“Typical meat and 3 place...”
Review of Vittles

Vittles
Ranked #18 of 145 Restaurants in Brentwood
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stopped here for a quick bite before leaving town, and we're glad we did. It was a bit crowded (being Sunday brunch hour), but we were still able to get a table and prompt service. The waitress was friendly and the food came out quick. Price was reasonable and the food tasted like it should.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

A real down home cooking restaurant. Food was excellent and service was very good. The pot roast was cooked perfectly and the mashed potatoes were lump free.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Vittles has great Southern cooks who know how to make meat & 3 Veggies a great experience. Small restaurant but well worth going for lunch. You won't regret it.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Vittles was a difficult place to evaluate. It was recommended by a friend who provided good directions. It is not easy to spot from the main roads. Thoroughbred Lane appears to only go west but if you turn east (looks like O'Charley's parking lot) you drive ride into it. Vittles is an old Southern style meat and three (side dishes). Hamburger - bun, tomato, etc were excellent with the taste of fresh local; meat seemed to be the normal frozen commercial burger. Fries had a fresh potato taste but were a little oily for us. Chicken and dumpling was excellent, dumpling were large square flat (like my PA Dutch grandma's), all white meat chicken and large serving. The green beans (like my KY Grandma's) had an excellent favor and appear fresh and local. But they were served at near room temperature (I am known to like my food hot). Cole slaw is cole slaw. On the other hand the corn bread was unique. I grown up eating corn bread across the country but never had any like Vittles corn bread. The favor was average. However the single muffin was heavy and hard as a hockey puck. If I had dropped it the plate would probably have been chipped.

The average age of the customers for the evening meal (6:00 pm) was 78. It was a senior citizen crowd. At the time we are there were no children. The standard menu did not have anything special for children. There maybe a children's menu we did have a need.

Our experience was so mixed that average is the best we can say about this establishment. Some was very good, some was not so good. It is worth a visit to experience an old style southern restaurant which might well die soon if all of the local customers are in the age group we observed.

One word of caution. Be sure to remember the prices listed on the menu. THAT WILL BE THE LAST TIME YOU SEE A PRICE. Your check will NOT have any prices or a total on it. The cashier totals it and tells you the amount including sales tax. State tax of just under 10% plus any other local taxes. No receipt is offered.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have visited this restaurant 3 times over the past 8 years on my way to Florida. The food has been very good each time, and the service is excellent. You can find old favorites like meatloaf, "real" mashed potatoes, lima beans, black-eyed peas, hand-battered catfish, etc. If you want a simple, very tasty meal that you won't find anywhere else, I recommend going to Vittles. My only complaint is that the prices are a bit high for this type of food (average meal is $12).

1  Thank MUTigerInIL