“Pleasant time”

Ranked #5 of 7 Yankton B&B and Inns
Cherokee, Iowa
“Pleasant time”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stay here everytime I come home to SD for a weekend. It has never been anything but pleasant. The staff have always been pleasant and courteous and the rooms get nicer everytime I am there. They go out of their way to make things comfortable. I lost my wallet when I was there, they let me stay way past checkout time without charging me and even went to the establishment where my wallet was found and mailed it home to me. Plus, it's right in the middle of town, you can walk easily for cocktails, fast food, convienience store. I will keep coming back. Unfortunately, with these smaller businesses, it's only usually the bad experiences that get reported. Let's keep small businesses IN BUSINESS!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We checked in and a woman was at the desk, she seemed nice charged us $80 for a room with 2 queen beds and micro fridge, she mentioned the manager was out and she was filling in for him, that is why we had to wait for our change on payment for the room. We got in the room the beds weren't queen they were dbl. beds and NO micro/fridge in our room, we were tired and left it alone. So we went and got dinner for our family, while we were gone we told our eldest son who is 17 to go to the office and get some ice. When we got back our son said the Manager was very mad and needed to talk to us when we got back. Well he knocked on the door to give us back our change for the room, didn't say a thing. My husband smokes outside and went out to have a smoke, while he was out there the maintenance man came out with the manager and walked up to my husband, the manager asked how old are your boys, we should have charged you a lot more then you were charged, our boys are 13 and 17, he said we thought they were babies not older boys, my husband said they are still OUR kids, I didn't make the mistake you did, we paid what we paid we have nothing to do with that. The maintenance man (a heavy set black man) actually started yelling at my husband and bucked up on him and said you need to pay or we can take this around the back, my husband said lets go right here big boy, he thinks because he is big my husband would let it go, he backed down and my husband came inside to tell me what had just happened, needless to say it made for a horrible night, we had to stay we didn't want to pack EVERYTHING up and leave it being late already, but now it left us worried about them doing something to our vehicle, so me and my husband were up at every noise we heard outside and it was horrible. Needless to say we wont go here EVER again, we travel for business and this is one of the worse motels we have stayed in. BEWARE folks just pay the extra money and go to the nice motel off of HWY 50 Kelly Inn (Best Western) we did the next night and it was awesome. If you stay here you will regret it....GOOD LUCK!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Victoria C
bellevue
Reviewed 30 October 2012

carpets are filthy, sheets had feces or blood on them.... idk didnt inspect any further, just covered back up with the burn hole comforter . pillows have no pillow cases. no heat in room, unless you use the plug in heater that is provided at the foot of the bed not even 2 feet away from comforter.... fire issue... refrigerator leaking water all over counter and plug dangling from extra adaptor plug in from wall in water..... tub drain or plug dont hold water... leaks all the water right out.... tried plugging with wash rag... no luck, metal ring around drain leaks or tub itself leaks..... non skid strips in tub worn down so you slip in the shower while taking a shower with soap from hand dispenser in corner of shower like public restrooms use.... shower has a light fixture above it with old porch like globe on it with a plug in so i guess you can plug something in and electrocute yourself if you want after the experience of this room.... 2 towels supplied in room... no little hotel shampoo or soap or ammenities like other hotels supplied..... oh well... when you sleep ... sleep with extra clothes on and shoes so if you need to leave in hurry.... i slept with clothes, shoes, 2 jackets and all the lights on and one eye open on a concrete slab... ready to run if i needed to.... and in case of fire or dispute next door.... some good things happen at this hotel after 12 midnite..... and walls are thin..... travelers beware!!!!!!

Room Tip: ask to see room first... we viewed online... and wow.... not at all what they show you online.... i...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank smbmf03
Denver
Reviewed 4 October 2012

The pictures online are obviously from a different place. We made the reservations online and once there we were charged an extra 21.00. The room was dirty and I was scared to take my shoes off and walk on the carpet. The room smelled so bad of bleach that it was burning our nose. We had to leave windows open just to be able to stay in there. HORRIBLE!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank BonnieA411
san diego, ca
Reviewed 15 July 2012

The Inn is fairly small and more for the budget traveler. The room was small and needed some airing out before I was able to sleep. After this was done though, i slept well. The staff was nice and the owner and staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 14 July 2011

PROS - room was very clean, except for greasy/dirty front screen hidden by draperies, and pervasive smell of smoke in the bathroom (of no-smoking room)
After charging me more than they had confirmed by telephone, they agreed (after some argument) to charge what they had promised.

CONS- swollen front and bathroom doors and frames required forceful slamming to close and hard pushing to open. At one point neither I nor maid (nor adult inside) could get the unlocked front door open. After I forced it open with my foot and body weight a repairman came to alleviate the problem (and left the rubble on the floor inside).
Front window adjoining parking lot could not be locked because it didn't fit into it's casing.
Shower ran out of hot water around 8 AM.
Air conditioner not under control - temperature in mid-60s for 2 days and nights. Office manager said there was one central control for all of the units, but she could not adjust the temperature up or down. She could shut the unit off (outside temperature in the 90s) or turn it on.
On breaks between getting into rooms to service them, maid and handyman sat on an empty planter box in front of our room smoking..
Breakfast room was out of milk, coffee, pastries.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank TrekkerJohn
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2011

First I will say that the rooms were freshly painted and clean and the beds were comfortable. But even for the $70 rate I got through Travelocity (They tried to charge $84) it was not worth the money.
- The air conditioning was permanently in the low 60s. They claimed to have no control over it and said their only option was to lend us a space heater. We just slept in layers and socks. (in July!)
- The continental breakfast didn't really materialize. The staff didn't keep the coffee made - one time made it with vanilla flavoring dumped in (yuck) and Sunday hadn't been up by 8am to make it at all - I and other guests were making pots. Food was cereal and individually wrapped honey buns (like from 7-11). "Juice" was some reddish Sunny Delight type drink.
- The pool was a bit scary looking. Clean water, but deck and surfaces in need of serious maintenance.
- Their night staff mixed up all the rates for people checking in - the young manager the next morning had many disgruntled customers to deal with.
Won't choose this one again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family