“Difficult to Judge”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Vittles was a difficult place to evaluate. It was recommended by a friend who provided good directions. It is not easy to spot from the main roads. Thoroughbred Lane appears to only go west but if you turn east (looks like O'Charley's parking lot) you drive ride into it. Vittles is an old Southern style meat and three (side dishes). Hamburger - bun, tomato, etc were excellent with the taste of fresh local; meat seemed to be the normal frozen commercial burger. Fries had a fresh potato taste but were a little oily for us. Chicken and dumpling was excellent, dumpling were large square flat (like my PA Dutch grandma's), all white meat chicken and large serving. The green beans (like my KY Grandma's) had an excellent favor and appear fresh and local. But they were served at near room temperature (I am known to like my food hot). Cole slaw is cole slaw. On the other hand the corn bread was unique. I grown up eating corn bread across the country but never had any like Vittles corn bread. The favor was average. However the single muffin was heavy and hard as a hockey puck. If I had dropped it the plate would probably have been chipped.

The average age of the customers for the evening meal (6:00 pm) was 78. It was a senior citizen crowd. At the time we are there were no children. The standard menu did not have anything special for children. There maybe a children's menu we did have a need.

Our experience was so mixed that average is the best we can say about this establishment. Some was very good, some was not so good. It is worth a visit to experience an old style southern restaurant which might well die soon if all of the local customers are in the age group we observed.

One word of caution. Be sure to remember the prices listed on the menu. THAT WILL BE THE LAST TIME YOU SEE A PRICE. Your check will NOT have any prices or a total on it. The cashier totals it and tells you the amount including sales tax. State tax of just under 10% plus any other local taxes. No receipt is offered.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have visited this restaurant 3 times over the past 8 years on my way to Florida. The food has been very good each time, and the service is excellent. You can find old favorites like meatloaf, "real" mashed potatoes, lima beans, black-eyed peas, hand-battered catfish, etc. If you want a simple, very tasty meal that you won't find anywhere else, I recommend going to Vittles. My only complaint is that the prices are a bit high for this type of food (average meal is $12).

1  Thank MUTigerInIL
Reviewed 16 May 2013

really enjoyed the meal and the banana pudding, a good variet of entrees all looked good I will be back for more

Reviewed 12 March 2013

I must first say that I have eaten at Vittles only once. I ordered the meatloaf, which was actually pretty bad. It was just bland, very little taste, and seemed to be poor quality meat -- or it had way too much breading/oatmeal whatever they used, I had to pour ketchup all over it to give it any flavor. I think that if you are going to be a meat-and-three in the south, there are some dishes that you absolutely have to nail. Meatloaf is at the top of that list. Others on the list are country-fried steak, which my wife ordered (it was average) and turnip greens, which were very good but it's hard to screw up turnip greens. Maybe I'll give this place another chance, but I doubt it.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

This a very nice family oriented restaurant serving good food at reasonable prices. Service is fast and friendly. I had the catfish lunch today. The fish was good and the jalapeño hushpuppies were outstanding. Be sure and check the specials board as you enter.