“Pleasantly Surprised”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Nashville, Tennessee
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

What a wonderful surprise for the Brentwood shopping plaza in which this establishment resides! I am all about having TASTY and interesting healthy choices and here they are. I have eaten here twice and will definitely return. It is not a romantic venue, it's a great lunch, casual post shopping night dinner place. It is clean and the service is great. It is set up in the Pei Wei Style of reviewing a menu board, placing your order, being given a number and sitting down where they will serve it to you. They do offer beer and wines, also in the same style as Pei Wei (to my knowledge the restaurant is not the same franchise ownership, despite these similarities).

Humdingers specializes in fish and chicken (so don't go in expecting hotdogs), and let me tell you that as of now (hopefully they won't grow comfortable with their success and slip like many do), they do these items to pretty close to perfection. The founder wanted the restaurant to feature a South African flair and this adds a unique quality to the flavors. Piri Piri (South African for pepper pepper) is the base sauce that you'll find offered (or not, if you're not adventurous) as toppings or sides for many of the entrees. If you choose the Piri Piri (which I recommend) it comes pretty benign with regards to heat. They leave it up to you by providing additional 4 levels of Piri Piri sauce on the table for you to make your own adjustments.

I've had the chicken tacos which were superb and light for a lunch bite. Everything tasted fresh, and HOT (I like my food to be HOT in temperature--not luke warm like its been under a warming plate for 2 hours) and was nicely presented. I was a smidge disappointed for dinner that I was all excited to try how their amberjack would be with the Piri Piri flair and while it was only 6pm on a Saturday night, they said they ran out...so, I switched to Mahi Mahi which was wonderful in flavor
but just over cooked by about a minute. It was certainly not worth sending back. Some people may like their fish well done, I like mine still wet inside. Next time, I'll just make that known as the cooks are right there and they are more accommodating to customizing what you want in this restaurant!

Also, in addition, I did see families in there with children who really seemed to be digging the plates that the restaurant put together for them, so I'd say it had the kid seal of approval as well. There you have it. Try them before they get super busy, because I predict they will. They are still fairly new and being discovered by word of mouth....so here's my word...go now and then YOU spread the word.

• Visited March 2014

“Second time here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Second visit. Enjoyed the food just as much as last time. The breadsticks are amazing. Order a cup of clam chowder this time with my meal and it was below par compared to the rest of their food. Fish is always cooked to order and I enjoy eating here.

Visited March 2014
Ohio
“Healthy "fast" food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We were visiting the Nashville area in Aug '13 and decided to stop here. I would compare it to a fresh seafood version of Chipotle (to me, that is a compliment). The food was very good - I had the amberjack, son had the salmon. Both were grilled and very tasty. It was a little on the expensive side (compared to fast food), but reasonable when you consider the portion size and variety of the menu. We had the shrimp appetizer (similar to BFG's bang-bang shrimp) and I thought it was good with just the right amount of kick.

• Visited August 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had heard of piri piri chicken on tv a while back but none of the places serving it were near, so when I saw that this one opened up we were excited to try it. We got the boneless chicken breast (medium heat), and the fried portobello mushrooms. Both were excellent. We will go back when we are in the are in the area. The shopping center it is in is great too, there are many places to eat.

Visited November 2013
Alabaster, Alabama, United States
“Rather Disappointed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I was on a business trip to Nashville and stayed on the outskirts in Brentwood, TN. I read the reviews and this place was compared to one of my favorite restaurants in the Birmingham, AL area- Bonefish Grill. Specifically, the shrimp appetizer was compared to Bonefish's "Bang Bang Shrimp." The comparison was not even close. Shrimp was rather bland. Grilled Mahi Mahi with mushroom sauce was extremely spicy. I was very disappointed with the sweet potato fries- the taste does not mix well with the dish. I found it rather pricey as well considering the fast-food atmosphere. The best thing about Humdinger's was the politeness of the staff. A good restaurant cannot survive on that alone. This chain needs to find itself. I can't understand the logic of why it is ranked as one of Brentwood's top restaurants.

• Visited November 2013