“Bought by Tenno, needs work”
Review of Miyako Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“Bought by Tenno, needs work”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My favorite sushi place in town, Midori, was too far, so I was meeting three friends at Miyako when we discovered Tenno had bought it out. Okay, the West End location is all right - no Koto, but all right. So I suggested we try it. Mistake. The salmon sushi was way below par, cuts of salmon that rightly belonged in a cheap salmon salad, or in a roll where they'd be hidden. The ikura was average. The eel sushi was dreadful; overcooked, dried out. The shrimp shumai, which should have come with mustard, came instead with a strange ponzu-like dipping sauce. The miso soup was watery, the seaweed salad was drowning in oil, and all in all there was absolutely nothing in anything the four of us ordered that I would recommend to a stranger, let alone a friend.
Adding insult to injury, they played opera - loudly - for the first half of our meal, and when we complained, they switched over to Christmas music.
Go figure.
Like I said, I'm willing to try it once more in a month or so, when hopefully things have settled, but for right now, I'd suggest Hanabi - which at its worst is a bit better than the meal we had at Tenno - or if you get there early and can sit at the sushi bar, Peter's.

It's unfortunate that in a city Nashville's size, there is absolutely nothing to compare with Atlanta for sushi, Thai (Smiling Elephant excluded here!), or Chinese. We really do need a bunch of the hole-in-the-wall strip mall places other large cities wind up with - limited seating, great food, basic funky but friendly atmosphere.

• Visited May 2013

“Good sushi”
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

Plenty of different sushi options and also have regular hot dishes. The staff is friendly and service is quick. Reasonable price for sushi . We are frequent flyers here.

Knoxiville, TN
“so so sushi”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I'm on a sushi kick...and have had some very good sushi lately in Knoxville, TN. I went to Miyako while overnight in a neighboring town to get my fix. The service was very good, the bento box offering was tasty. The sushi left me disappointed...would recommend this restaurant for lunch (entrees were good), but not for sushi.

• Visited July 2012
“Not the experience we expected.”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

With all the great reviews we were excited to try this restaurant. Boy were we disappointed. Our waitress was very rude and unattentive. The food was decent but the sushi was bland. It took forever to get our food. Won't be going back here ever again.

Cookeville, Tennessee
“My wife and I love sushi and love Miyako Restaurant”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We've been stopping in a few times a year when in Nashville overnight. Sushi is fresh and well prepared and the service is excellent.

Visited March 2012