“Old, Historic and Convenient ”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chapel Hill
Henry Horton State Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Mountain Brook, Alabama, United States
“Old, Historic and Convenient ”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

When you call ask for the inn.

Family gathered for a funeral in nearby Lawrenceville, Eagleville areas. Perfectly located, and they gave us a discounted price for rooms as well as the restaurant/buffet. (Salad bar and Mainly fried southern food) also the Inn is one of the only, if not the only place to stay off the Columbia exit off of I-65.

It needs to be updated as it looks the same as it did the last time I stayed there 15 years ago. The huge rock fireplaces are beautiful. Free bike rentals. Area for skeet shoot, hiking etc.

Second floor rooms well insulated with their rough brick walls. Beds- if you have a air mattress bring it. Bathroom: small but efficient
Sink is outside the toilet and shower area. There is a bar and shelf there as a hanging closet. But plenty of drawer space.

Also there are 'den' type areas with TV's in the lobby and upstairs.
We felt safe and everyone at the property was nice.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Stephanae B

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The inn is is good condition for it's age. Unfortunately, it has not been maintained. Mattress in need of replacement. Carpets need to be replaced. An overall update is essential. The staff are kind and doing everything they can with no dollars for maintenance. (Example, the downstairs Men's room had facilities for three,one urinal had been removed some time ago, the second was 'bagged' as out of service) There was a television in the room, but the signal was so poor, you could not watch the program. Overall, the facility was quiet. The air conditioning worked well.
The restaurant is closed weekdays during breakfast. Otherwise, the usual frozen and fried fare and canned vegetables are served.

Prices are reasonable. A non refundable deposit is required when you make the reservation.

If you are planning on spending time at the park and just wish for a quiet place to sleep on a worn out mattress for a few dollars, this is your place. Pets are accepted with advance reservations.

Using AAA's 5 star rating system, I would rate this one star. Just basic well worn amenities.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have direct access outside. Second floor rooms have small balcony with a very sm...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tim H

Travellers are raving about these Chapel Hill hotels

jasonrscottdotcom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I recently aided in coordinating a conference of over 100 people at Henry Horton. Exceptional level of service. Everyone we worked with regarding our conference from the park manager to the servers in the restaurant went above and beyond to assure our conference flowed as smoothly as possible. Challenges were dealt with swiftly and when all was said and done, our members consistently expressed favorable opinions of the staff, the food and the general atmosphere of the park. That's not to say that it is perfect, the facilities are a bit dated and the park could benefit from some updating, but all-in-all, the value for the money combined with the high level of customer service will certainly be bringing us back in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Tennessee
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Great room size, and very clean, decent beds, outstanding service, restaurant across the street was excellent. Room amenities like a micro wave, fridge were not in the room. However the park and surrounding area is beautiful. fishing a nice golf course right across the street. facilities available to handle large group functions. Swimming pool is seasonal and in my opinion season was way too short it was hot this past weekend (Sept), price was reasonable as state parks go.

Room Tip: They have specialty rooms so if your going call early and ask for them ie they have 3 pet friendly r...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hammerholt
Terre Haute, Indiana
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We frequent many state parks in our travels, so we are used to outdated decor, but this looked like the shining! Impossible to see the room numbers from parking lot, we had to dig our flashlight out of suitcase to find our room. Room numbers are not in order! I asked for directions from front desk and no help was given. When we finally got to the room we foundation door that led to the interior of inn, this would have been helpful information. We were going to make due and check out early and go to the city the next day, until I had to wake my husband up to kill two cockroaches and one brown recluse. Needless to say, we immediately left. Also the so called wifi rooms searched for the entire time we were there. Also if you are arriving at night be prepared for few signs directing you to their location.

Room Tip: Find another location to stay!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Monica C
Franklin, TN
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This is an older hotel, and that shows in some ways, but I think the staff has done a great job of keeping it clean. And I also have to brag on the desk staff, as they were always helpful with any questions we had. This was a quick Father's Day weekend trip, and my kids (younger) loved the property. The inn is just across the road from a very large pool, that includes a kiddie pool next door. Also on property are a couple or three playgrounds scattered about, swings, volleyball, basketball courts, horseshoes, and etc. There were also plenty of grills and picnic tables, and I have to think it would always be fairly easy to find an open one, almost anytime. There's also golf, but we didn't get a chance to try that.

The only slight negative was that the walls seemed thin, and we could hear our neighbor very well. That's a small issue, and probably reflective of this hotel being a few decades old. The TV was small and antiquated, but we weren't there to watch television. Water was hot with a lot of pressure, and towels were soft and plentiful. As a state park property I didn't expect a Hilton, and was honestly surprised at how comfortable we were.

Because this was our first trip to the park we wanted to try out the buffet, and it was great. It was a full house, but our servers were attentive, and everyone there was great. Saturday night the options were catfish, pulled pork, fried chicken and a ton of other vegetables and desserts. My kids loved it so much that we also ate breakfast there Sunday morning. It was also great. One of my kids is still five, and he ate free. The other is older, and dinner for her was around $7 plus drink. My Saturday night dinner was around $13 or $14, including drink, and breakfast was around $9. Contrary to a couple other reviews I've read, if there were problems, they have been corrected. And if this pricing is a little too expensive, there are a couple of restaurants (Sonic, Mexican, and I think a meat-and-three) up the road in Chapel Hill, and a grocery store also nearby so you can grill or picnic. Lewisburg is maybe 20 minutes south with more options.

I would actually prefer to rate this property as a 3.5, because the great staff outweighs a somewhat dated property. We live fairly close, and I can say we will absolutely visit here again. I especially want to try the walking trails, which we never found time to walk.

Room Tip: I would recommend second floor so that you have the benefit of a high ceiling that follows the roofl...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BattlegroundTravel
Deep South
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We stayed in the Park Inn. It was very nice, but somewhat dated. Very comfortable rooms -- 2 double beds (not queen). Only used the golf course (very good and fun with excellent clubhouse and pro shop), so don't know what the rest of the park had to offer. But it looked nice. Back to the room ... second best shower I've ever had. Water pressure will knock you down. It was wonderful. Only negative I could find was the TV reception. TVs were a bit old and very snow reception on every screen I saw. We were there Sunday through Tuesday and the dining room was closed, so I can't address that. But I would still go back in a heartbeat. Beautiful park and very friendly staff (though not a large staff).

Room Tip: Remember the dining room is only open Wednesday through Saturday.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Baymont Inn & Suites Columbia Maury
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 9 in Columbia

Been to Henry Horton State Park Inn? Share your experiences!