank TB_Paul
Reviewed 9 July 2014

as I was reading the monument, I was approached by 2 boys wanting money. The area is beautiful, and wild.
Take the time to walk up the hill, you won't be disappointed

3  Thank Brenda E
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having read the book Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee and the reviews here on TA, I knew visiting the Massacre Monument would be not an uplifting experience, but rather a difficult pilgrimage I HAD to make. The hand painted billboard explaining the event is humble and worth reading. Take some time to talk with the Lakota artisans set up at the base of the hill. One woman took great pains to share her story along with clippings from their local newspaper about the historical event and recent marches to commemorate the long trek of Big Foot's band. The artisans---their strength, compassion, and warm hearts---made this visit more bearable. One man warned us that we might encounter people on the hill who would charge us an "entry fee." He said the Memorial (cemetery) is free---and that we should tell the young men he told us so. Fortunately, we did not encounter any other folks on the hill and we were able to witness and pray in peace. Honor these souls---and real American history. Go.

6  Thank Tiffy_Bird