“This is a nice, fun property.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chapel Hill
Henry Horton State Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Franklin, TN
“This is a nice, fun property.”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This is an older hotel, and that shows in some ways, but I think the staff has done a great job of keeping it clean. And I also have to brag on the desk staff, as they were always helpful with any questions we had. This was a quick Father's Day weekend trip, and my kids (younger) loved the property. The inn is just across the road from a very large pool, that includes a kiddie pool next door. Also on property are a couple or three playgrounds scattered about, swings, volleyball, basketball courts, horseshoes, and etc. There were also plenty of grills and picnic tables, and I have to think it would always be fairly easy to find an open one, almost anytime. There's also golf, but we didn't get a chance to try that.

The only slight negative was that the walls seemed thin, and we could hear our neighbor very well. That's a small issue, and probably reflective of this hotel being a few decades old. The TV was small and antiquated, but we weren't there to watch television. Water was hot with a lot of pressure, and towels were soft and plentiful. As a state park property I didn't expect a Hilton, and was honestly surprised at how comfortable we were.

Because this was our first trip to the park we wanted to try out the buffet, and it was great. It was a full house, but our servers were attentive, and everyone there was great. Saturday night the options were catfish, pulled pork, fried chicken and a ton of other vegetables and desserts. My kids loved it so much that we also ate breakfast there Sunday morning. It was also great. One of my kids is still five, and he ate free. The other is older, and dinner for her was around $7 plus drink. My Saturday night dinner was around $13 or $14, including drink, and breakfast was around $9. Contrary to a couple other reviews I've read, if there were problems, they have been corrected. And if this pricing is a little too expensive, there are a couple of restaurants (Sonic, Mexican, and I think a meat-and-three) up the road in Chapel Hill, and a grocery store also nearby so you can grill or picnic. Lewisburg is maybe 20 minutes south with more options.

I would actually prefer to rate this property as a 3.5, because the great staff outweighs a somewhat dated property. We live fairly close, and I can say we will absolutely visit here again. I especially want to try the walking trails, which we never found time to walk.

Room Tip: I would recommend second floor so that you have the benefit of a high ceiling that follows the roofl...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BattlegroundTravel

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Deep South
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed in the Park Inn. It was very nice, but somewhat dated. Very comfortable rooms -- 2 double beds (not queen). Only used the golf course (very good and fun with excellent clubhouse and pro shop), so don't know what the rest of the park had to offer. But it looked nice. Back to the room ... second best shower I've ever had. Water pressure will knock you down. It was wonderful. Only negative I could find was the TV reception. TVs were a bit old and very snow reception on every screen I saw. We were there Sunday through Tuesday and the dining room was closed, so I can't address that. But I would still go back in a heartbeat. Beautiful park and very friendly staff (though not a large staff).

Room Tip: Remember the dining room is only open Wednesday through Saturday.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tupelodan
Texas
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We rented a rustic cabin here for a Wedding that we were going too. The cabins come with, towels, soap, bedsheets/blankets, firewood, beds, furniture cable tv, basic kitchen pots and pans, plates, forks, glasses, coffee maker, toaster. There is no wi-fi out here....I used a Virgin Mobil hotspot for Internet access... You will need to bring salt and pepper, coffee, groceries, etc... The park is confortable, with a nice hotel lobby, and pick-nic tables. There are several restaurants and stores close by within 3 or 4 minutes. The cabins are heated with electric heat, and fireplace. there are ceiling fans, and ac window units here as wel. The park rangers patrol the area day and night. GPS says that there is a Bucca-de Bepto 20 or so miles away. This is a favorite Italian restaurant that me and the family love! Some of the things here are very dated, however, the cabin is very confortable.

Room Tip: Very quite area. Good for pic-nics
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim45Texas
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Where do I start...The fall out shelter you will be staying in looks like barracks with NO view of anything but maybe other nasty parts of the barracks (inside the rooms are not much better). The "buffet" is mediocre at best and HIGHLY overpriced. Really one of the worst parks in Tennessee, however there are plenty that are very nice and I suggest doing some research and going to one of those. Avoid this one!!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Marriott
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michael J

Travellers are raving about these Chapel Hill hotels

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The park and golf course get high ratings from most people who experience them. It's the restaurant management that generates bitter disappointment.

A staff member of the restaurant told me, three or fours governors ago. that the food service manager was the governor's aunt. And therein lies the problem. Park department managers -- as well as the
cabinet member with ultimate responsibility for parks -- are appointed as political and family favors rather than for professional ability. Service to park customers overall is secondary to political obligations. Politicians can affect a state employee's future. A restaurant customer can't.

Resort parks in Kentucky appear to have professional food service managers. I've enjoyed six of them and was impressed with consistent professionalism. In Tennessee my experience has been that the restaurant in Montgomery Bell State Park has had exceptionally good management. Living in Nashville, I'm planning to take a guest out there in a few days.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Neil T
Fireball92771
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

After reading a couple of bad reviews I was scared we might not enjoy this trip... it was one of the best weekends I have had in years. The picnic tables, with grills located along side the duck river were awesome. In fact we saved a ton of money by going to the grocery and having all but one of our meals at the picnic area.

It was the opening day of dove season when we were there so it was a lot noisier than we might have liked but that was no fault or discredit to the park. From what we saw the campground was well maintained as were the hiking trails.

We canoed the Duck River which was a blast and my husband caught a monster small mouth. ( That fish is my guarantee to return to this patk again!)

Everything in the park was clearly marked...we didn't have a single problem finding anything. The main highway goes through the middle of the park...picnic area, the restaurant, inn and main trail head are on one side of the road...camping is on the opposite side. The park isn't scattered by any stretch of the imagination, but if your one of those people who wants to park the car in one spot and see it all, you'd probably fair better to find a much smaller park near a city than to tackle a large state park.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank fireball92771
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Trip Advisor
Horton State Park at Chapel Hill, Tennessee
Our multigenerational family enjoyed our Father’s Day weekend stay at Horton. As passing-by travelers heading south from Chicago, we wanted to stay inside a park and not near our trip route. We simply could not find cabins available anywhere at the last moment until we found Horton with rooms available at the inn. This is a state park, with burnish red brick and mortar walls, knotty pine panels, solid wood tables and chairs, and industrial doors befitting a park. It was a sight for sore eyes after 11 hours on the road and the personnel were patient and accommodating as we asked for a nice view from the room. The room was ample, the water hot (it takes knowledge on how to work the sturdy heated water flow and pressure), the AC cold (little noisy) and the beds agreeable to a good night’s sleep.
We grilled, swam the river, and hiked the trails. There are plenty of picnic tables and grills along the river with all sorts of challenging paths to get down there through the trees. The cliff rock formations along the water’s edge were beautiful and the water warm. The Hickory Ridge trail was another surprise with Its elevations suddenly opening up to sink holes with cool caves, overhead arching trees giving rest from the sun and a platform for the choral of many birds. The Wild Turkey Trail was gentler, smooth walking in comparison, with different bird songs, no turkeys, and some benches to sit down.
There was free Wifi, large pool, tennis courts, basketball court, horseshoe pit, but my granddaughter enjoyed the waitresses who were personable and always complementary, “aren’t you cute.” My step-son thought the best of the river and the scenery and his 200 photos showed it. My husband stuffed himself at the buffet breakfasts, “it was good.” He thought the room was average and adequate, we didn’t stay much inside, after all it is a park with rocking chairs outside of the lodge and beautiful natural settings to sunbathe, read, take photos, make memories and hike. The peaceful atmosphere, stretching greens of lawns around the facilities, distant loll of the train, along with endless bird songs was intoxicating. Body tick check is absolutely necessary, though.

Room Tip: There are suites on the end that have the microwave and refrigerator for only 5 dollars more. We sta...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Fairfield Inn & Suites Columbia
Hampton Inn Spring Hill
Hampton Inn Spring Hill
#1 of 2 in Spring Hill

Been to Henry Horton State Park Inn? Share your experiences!